Dog to oz

Guest davet19650

Guest davet19650

Hi to you all

Can anyone help, looking at relocating to adelaide hopefully in the not to distant future,

We want to bring our dog with us 4 YEAR OLD SPRINGER SPANIEL only he has a medical condition HIP DISPLASIA can anyone tell me if this is going to be a problem to get him into oz, also can anyone recomend the best company to use to fly him over

thanks for any help

Dave ,family and buster the dog

Hi

I don't know about the medical condition but we are taking our 2year old labrador over next year and have had quotes from several companies.

The price does differ quite alot but you need to check just exactly what they are providing, some companies do pretty much everything for you apart from the boosters, some hardly do anything ie getting relevant paper work.

We really studied these quotes and found airpets look the best and give the best service. Not used them yet though so can't say for definate.

Martin and Val have just gone over off PIA and from memory they were taking 2 dogs with them, hopefully they will see your post and reply.

We bought our little terrier Toby over in February and used Pet Air and we were very happy with the service they provided. They do offer a silver and gold level of service so check it out. We dealt with Luke, his email address is luke@petairuk.com or telephone him on 01725 551124. Having Hip Dysplasia should not affect his application. The main concern is that their Lepto levels are not too high so make sure that when he has his next vaccination that the do not give him that part. Toby had to have 2 blood tests as his levels were high but as long as the 2nd blood test is not higher than the first then they will allow them into Australia.

In the UK I was a Practice Manager for a Veterinary Practice so I have a lot of experience dealing with peoples pets, many of which do get exported out of the Uk when their owners decide to move abroad.

Most of the airlines will fly your pet to Adelaide ( i think it cost us about 79 dollars) so check them out too.

Good Luck.:)

Guest Alipally

When are you hoping to come to Oz?

i'm only asking because the sooner you know when you're coming the sooner you can get the import permit and book your dog into melbourne Quarantine... there's a waiting list and they can't just fit you in.

We've ended up with the dog in Sydney and OH and DS have had to drive from Adelaide to pick her up..... They did Adelaide to melly in a day.... but they've still got at least another day to get to Sydney.... OH reckons on spending about £320 in fuel, to pick her up!

As for the hip displasia, so long as it doesn't cause problems for the Kennels, it's not contagious so it shouldn't be a problem.... if you go to the AQIS site and down load the application for import form all the information you need is on there.

Hope this helps

Ali

We used Golden Arrow (UK to Spotswood) and Airpets (Melb to Adel). Highly recommend both.

Don't think your dogs medical problems will be an issue in terms of quarantine, as long as he's classed as being fit to fly by the vets.

As mentioned, be aware of the lepto vaccination as it turns up in the bloodtests and can cause problems.

With this and the hip vs "fit to fly", I'd have a chat with your vet.

We brought a dog and two cats over. One of the cats was 16 when she came out, and had recently had the second of two thyroidectomy (sp) operations! She had no problems at all :)

When are you hoping to come to Oz?

i'm only asking because the sooner you know when you're coming the sooner you can get the import permit and book your dog into melbourne Quarantine... there's a waiting list and they can't just fit you in.

We've ended up with the dog in Sydney and OH and DS have had to drive from Adelaide to pick her up..... They did Adelaide to melly in a day.... but they've still got at least another day to get to Sydney.... OH reckons on spending about £320 in fuel, to pick her up!

As for the hip displasia, so long as it doesn't cause problems for the Kennels, it's not contagious so it shouldn't be a problem.... if you go to the AQIS site and down load the application for import form all the information you need is on there.

Hope this helps

Ali

Hi, can you tell me how far in advance we should be organising 'stuff'. We have booked our flights for June 2nd 2009 so are planning everything for around that date. Of course the problem is we don't have our visa yet so don't want to send the dog over if by the time June 2009 comes we still dont have it!!

Pretty sure we will have but am very nervous incase we dont.

Do you think airpets will organise things without our visa??

We are planning on sending him 3 weeks before us so we can get him straight away when we arrive.

Guest Alipally

Put it this way.... I organised EVERYTHING myself... and I did it all in 3 weeks!!! BUT if you want a place in Melbourne Quarantine, they need around 6 weeks notice. We used Ryslip group for the flight only and saved a considerable sum, by doing the paperwork ourselves....

The Import permit from AQIS only requires the dog to have a microchip and lasts 9 months... so you should do this first, but if it runs out before you fly.... You'll have to pay again.... it's $300 at the moment. You can lodge online now too and it's cheaper! it's not rocket science to fill out. You need the vet to fill in a form if your dog is receiving treatment that needs to be continued whilst in quarantine. but beyond that it's very straightforward.

ttp://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/application

The import permit also tells you how to sort out the export health certificate, what tests need to be done... this was free to obtain from your local DEFRA office (just phone the office and they'll send you the application), but the vet charges for the tests and filling of the certificate.

If you need any help with or protocol please feel free to PM me and I'll help out where I can

Ali x:)

You are starting in plenty of time - Boosters are as someone else mentioned the most important part - don't get the Lepto jag!!!

Our vet recommended frontline treatment every month 3 months prior to coming over (suppposed to lessen the chance of needing to get a second blood test!) - it worked for us and was one thing less to worry about.

We used a local Scottish exporter (based in Dunfermline) and the service was excellent. We didn't book quarantine as we left it as late as we could -our dog went to Sydney and then we had her flown to Adelaide (cost about $200 - can't remember exactly)

An import permit is valid for 9months so you could leave that for a while yet - but be warned that it can apparently take about 2 months at times to come through!

Good luck

Julie

Guest Alipally

New promise at AQIS is 10 day turnaround for import permits.... with e lodgement it's supposed to be even quicker, but that's what they said about VISA applications! :goofy:

If your vet doesn't ask about it, remember to ask for Heartworm treatment before they leave as it's endemic here. Also make sure they have a frontline spot on treatment before they leave as it needs to be done monthly to prevent ticks.... They're some real horror stories about dogs dying from paralysis ticks on arrival... (Look on BE the post is absolutely shocking and will make you cry:sad:)

The lepto vaccination shouldn't be given within 6 months of blood tests and they have to be done within 28 days of departure.... If they come back positive it just means another test to make sure that they're not increasing, it's not a big deal, but it is costly, time consuming and stressful, because there's always a chance that they'll be rising, and no dog likes having blood taken!

Ali :wubclub: