Where to buy child car seats

Denise

Can anybody tell me where to buy child car seats from when we arrive? We have been looking online at a store called YCN but they seem really expensive, around $350 per seat. Is that right or is YCN the equivalent to Mamas and Papas, ie only sells expensive brands.

Our kids will be 1 and 2 when we arrive and dont want to hire them from the car rental company for too long.

Any help for cheaper places would be great or if thats the price then thats fair enough, at least we will know.

Thanks

Guest TC for short

Bring your current ones with you. The airline will carry them free and not count it in your weight allowance. That way you'll have them with you all the time you need them, at both ends.

TC

You can certainly bring your car seats with you, we did, but please note that they are NOT legal here and you will still have to buy new ones when you get here. You can get them from Big W, K Mart and Target amongst other places and I believe the RAA will fit them for free. If you're interested we have a first size car seat, suitable for your one year old that we'd be happy to let you use.

Guest Trakki

The car seats here have an anchor strap that goes over the back seat and attaches somewhere in the back. If you don't have this strap then the police can and will do you. You can get seats here like Liz said from, Big W, K-Mart, Target, Toys r us. I didn't like the seats at first but have got used to them now. I think from what we have gained that as long as the seat belt is in the right position it is up to you about a booster. There are harnesses you get to make the seat belts fit better for older children. We initially got boosters for our 7 and 6 year olds but discovered that with the booster my 7 year old had no head protection as there is no head rest on his seat so is actually safer without the booster. He has a Thing on his seat belt that stops it cutting into his neck.

HTH

Guest thebaddeleys

I agree, target, K-mart, big W and toys r us too, they sometimes have really good offers on them too, we bought ours from target, I think safe n sound and mothers choice are the best ones out here. Hope that helps. We have a one year old and got her a great car seat for just $169 you just have to shop around and wait for the deals x

Hey,

I have been having these issues too!

We need 3 car seats!! A booster and the 2 'proper' seats. My issues are as follows;

a) How do we get from the airport to where we are staying? We won't all fit in one car with all our luggage.

b) Car seats seem v expensive - where to buy? And how do you get there if you can't get the kids in the car, lol

c) What kind of car will we have to get? Will the seats fit?

We struggled in the UK with what car to buy - can anyone reccommend a make/ model of car for us? Large family cars are NOT big enough for 3 car seats. Here in the UK we have a Peugeot 307 which has 2 extra seats in the boot, making it a 7 seater overall. We need a people carrier/ bus/ coach/ limo?? :goofy:

And to top it off we'll only have about $6000 dollars to spend on one. Don't ask much do we? Haha

Guest thebaddeleys
Hey,

I have been having these issues too!

We need 3 car seats!! A booster and the 2 'proper' seats. My issues are as follows;

a) How do we get from the airport to where we are staying? We won't all fit in one car with all our luggage.

b) Car seats seem v expensive - where to buy? And how do you get there if you can't get the kids in the car, lol

c) What kind of car will we have to get? Will the seats fit?

We struggled in the UK with what car to buy - can anyone reccommend a make/ model of car for us? Large family cars are NOT big enough for 3 car seats. Here in the UK we have a Peugeot 307 which has 2 extra seats in the boot, making it a 7 seater overall. We need a people carrier/ bus/ coach/ limo?? :goofy:

And to top it off we'll only have about $6000 dollars to spend on one. Don't ask much do we? Haha

I think a holden captiva, the seven seater one, would be a good car, its the cheapest 4x4! We have one but we only got the 5 seater one as only have two children. Not sure if you would be able to pick one up for $6000, as second hand cars hold there value very well out here.

Sounds like you might have to rent two cars from the airport with car seats in to get all your luggae in, or you could hire one car and get a taxi too.

Kerry x

Guest lastboyscout
Very interesting to read!

Can anyone tell us the differences between UK and OZ child seats?

Can you tell us if theres a weight for a child or is it size for them not to need one?

(if that make sense).

Do they have to use a booster like in the UK.

Cheers Rob and Mel

The Oz ones are upside down..................... or is it the other way around!!!!!:biglaugh:

Guest stmatt

Hi

We have a Safe-n-sound meridian AHR baby seat to sell some time after the 16th of this month (when we leave for the UK). It goes from birth to 18kg. We bought is when we arrived here in January. Unfortunately my dearest daughter has just started picking at the polystyrene on the headrest so it looks a little bit nibbled. So if anyone wants to buy it for $75 (or make me an offer). I can arrange for it to be picked up at a later date.

Karen

You can certainly bring your car seats with you, we did, but please note that they are NOT legal here and you will still have to buy new ones when you get here. You can get them from Big W, K Mart and Target amongst other places and I believe the RAA will fit them for free. If you're interested we have a first size car seat, suitable for your one year old that we'd be happy to let you use.

Thanks so much for the offer, everyone on here is soooo lovely. If you still have it when we arrive I will get in touch but please dont feel like you have to hang onto it just for us.

Our little lady is HUGE , she was 9KG at 6months so depending on how she grows she should fit.

What is the RAA?

Thanks again