Motorcycle Licence Entitlement ?

Guest MitchKeza

Guest MitchKeza

Hello PIA Gang,

Got another question for all you people again. If you want to ride a 50cc "twist and go" scooter do you need to pass a CTB in Oz ? Also could any bikies out there confirm how motorcycle licence entitlement laws work in Oz. For example, what age does a minor need to be to ride a moped/scooter legally in Oz ? Does the 125cc law exhist in Oz ? I have tried researching these questions but cant get a proper answer. Can PIA help ? Regards.... Mitchkeza.:notworthy:

Guest marty

you can ride a 50cc scooter on a car licence, anything bigger needs another licence, the legal age for driving is 16 but you cant take a test to get of your L plates for six months

Guest marty
I was told the other day a learner can ride a 200cc on "L's" ?????

Once passed the CTB equivalent

you can drive anything on your L's but you need a special licence to ride a bike over 50cc

Guest guest569
you can drive anything on your L's but you need a special licence to ride a bike over 50cc

What sort of "special licence " ??? Your not being very clear and the poster with the original question might not understand your answer. This doesn't affect me as i have a full licence.

Guest marty
What sort of "special liscence " ??? Your not being very clear and the poster with the original question might not understand your answer. This doesn't affect me as i have a full liscence.

Forget the L Plates, you can drive a car and a 50cc scooter on a normal car licence it does not matter if the car is auto or manual, 90% of all cars are auto, you can also drive a small truck on this licence, if you wish to drive a moterbike over 50cc you need to apply for a motorbike licence, you will get a L plates to ride a bike over 50cc even if you have a full licence to drive a car.

Then you need to take a test on the bike at the motorbike test center there are a few in the metro area once you have passed that you can ride any bike.

If you are a new driver i.e 16 years old you take a written test to get your L plates and then you can get what they call a P licence (provisional) after 6 months after you either passa driving test or complete a log bog with a driving instrutor. You have to display P plates until you are 19 or two years if you are an adult, look on the SA central web site that will have all the details

Guest MitchKeza

Well PIA Power strikes again ! Thanks for all your replies. I am a wiser man thanks to this forum once again ! Regards.... Mitchkeza.