What can be put in suitcases?

Guest the4hopes

Guest the4hopes

Another luggage question! Do you put electrical things in the suitcase or hand baggage? Hair dryers etc. We also have a blender, sounds mad that we want to take it, and we don't want to wait till our things arrive, we use it everyday! Its quite expensive so we don't want to buy another one out there.

Also where would I put the power lead for my laptop?

If theres a family of 4 out there, how many suitcases did you take??

Laura x

Another luggage question! Do you put electrical things in the suitcase or hand baggage? Hair dryers etc. We also have a blender, sounds mad that we want to take it, and we don't want to wait till our things arrive, we use it everyday! Its quite expensive so we don't want to buy another one out there.

Also where would I put the power lead for my laptop?

If theres a family of 4 out there, how many suitcases did you take??

Laura x

Put your electrical things in the cases. Power lead for laptop put in laptop bag and carry on as hand luggage. We had 8 cases in all as we had double baggage allowance for family of 4

Hi Laura,

laptops can be carried on as extra hand luggage(not on the weight). If you buy one of those natty little laptop bags there is a pocket on the front for the power cord.

You are allowed about 7kg hand luggage. When you get on in England make sure everyone has a coat and stuff the pockets with things as much as you can. Ladies' handbags are also not included in the weight restriction, so if your hair dryer is small enough, you could put it in there. Also wear heavy items like jumpers/jeans and change into light clothes on the plane.

Are you flying straight through.

I would take your blender on as hand luggage, if it can fit in the suitable sized bag. The hold baggage gets quite a buffetting in the loading/flight/unloading process. Or put the jug part in the hand luggage anyway.

as you have permanent res with the extra baggage allowance, use it all, even if it means you arrive with 8 cases. This extra stuff could tide you over really well til your stuff arrives. Shove things like can openers and other useful gadgets inside shoes and stuff with socks.

Guest the4hopes

Thanks for that, thats more help!

Yes we are stopping at Singapore for a few hours, then straight on to Adelaide.

By the way have I mentioned I've never been on a plane before!!

Laura x

Guest graandjac

:)Laura, you'll be fine .....!!!!in a way long haul is better for your first flight as there is so much to do , lots of food and drink available......loads of movies , music, games .....piece of cake:biglaugh:

Guest SA Great
Hi Laura,

laptops can be carried on as extra hand luggage(not on the weight). If you buy one of those natty little laptop bags there is a pocket on the front for the power cord.

You are allowed about 7kg hand luggage. When you get on in England make sure everyone has a coat and stuff the pockets with things as much as you can. Ladies' handbags are also not included in the weight restriction, so if your hair dryer is small enough, you could put it in there. Also wear heavy items like jumpers/jeans and change into light clothes on the plane.

Are you flying straight through.

I would take your blender on as hand luggage, if it can fit in the suitable sized bag. The hold baggage gets quite a buffetting in the loading/flight/unloading process. Or put the jug part in the hand luggage anyway.

as you have permanent res with the extra baggage allowance, use it all, even if it means you arrive with 8 cases. This extra stuff could tide you over really well til your stuff arrives. Shove things like can openers and other useful gadgets inside shoes and stuff with socks.

LOL!!!! Sounds like you have done this before!!

We seemed to have loads of baggage for the 3 of us. We had 6 large suitcases 20kg each (not over or under - bang on!!) and then the hand luggage - 2 trolley flight bag thingys, handbag, jumpers and jackets and the buggy!!

Beware of the helpers in Britain - they won't prepare you for when you go it alone!

It was ok until we got to this end and at 1am after 24hrs with a 3yr in a small space tried to get to our hotel at the airport in Melbourne. With two trolleys packed high with the cases, child and buggy on top - because of course there was no way he was going in his buggy now and walk - no way!! and anyway how could we push 2 trolleys and a buggy! We set of across the carpark for the hotel but everytime we went down off of a pavement to cross the road a suitcase would fall off and a lorry or something would come round the corner - there was no traffic! - it was either laugh or cry and to be honest it was like something from a carry on film! When we got to the hotel we also managed to get stuck in the revolving door - don't ask why we went that way! - the trolley tipped and all the suitcases etc landed in a heap.

Your journey doesn't end until you are here - enjoy it!! I had never flown before I flew from Gatwick to Toronto and I loved it!

Rachel's tips are really good - wish I'd thought of bring the small things like cutlery and plates to tide us over.

Good luck and enjoy

Julie

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldnt risk blender in hand luggage cos of the strict security about what can go in - with a blade I would say you would be liable to have it confiscated.

Put all precious documents (the things you are going to need before your stuff arrives - tax info, bank documents, house sale stuff, utility bills that you need to follow up) - in a hand luggage bag. If your luggage goes AWOL you'll be glad of it. Each person (inc children) can have 2 carry on bags I THINK - we could anyway. They didnt count or measure our hand luggage.

We were 4 paid tickets and 1 baby ticket. We had 4 large suitcases - all over the 20kg allowance for each of us on our Malaysian ticket - each was between 25- 27. They said nothing. We also had 2 cabin cases, a toy bag for each child (3) and a nappy bag for the baby. And push chair, which we kept to the gate, and received it back in a very civilised manner when we got off the plane at KL, and then at Adelaide.

We also allocated 1 suitcase a toys case - and did put clothes in but also thomas track, a train shed, and bits and bobs like that...!

Buy some suitcase scales. Worth their weight in gold, takes out all the guess work...