Help with baggage!!!!

Guest Devon

Guest Devon

Im hoping someone will be able to help!:arghh:

I've been looking for a thread regarding extra baggage allowance and can't find it! I've been ploughing through Grandjac and Ian b's posts as thought it was one of them and can't find it that way either! I contacted Singapore airlines to get my baggage allowance increased and keep getting the answer - for certain types of visa the baggage allowance is doubled to 40KG per person - I am trying to pin down if I'm entitled to it when I finally get my new visa. :unsure:

Due to certain issues I keep having to delay my flight back to Oz so I've had to indulge in some retail therapy. Hope OH has missed me too as hopefully he won't notice the extra case or two - it is 40KG exactly if I manage to stop now :biglaugh:

Guest Sharon and Paul

HI like you said it depends on what visa you go out on ? I was told that if like me you have to validate your visa (house still not sold) ours by 4th May ? you are only entitaled to 40kg once . so looks like my mrs will have to get rid of 5 suit cases of shoes . ECSTATIC.gif

Guest Devon

Thanks for that Paul - not sure as it is a spouse visa. I will only be going out the once and it will be a new visa as old one expired, hence my temporary visit back to the UK.

Surely you won't make her get rid of all the shoes but maybe sacrifice something yourself? :biglaugh:

Guest dempseys

hi there,

i posted something about baggage other week!! since then i emailed singapore airlines myself and have been told that unless you have a visa that allows you to stay indefinately in oz then you only get 20kgs think this applies to all airlines!! which is not good for me as i have been taking advantage of oh not being here aswell and im travelling on a temp visa. decided im going with malaysian airlines think they're more lenient as mark carried 50kgs on his own without being charged anything!!

hope this helps and happy shopping!!

macky

Guest Devon

Thanks macky - it is a big help as big brother will now be watching you, well me anyway- just going to go through your posts to read your thread!

Have a safe flight - I did travel with Malaysian before and wasn't charged anything for about 27KG however my return flight was unfortunately booked through Singapore who I think are a bit more strict :arghh:

Thank you again

Cathy

Guest swampo

Hi, Not sure if this is nay help, but would also be interested in responses to extra luggage allowance.

We had to do a valaidation visit earlier this year (flew with Quantas) have booked our one way flight for October with Singapore Airlines and have been given 40kg per person luggage allowance. Hope that this is the case as my OH has tools to take over with us for his job so really do need the additional allowance.

If anyone knows different please let us know. We are on PR visas.

Thanks

Guest Devon

Thank you for that 'swampo'.

Im not having much luck at present as not sure what the wording is going to be on my new visa yet! So not sure if I qualify for the extra or not - here's hoping!

Glad you got your visa at last and hope you enjoyed your trip to Adelaide

Good luck with the flight and hopefully some more answers will come when they get up in Oz! Seems funny saying that when I'm usually that side if you know what I mean!

Guest dempseys

hi cathy,

are you booking through an agent? if you are get them to do the emailing to the airlines, i did it myself just so i could see the answer for myself. how did you find malaysian airlines, everyone seems to go with singapore airlines?

cheers macky

Guest Devon

Hi Macky

When I flew the first time it was with Singapore airlines, the second it was with Malaysian. I was a bit worried about flying Malaysian as like you say most people seem to go with Singapore. However I felt the standard was the same and in fact the steward/esses were more helpful on Malaysian! I tried to book this round trip Adelaide to Uk then back again with Malaysian however because my passport had less than 6 months I couldn't land in KL it had to be Singapore! Wish I had got the flight with Malaysian as they are not quite as strict on excess!

Cathy

Guest caoimhe

I've been looking for a thread regarding extra baggage allowance and can't find it! I've been ploughing through Grandjac and Ian b's posts as thought it was one of them and can't find it that way either! I contacted Singapore airlines to get my baggage allowance increased and keep getting the answer - for certain types of visa the baggage allowance is doubled to 40KG per person - I am trying to pin down if I'm entitled to it when I finally get my new visa. :unsure:

Due to certain issues I keep having to delay my flight back to Oz so I've had to indulge in some retail therapy. Hope OH has missed me too as hopefully he won't notice the extra case or two - it is 40KG exactly if I manage to stop now :biglaugh:

From the threads I have read on PIA, Singapore Airlines will give 40kg per person to those on a permanent residency visa only, not to those like ourselves on a temporary visa. Not sure on any other airline

Guest Sharon and Paul
Thanks for that Paul - not sure as it is a spouse visa. I will only be going out the once and it will be a new visa as old one expired, hence my temporary visit back to the UK.

