Adelaide Traffic Police...

Guest alieninoz

Guest alieninoz

After reading the Driver’s Licence post I thought I would bring up the subject of the Traffic Police...

We have been in Adelaide for about 4 weeks now and are starting to think what on earth are we doing here, but that a whole other post. Since we have been here we have been ticking all the boxes; Bank account, Medicare and the other day an Australian Driving Licence which was easy once you have ID things like Medicare card, UK driving licence, passport etc.

However the point of this post is to say how upset I was to get 3 points and a $300 fine within 24 hours of first applying for my new licence. It seems I didn’t come to a complete stop at a B-road junction, there was nothing coming and after I braked I moved on, seconds later I was pulled over and fined before I had much to say, and he even called me dude when I had to get out of the car.

But the odd thing was he had a pocket digital camera he had filmed me on, convenient! And when I think back I don’t remember the video footage showing any road makings as he must have been on a slope looking up at me passing.

Now I don’t know if this is the norm for the Police to call you dude when they do you and a $300+3 points seems a bit over the top for an offence like that. After talking to some locals I have been advised to go to my local police station to appeal.

I have been told more than once that the Adelaide Police are the worst in Australia or maybe I was just unlucky and the cop who stopped me was having a bad day and needed get his quota in, who knows?

And I know some members will probably be working as Police so don’t go getting all upset as I know not all Police are the same, this is just what happened to me and a warning to others when driving in Adelaide. Has anyone else had this experience?

:policeman::eek:

i got done for speeding last week coming downhill on sourthern expressway where it goes from 80 to 70. Im thinking of appealing. My husband been done in fact i only know 3 people who havent lol, its a wonder anyone drives they are really strict here, shame they cant fecking drive properly, they are all ****e and maybe they should concentrate on mots!!

Guest alieninoz
i got done for speeding last week coming downhill on sourthern expressway where it goes from 80 to 70. Im thinking of appealing. My husband been done in fact i only know 3 people who havent lol, its a wonder anyone drives they are really strict here, shame they cant fecking drive properly, they are all ****e and maybe they should concentrate on mots!!

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the fine!

Guest katsmajic

Sorry but gotta :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

i have observed the road laws to the letter, have been stopped once because a cop car was following me for ages and i was exactly on the speed limit and they wanted to check i wasnt drink driving....cos i was very observant apparently lol..

unfortunately we have had about a dozen dealings with the cops here, regular cops and traffic cops and they have all been totally amazing, very thorough and really nice....some have been pretty dishy too.

english cops in uk are far far worse than the cops here and will happily slam fines on to you...

i will however now be keeping my arm in the car!!! was told that bit body bits out of windows, but thought it was a joke...

Guest katsmajic

The speed limits change quite frequently - basically its 50 unless a sign says otherwise - these signs have a number in on a white background circled in red - like a uk stop sign/speed sign etc - so as long as you are watching the road you will see the signs!

Main roads are usually 60 in built up areas - and will go back and forth to 70/80/100 depending on the area you are driving through I.E. no houses anywhere in sight = 80/100

I find it quite easy really - although i must admit i have always stuck to the speed limit (here and UK) and in 15yrs have never received anypoints/fines etc.

When you see a 80 sign coming up it doesnt mean speed up to 80 by the time you pass it - it means go up to 80 after you pass it!!!

There are some pretty lousey drivers here and i would bet their not all Aussies...but if you pay attention - which you have to do as undertaking/swerving/cutting in with a trailer on the back etc is common here, you will be fine.

Theres a really good ad campain on the tv at the mo - about creepers - to point out that those creeping over the speed limit kill people quite simply!

Guest katsmajic

OUCH

I thought the fines here were pro rata as such regarding how much over the limit you go...fine for 10kph over limit alot less being 50kph over etc...

that is poo...

