Flights?

Guest deanrm

Guest deanrm

Hi again

Am just woundering if anyone has any tips for which way to fly or who to fly with?

Have got a 5 year old and a 3 year old - am dreading the flights.

Does anyone know if or which airlines allow the most baggage?

Thanks

Guest Twirly

Hi

We are flying out with emirates on the 17 July 2007, via Dubia to Melbourne as we have family. We are then flying onto Adelaide a few days later.

FYI -We have a baggage allowance of 40kgs each with emirates.

Your visa confirmation letter should include a reference to the Organisation for Migration - they arrange concessions. Their contact details are :

Email: IOMAustralia@imo.int

Hope this helps

Guest deb and stoo

Hi Deanrm

I'm in the airline industry,only an engineer, but have a great website for checking every flight around the world including the ones to Adelaide.

http://www.oag.com/oag/website/com/en/Home/

We will be flying good old Virgin (who I work for) unfortunately they only fly to Sydney so will Virgin BlueIt to Adelaide which cost $110 each which I thought pretty good.

Best of luck with the bookings.

:)

Guest dglamoore

We flew out with Singapore airlines and got 40kg allowance each. We have a 4 year old and they were fantastic with her.

When we boarded they came and took her name and age along with our names so if she wondered off they knew who she belonged too. We also got asdked which meals she would prefer at the start of the flight and these were bought out before ours so we had time to help her with her food if needed before eating ours which was a great plus :D

She also got given a game to play and their on demand kids section of tv was great with the old favs such as Dora the Explorer and a good selection of films such as Happy Feet, Charlottes Web etc so she was well happy all the way :o

We have used them many times and cannot recommend them enough. The flight was also one of the most competitively priced and flew direct into Adelaide via Singapore.

Lisa:cool:

Guest donna T

We flew with a 5 year old and a 2 year old - my idea of absolute hell but Singapore airlines - with a 2 night stop off was brilliant. We took the later flight out of London which meant they were tired and barely stayed awake for the food and stayed that way for most of the flight. We had a 4 seat section in the middle of the plan so they could stretch out in between us and they got a great rest. The flight from Singapore to Adelaide leaves late at night oo so same thing happened - in fact I don't think they even made the food! We even managed a few hours ourslves which we hadn't expected.

• 3 weeks later...

We're flying with Malaysian Airlines and only get 20kg! We've travelling with a 3 year old and an 18 month old, God help us!!! On the bright side, we think we're going to be able to take the kid's car seats onto the plane as we know they'll sleep much better in car seats than plane seats. We had to book an extra seat for the youngest as he technically didn't qualify for a seat but we figured the expense was well worth it, not to have him on our laps for 24 hours!

Rich and Liz

We're flying with Malaysian Airlines and only get 20kg! We've travelling with a 3 year old and an 18 month old, God help us!!! On the bright side, we think we're going to be able to take the kid's car seats onto the plane as we know they'll sleep much better in car seats than plane seats. We had to book an extra seat for the youngest as he technically didn't qualify for a seat but we figured the expense was well worth it, not to have him on our laps for 24 hours!

Rich and Liz

We are also flying with Malaysian Airlines and my man at the Flight Centre was going to plead with them to increase the luggage allowance. I'll be speaking to him today so I'll let you know how we get on. We did want to fly with Singapore Airlines again because as everyone else has said - they are brilliant, but the flights were full for the time we wanted to fly. However, I was assured that Malaysian are also very good and you get a tad more leg room - 34" instead of 32".

So, if we can only bring 20kgs each - I'm going to be soooooooo fed up of wearing the same clothes.

Karen

Hi Karen,

I spoke to Malaysian Airlines a couple of weeks ago and they told me that whilst they couldn't increase the baggage allowance they would allow us a "concession" of another 5kg each without incurring penalties. I know what you mean about clothes though, I expect our clothes will be able to walk their by themselves after a couple of weeks on the open road!

Liz:rolleyes:

We are using Singapore Airlines too but only managed to get 30kg - still better than nothing.

Lisa - I'm glad they are good with the kiddies as Emma will sit still if shes watching TV!

Karen - when are you flying out?

Lea

We are using Singapore Airlines too but only managed to get 30kg - still better than nothing.

Lisa - I'm glad they are good with the kiddies as Emma will sit still if shes watching TV!

Karen - when are you flying out?

Lea

Hi Lea,

Hopefully - we fly on the 25th July, arriving in Adelaide 31st July. (That's if the house goes through ok!)

Karen

• 2 months later...
Guest chillyanna

Hi all

does anybody know if it is ok to use baby car seats into the plane for 8month old to sleep in or are airline baby cots available that fix to the wall and do they cost?

any info would be a help.

thanks

Guest dglamoore

There are sky cots that fix to the wall and are free - just contact your airline to request them when you fly. :cute:

I think there are also a few of the car seats you can use but I am pretty sure that the airlines will only use specific models for safety reasons but not 100% on this sorry :unsure:

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest Traci5

We flew with Singapore airlines and they were fantastic....we have 4 boys all of whom were entertained fully for the whole flight......we booked into the transit hotel at Singapore for 12 hrs and had a welcome sleep.......that also was excellent and well recommended for anyone with children as it broke the journey and saved us having to occupy our time in the airport...there is also an open air pool there which we got full enjoyment out of. The price was really cheap...cant remember how much but definately remember it being "Is that all!!!"

We had 40kg of luggage allowance each which we used.....240kg between us....we had 18 cases all together.......all we had to do was show our one way tickets and our Visa's and we got the full allowance.

Was quite a hard task though getting all the suitcases in the car with us at this end though so think about that for when you get here also.

Enjoy! Traci

Guest chillyanna

For the people who had a 40KG allowance i would like to ask who did you book your flights with and was it from a travel agency or was it over the internet?

Im just looking for the best place to book with in the future

cheers

paul

Guest dglamoore

We got the 40kg and booked direct on Singapore Airlines website then just called with our details to request the allowance. :jiggy:

We were told by others we would not get it as we were on an SIR495 and also having a 5 day stopover but we still managed to bluff it :cute:

Lisa:v_SPIN: