40kg or 32kg baggage?

Guest the4hopes

Guest the4hopes

I'm a bit confused!!!

Anyway, is the total allowance with Singapore airlines 40kg or 32kg? because on their website it mentions both weights,and is it 2 pieces of luggage each plus hand luggage?

Thanks

Laura x

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Laura,

We were told by SIA that permanent visa holders who haven't validated yet can each have up to 40kg in total.

I looked at their website. The 32kg limit is per suitcase so that occ health and safety guidelines aren't breached. It's to stop people stuffing too much weight into each suitcase and causing handling problems. You can spread your 40kg allowance over 2 cases i.e. 20kg in each case. Hope this makes sense.

The above is correct. All i would say to that is make sure you are under weight. London end not strict but singapore end are. We bought another suitcase in singapore to even up the load.

Hi Laura,

We were told by SIA that permanent visa holders who haven't validated yet can each have up to 40kg in total.

I looked at their website. The 32kg limit is per suitcase so that occ health and safety guidelines aren't breached. It's to stop people stuffing too much weight into each suitcase and causing handling problems. You can spread your 40kg allowance over 2 cases i.e. 20kg in each case. Hope this makes sense.

Be wary of the phrase "Permanent Visa Holders". They apply that rule strictly. My wife Cazzie has a spouse visa, which will become permanent after 2 (or maybe it's now 3) years, but for now is a provisional one. So even though she was emigrating, SIA wouldn't let her take 40Kg, only the official 20. However, she took 26Kg and I took 24Kg, with no excess baggage charge. We did book in on the Internet though, and arrived early at Heathrow. I wonder if we had been amongst the last to book in, instead of the first, whether they would have been so lenient.

Guest Martin and Val

As Bill says be careful with the weight.

We are going on a 475 Visa so I rang Singapore Airlines last night and they confirmed we were only allowed 20kg hold luggage and 7kg cabin baggage. This is because the Visa doesn't say "Entitled to stay in Australia indefinitely"

The lady I spoke to also said if we were over weight we could be charged £30 per kg! but if we were a little over 20kg we would probably get through OK.

Oh well, just have to walk around with only my thongs on when we get there! That should allow Val to take everything she wants to!!:biglaugh:

7_6_6v.gif 7_6_5v.gif

Also another tip, some items are not weighed such as laptops and don't count towards your luggage allowance.

Hi, i was thinking I had to put the laptop in one of the two suitcases, so when you say it doesnt count, do you have to let it go through the main hold or can you take it on the plane as well as your hand bag/luggage?

cheers

Carole

Guest Martin and Val
Hi Martin,

I hope you mean the Aussie definition of 'thongs' and not the UK one. Otherwise you may get arrested for indecent behaviour!

Surly it would be worse if I only had flip flops on!:biglaugh:10_1_25.gif :biglaugh:sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxdm824YYGB

Guest the4hopes
Hi, i was thinking I had to put the laptop in one of the two suitcases, so when you say it doesnt count, do you have to let it go through the main hold or can you take it on the plane as well as your hand bag/luggage?

cheers

Carole

You carry it on with hand luggage, you can also take a handbag and coat.

Laura x

Guest Aussie pat

We rang SIA about our laptop last week (before it was mentioned on PIA) and they confirmed what Laura and Kris have said. The laptop isn't weighed and you can carry it on without it affecting your handluggage quota.

And make sure that the laptop battery is not fully discharged. Going out of Singapore, they made me switch my laptop on, presumably to ensure that it wasn't a bomb. However, with modern technology, I'm sure that my 3 year old laptop case could hold both! And talking of naive knee-jerk regulations (hey, politicians excel at those) - at Heathrow, they took away Cazzie's tweezers, then on the plane, issued us with some much more dangerous metal forks - so we had 2 weapons instead of 1!