$310 :goofy:

• 3 years later...
Guest Chelseadownunder

"It seems I didn’t come to a complete stop at a B-road junction, there was nothing coming and after I braked I moved on, seconds later I was pulled over and fined before I had much to say"

Got done exactly the same at 6.40 am in Wright Street in the city. They are sneaky beyond beleif and they dont give you the benefit of the doubt. It was 6.40 am no trafic, clear vision, no pedestrians, dry road..... I just slowed down but not an absolute stop. Just for them to stop me was enough to make me never want to do it again but to get fined $420 just makes me think its all a racket. They are never there at 8am when there is more danger and more podestrians aaaaaahhhhh. They also wait on Perry Barr road in hallett cove as you are going down a very steap hill. with only about 3km to play with you dont need to do too much to get done.

UK Cops 9/10 Aussie Traffic Cops my view now 1/10

Edited by Chelseadownunder

Amazing get caught then blame the cops.

Where ever you go be it the uk or oz, if you get caught by the police it's easier to blame them.

Funny thing is I have got done for spreading 4k over and paid the fine.

Dude is better than something else, unless your a doctor then maybe you could raise the point.

Could have been worse if you failed to stop as you should have done and a car was coming, you could be doing a stretch for death by dangerous driving and be called a convict.

Just my thoughts, maybe better than a due care...

most cops do the right thing here and in the uk, so if being called a dude upsets you, maybe you should take it as a compliment he thought you were hip enough to called dude and not something else.

Enjoy the driving

Well you won't do it again then will you!

We have had a fine for the same thing, a fine for speeding (60k on 50k road past Adelaide Shores (ignorance)) also a fine for parking facing the wrong direction (once again ignorance of this rule). Learn from it and you will be fine, repeat it (like many do) and you are a fool.

PS - dude is cool!

Guest Helchops

This thread is four years old nearly! I'm guessing he's paid his fine!!

If I was called dude I'd be chuffed! It's better than 'sir, get out of your vehicle'...

whats wrong with 'dude'? we make a mistake and all we worry about is being called 'dude'. the cops not being racist, he's not hating and he's not being mean.

I've never been fined as I don't drive, but if I ever drive I'll do my best to respect the rules. if not I'll be totally ok with paying the price of not abiding the rules. :wink:

'Dude'when about to be hammered with a large fine to me is just winding up the recipient a tad!Far more respectful to be addressed as Sir,or Madam! Although the furtive tactics deployed by the Traffic police here are sometimes beyond the pale,there is a big positive to take from it all.There is ,compared to what i witnessed in the UK,very little serious crime.Adelaide is a peaceful place,so the Police justify their presence by targeting the motorist.All in all,i would rather be here driving like a Sunday School Vicar than worrying about becoming a statistic of serious crime elsewhere!

Guest Helchops

Not to mention that there are very few fatal accidents.

There were 2,222 fatal accidents in the UK in 2009 from a total of 222,416 incidents involving harm to a person.

In Adelaide there were 119 fatal accidents and 1,109 'serious injury' cases.

Obviously the population has a massive amount to do with these figures - adelaide is small in comparison to the UK.

Having read those figures again, I'm wondering if the Adelaide fatal accidents figure should be lower...

Not to mention that there are very few fatal accidents.

There were 2,222 fatal accidents in the UK in 2009 from a total of 222,416 incidents involving harm to a person.

In Adelaide there were 119 fatal accidents and 1,109 'serious injury' cases.

Obviously the population has a massive amount to do with these figures - adelaide is small in comparison to the UK.

Having read those figures again, I'm wondering if the Adelaide fatal accidents figure should be lower...

After looking at the figures you provided I think the cops have a right to be tough on offenders in Adelaide. 119 fatal accidents compared to UK fatal accidents divided by population multiplied by a 100 gives you something to think about.

Guest smit

Uk population roughly 62 mil

SA population roughly 1.6 mil

62/1.6 = 38 ish

38 x 119 =4522 !!!!!

Less chance of dying by goin swimming in the sea at dusk!!!!:biggrin:

Guest Iron Chef

^^ I think you've got your sums wrong there, but bear in mind too that Adelaide doesn't have anywhere near the public transport infrastructure that the UK does, so people are generally driving places far more often. And for anyone travelling in the country, the distances are far greater - as an example, going to visit my in-laws in Port Lincoln is about a 650km drive. Obviously there's less traffic, but in terms of distance alone, that's London to Edinburgh :)