Importing my car

Guest ReadyPenny

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi All

Could someone please tell me where I can find some information on importing my car? I cannot bear to part with it. It is a bright pink sports convertible and when I arrive in Adelaide at least you will all know who I am!!!

Cheers Guys

Mandy

Guest jen&ian

We were going to bring our classic beetle over, although didn't in the end (boo hoo). You can find all the info you need on line, be warned you need to get the paper work done in plenty of time so if you are going for it don't leave it to the last minute.Think it was going to cost about 1700 pounds to ship the beetle, but was exempt from some of the import duty as over 30 yrs old.

jen

Guest graandjac

:)bringing over a convertable might be an obvious thing to do but ......there are not many here and when the sun is hot your going to be pleased with a little shade, not knocking the sun as iam a sun lover, but there is a deffo lack of convertables here.

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

It's a Nissan Micra 2 + 2 CC Sport with a hard top roof that folds into the boot. It has all pink accessories inside and everyone calls me Lady Penelope or Penny which I dont mind - my husband does take exception to being called Parker though!!! LOL

Mandy

PS May seem obvious to you but why is it dangerous in the summer - I was planning on wearing a hat!

Guest warren1832

Hi Mandy,

You will be easily spotted then!! LOL, my wife and me are planning on taking our car as well if and when we eventually get there!!. One thing to be wary of is if the car has any dirt on it you may get hit hard by customs as it will need to be cleaned, asked this question a while back and told of this potential problem not sure how much it would be though.

Have you got quotes from any shipping companies yet? Try www.Carship.co.uk and www.excess-baggage.com. I got a quote of around £1750 for my Vectra

Cheers

Mike

Guest andy&jill
:)bringing over a convertable might be an obvious thing to do but ......there are not many here and when the sun is hot your going to be pleased with a little shade, not knocking the sun as iam a sun lover, but there is a deffo lack of convertables here.

Hi Graham, I see your point with the shade thing, Now you mention it when over on our reccie we didnt see many convertables :skeptical: or many VWs come to that, do you reckon that parts etc will be pricey

Andy

Guest ReadyPenny

Thanks for replies! It just seems like the perfect car to drive around in, in the nice weather, thought I may be cool with the roof down (temperature wise not posing!). Am I disillusioned? When we came on our reccie it was winter 14-28 Aug and therefore I have no idea what summer is like. Thought me and Amber would love to ride around in our barbie car on the wide roads with the sun out. We hardly ever get to have the top down here and when we do we have to put our coats on!!!

Not got any prices for shipping yet, thanks for the info on that. Can it not go in our container with our household stuff? Need to price the GST, import duty etc etc and is it 56 plate and consider the cleaning etc. I know it will be expensive, probably around half the price I paid for the car, but on our reccie I didn't much care for the "aussie cars". Saw a couple of beetles, minis and that but wont be able to afford one for a while when we arrive. Hate the thought of driving a banger after feeling like the queen for so long!!!!!!!!!!! LOL He He He

Guest ReadyPenny

Hey OrrellJet you are right - I am a bit mad and I don't mind you saying so but dont you DARE insult my precious Barbie car!!!!!!!!! LOL I bet you'll want a ride in it when you see it!!!!!

Guest ReadyPenny

Flaming Nora - guess what I don't even like the sun or the heat!!! Sean and Amber love it, I positively HATE it. I actually like the British winters, but I do get fed up of all the rain in the summer. Not bothered if there is no sun but rain all the time gets me down.

Dont know how I will cope in OZ, this is reason a pool is a must for us, as is air conditioning. Aussies keep trying to put us off a pool because of the aggravation of cleaning and expense. Are they just lazy buggers or are they right?

If I have no pool I will have to employ someone to fan me down all flaming day!!!!! LOL

Mandy

More convertibles get sold in the UK (per head) than in any other country in the world...because it's not too hot.

I would agree with Air Con in the home - when it gets over 38 it's quite useful. Pools are nice to have. We have one now and are looking forward to our first summer's use but I have to agree that they're not cheap to upkeep. Yes, you have to clean them and check the water regularly but I reckon the summer will make the hassle worth it ;-)

Enjoy the trip over Mandy.

Justin.

Guest ReadyPenny

Cheers Justin. Can you "guestimate" how much per week or month running a pool would cost? I know you have not used it properly yet but people's idea of expensive can be different. Other than the electric and chemicals are there any other costs involved?

Mandy

We have a chlorine pool which would seem to work out more costly than a salt water pool - conversion to salt costs anywhere between $500 and $800 (fitted). I'd say we spend on average somewhere between $50-$100 per month on the pool - during the summer I'd expect it to be a more consistent $100. It's not loads but is something that needs to be budgeted for. And that doesn't include leccy costs.

As you quite rightly point out, we're not had a full year with it so it's difficult to judge costs right now.

They do demand a bit of time though - we don't have a Kreep Krawly, or any other sort of automatic pool cleaner, so it's a brush and hose for us right now. Reckon on $600 for a good Barracuda or similar pool cleaner which will do most/all of the hard work for you.

Guest jen&ian

Air cooled VW's are all over the place where I live! i guess it must be the whole beach/ surf lifestyle so I shouldn't think spares would be a problem. We wre going to ship ours with John Masons who come and fetch it on a low loader if you can't get it to them, (they are just outside Liverpool), and give it a thorough clean at their depot before putting it in the container.

Jen

Guest warren1832

LOL does seem a bit mad doesnt it!!!!, just thought it might be easier and cheaper than starting again and buying out there!. Are cars pricey out there?

Mike