Surely you won't make her get rid of all the shoes but maybe sacrifice something yourself? :biglaugh:

yes she made me get rid of my skateboard 1970;s on e- bay she said i was a fat git and to old ( she still loves me :biglaugh:)

I rang SIA the other day and I can confirm that unless your visa says "permanent", they won't give the increased baggage allowance. Cazzie is coming over with me at the end of next month on a Spouse Visa SP47 (I am already a dual citizen) and even though a permanent visa is a formality for Cazzie in 2 years (as we WILL still be together!), the initial visa is temporary, therefore SIA will only allow 20kg. So she is on an Ebay wardrobe emptying frenzy at the moment! Presumably, in 2 years, we can holiday in the UK and take back an extra 20kg worth of goods on the new permanent visa. Will it be 20kg of Next clothes or chocolate, Shreddies and Honey Nut Shredded Wheat? Oh, the dilemma!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

So Dev when are you back??? In time for the 8th august???:biglaugh:.

By the way we sent extra suitcases with excess baggage at the airport, Maylaysian took one extra for us though so that was a bonus, we were flying on a PR visa though.

Ill ask OH the others he found for sending lauggage when we looked, I think though excess baggage were the cheapest at the time

sarahx

I'm glad you couldn't find my treat now, I wouldn't want to be part of the cause of your suitcases being too heavy.

See you soon and looking forward to it.

Ps 8th August that Sarah is asking about is another night at the Cove, hope you are there in time as you wouldn't want to miss out on all that amazing talent!!! NOT!!!

Guest Devon

Thanks to all for all your replies - looks like I'm out of luck with Singapore!

Hi Sarah the latest flight is booked for 6th August arriving on the 8th - so will need to recover!!!!!! If your excess baggage can beat price I've got from Transglobal would be grateful if you could send it! Just hoping my OH doesn't get bored and read this (unlikely) otherwise I'm in the doghouse!!!!!!!!

Hi Cornelia. So sorry about your treat - just can't find it anywhere! As I say it must only be available north of here or even as far as north of Bristol! If you want to get it sent to me let me know and I'll bring it back - yours should weigh next to nothing! Now as for Sarah's she doesn't know it but I'm blaming her treats for the weight - all that Cadburys :biglaugh: by the way Sarah am eating a delicious bar of Cadburys as I type - only joking - as you know I must be one of the only poms who prefers the Aussie Cadburys :err:

Hope to eventually be back in the real world - keep your fingers crossed - although at least I'm getting to the beach everyday at the moment!

Cathy x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Super Senior

I think it all depends on the type of Visa issued. We have PR visa`s ,travelled with Quanta`s from South Aftrica and where allowed 40kg`s each , which was just aswell as my Daughter`s stuff was over weight anyway ( cost a bomb) :) The airline of your choice should be able to tell you the amount . Parting with the shoes will be traumatic :GEEK: good luck with that .

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tracey Smith

We travelled with Singapore on PR visa last September and were told we could only have 30 kgs as we had already validated our visas.

My daughter has booked with Malaysian to travel this September and when she rang to find out if she could have extra as she was emigrating they told her she could only have 20 kgs. I am sure she is over so I am hoping they will be lenient when she checks in.

Tracey

We are returning to Aus at the end of September, and have extra items we require in Australia.

I have found a company called VOOVIT on the internet, who are shipping agents, and so far seem very efficient. Everything is done on the net, Initial quotation, order boxes,List contents, arrange pickup etc.

We were originally quoted £60 for 2 boxes to Aus, max 30kg each, and ordered 3 boxes, which were delivered post free. We then discovered we needed more boxes, and had to pay a £20 delivery fee, so the moral is, make sure you order enough.

We have now packed 4 boxes and been requoted £80 for the 4, collected in Uk and delivered to the Port in Adelaide.

I understand that there will be a one off A$200 customs fee in Adelaide, which is payable for up to 10 boxes.

Our boxes are due for collection tomorrow, and so far so good!!.

Hope this helps.

Guest Rachael

Hi

We went with Singapore airlines as Quantas wouldn't give us 40kg and Singapore would. I booked the flights through a local agent. I didn't want the hassle of sorting it out myself and it was still a good price. The agent ensured we had 40kg each and took copies of our visas which she faxed to the ticket office. We have permanent residency and that's why we were allowed it.

My Mum, Dad and brother have just arrived (to live). My mum is Australian but left when she was 12. She has an Aussie passport and was only allowed 20kg. Dad was allowed 40kg cos he has a permanant spose visa. Brother was only allowed 20kg as he has a working holiday visa for 1 year only.

Hope this helps.

R:)

You have to have a permanent visa that states 'indefinitely' on it (this is isngapore airlines) to get your 40kg. However you only get this is it is the first time that you travel on the visa, so if you have already done a validation visit you will only get the standard 20kg.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I've just spoken to Singapore airlines, and if your visa says on it - 'Permitted to stay in Australia indefinitely' - you will get your allowance doubled to 40kgs. Not the case with Quantas, they only allow 20kgs.

Good Luck

Or if you fly via the USA, you get 40kgs anyway.