Take cars or not?

Taffyowen

We are planning to move over to Adelaide in the next 12 months and dont know what to do about our cars here in the UK. We have 2 cars both under 5 years old (a land rover and Golf) both in good condition and wonder if its worth selling them before hand or take them with us. I hear cars are expensive in Australia - they are both good little cars but will it be worth taking them when you consider the freight costs and any other associated costs. We may just take one vehicle with us in the container with everything else if you can do this also. Any feedback is great and for those who have taken vehicles over any information on what you need to do would be great.

Many thanks

We are planning on taking our volvo with us. It is already fitted with hand controls so saves me any hassel.

We have a quote for a 40ft container which will hold everything in the house and the car at approx £5000.

Which to us is sensible. The movers actually come to the house clean the car and pack it there and then and then pack the house too.

Yes we will still have import duties etc... but the car is all paid for and only 5 years old so to us since we are going to have to have 40ft container then it is the cheapest option.

Also means we will only have to purchase one car when we get over.

We are planning on taking our volvo with us. It is already fitted with hand controls so saves me any hassel.

We have a quote for a 40ft container which will hold everything in the house and the car at approx £5000.

Which to us is sensible. The movers actually come to the house clean the car and pack it there and then and then pack the house too.

Yes we will still have import duties etc... but the car is all paid for and only 5 years old so to us since we are going to have to have 40ft container then it is the cheapest option.

Also means we will only have to purchase one car when we get over.

Sounds good - do you mind me asking who with?

I'd give Ironchef over on PIO a shout. Iron Lady imports I think they are. He'll be able to tell you if it's worth it in monetary value to ship.

I'd be cautious about the LR without more research. I see a few on the road here but not many. Other 4WD's are king here. I'd research maintenance costs and repairs on that here as could be expensive if limited options for repairs etc around. Perhaps research resale value of imported vehicles should you ever wish to sell them on.

Unless your cars are something super special probably not worth it. Customs will want you to steam clean it within an inch of its life then some and could take ages to arrive. People I have spoken to who did bring cars regretted it - lots of unforseen costs/problems. But each to their own.

• 8 months later...

Yes you can ship your car in the same container they just put a frame around the car PSS could have done it for us I did enquire but was do not worth it so we sold our cars

If you ship a vehicle in a sole container, can you ship your other belongings in the same container? that seems maybe a more cost-effective way of doing it?

I agree totally so many problems this end they are so strict here

Unless your cars are something super special probably not worth it. Customs will want you to steam clean it within an inch of its life then some and could take ages to arrive. People I have spoken to who did bring cars regretted it - lots of unforseen costs/problems. But each to their own.
Edited by NicF
fixed quote

We have looked into this as we have a 7 seater that is uner 5 years old and has been fab. However despite having a sole container it really didnt seem worth it when we broke down all the costs and procedures in terms of customs, procedures to prepare it for shipping and registration. There was a very good post i think either on here or poms in oz by someone who shipped his Audi who broke down all the costs. We have decided to just sell and sort out another when we arrive. If i can find the link i will post it.