Packers here Monday...starting to feel the pressure

wozzie2202

After what seemed like a calm run up we are now living in chaos with piles of stuff everywhere, anxiously awaiting the packers on Monday. It doesn't help as I work from home so constantly see it everywhere!! If I move anything else from one pile to another or in to a secure cupboard marked "not to go" I may go slightly mad. That coupled with kids removing things you have already put in to a pile to play with...how dare they play with their toys:wacko:. It would have been so much easier if they had just let us packed some bits ourselves, but that wasn't allowed.:sad:, so we have a weekend of more sorting, segregating and packing and I think by Tuesday when it's all gone I will sit in our empty lounge and down a bottle of red. :yes::yes:. Having moved 4-5 times in the last 10 years it's not something I'm unfamiliar with but this one has been particularly challenging and not to be repeated in a hurry! How did you all feel on the run up to your removals. Our stuff goes about 4 weeks before us so we're camping out in our home for the remainder of the time...only hope I don't end up keeping back too much stuff which puts us over our weight allowance on the flight!! Roll on next week, and not a box in sight.

Same boat we have our stuff uplifted on 12th and 13th of April - have packed suitcases that will be shipped and odds and sods but also trying to keep the house tidy because it's on th market Clothes that will go with us are all in one wardrobe but plan no to carry too much as luckily we have clothes at our sons allready Having said that the hubby needs his suit the weekend after the shippers are here for a wedding but I have organised that the shippers will leave a box with us , hubby will wear said suit then the box will go to the shippers with the car which leaves the day before we do

I must admit once the furniture and car has gone I will say phew and try to relax ,more worried about the dog than anything else.

Moving is stressful at any time moving thousands of miles I don't want to hear the M word again

After what seemed like a calm run up we are now living in chaos with piles of stuff everywhere, anxiously awaiting the packers on Monday. It doesn't help as I work from home so constantly see it everywhere!! If I move anything else from one pile to another or in to a secure cupboard marked "not to go" I may go slightly mad. That coupled with kids removing things you have already put in to a pile to play with...how dare they play with their toys:wacko:. It would have been so much easier if they had just let us packed some bits ourselves, but that wasn't allowed.:sad:, so we have a weekend of more sorting, segregating and packing and I think by Tuesday when it's all gone I will sit in our empty lounge and down a bottle of red. :yes::yes:. Having moved 4-5 times in the last 10 years it's not something I'm unfamiliar with but this one has been particularly challenging and not to be repeated in a hurry! How did you all feel on the run up to your removals. Our stuff goes about 4 weeks before us so we're camping out in our home for the remainder of the time...only hope I don't end up keeping back too much stuff which puts us over our weight allowance on the flight!! Roll on next week, and not a box in sight.

A TIP put everything that must NOT be packed in one room and put a sign on the door so that the packers do NOT go in there.I have known people have important documents and other things packed and caused no end of trouble.

A TIP put everything that must NOT be packed in one room and put a sign on the door so that the packers do NOT go in there.I have known people have important documents and other things packed and caused no end of trouble.

Tip Two

Scan all important documents to a laptop external hard drive usb stick and carry with you

our documents we need to carry are in a a locked hand trolley in the room that will be out of bounds to the shippers

Back up phone numbers as well I had my bag and phone snatched in Malaysia and lost a lot of contacts

Wow....exciting times ahead. Try to keep focused on that, I know it's easier said than done mind. I must admit when our container left it felt like a huge weight was lifted! It was dealt with! Sorted!! Also I thought oh **** we are actually doing this!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!

Good luck on Monday :)

We self packed and shipped using a MoveCube which was ideal for us. Meant we shipped far less furniture wise but we didn't mind that as we stayed with family for the first 7 months.

I remember going through the emotions sorting it all out though. Great for a de clutter though 2.5 years on we seem to have more stuff than ever! :err:

I remember the morning before we left. Son was at school, husband and I were cleaning the house one last time, chucking out all the last few bits and so on. I sat there on a camping chair eating a bacon butty oozing with ketchup and was just so ready to go at that point. We went out for a meal that last evening in England, the 3 of us, walked the mile or so to the pub as we didn't have a car anymore and walked back and slept on air mattresses. I barely slept that night I was so excited. Taxi arrived at 10am the next morning and we were off!

If you are over weight wise, suggest using an excess baggage shipping company for the extra bag if you don't want to leave it or throw it out. We shipped a 25kg holdall of clothes etc that we knew we wanted to keep and would use while waiting for our container to arrive and it cost about £120 door to door. Was picked up from our house the day before we flew out and arrived the day after we did in Adelaide. Cleared customs and was delivered to our door in Glenelg. We flew with our other bags fine, right on the limit weight wise for the checked bags. I had an extra 10kg allowance with Singapore airlines as I got the migrant allowance. Unvalidated PR visa helped that one :)

We used both move cube and container.

so when we had the lorry come the packers arrived. Honestly, they did a good job, but - in some boxes they really could have packed more in - they then work out the space at the depot. We said to them that the quote differed from the actual and then they gave us a refund. Coming back to uk - we sold only a couple of items and used the move cube where you pack it yourself - excellent service!!

We made sure we used every bit of space!!! Lol and it worked brilliant. contained 7ft treadmill and American fridge too... Can't complain !!

Wow....exciting times ahead. Try to keep focused on that, I know it's easier said than done mind. I must admit when our container left it felt like a huge weight was lifted! It was dealt with! Sorted!! Also I thought oh **** we are actually doing this!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!

Good luck on Monday :)

Funnily enough that same thought went through my head tonight...OMG this is actually real after all this time. I know i will feel better once it's all gone - finally at the point where if it can't fit in, tough luck, we'll buy new. :smile: