Is it worth shipping a car to Auz

Guest spannaelephant

Guest spannaelephant

With the current downturn in the UK, does anyone have any advice whether it makes economic sense to ship a car to Adelaide instead of loosing money on the sale with the downturn in the UK market and second hand cars in Auz holding there value, therefore making them relatively more expensive. Can this be done on a 457 visa.

Cheers,

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi

No personal experience, but from what I have read on this and other forums it doesn't make financial sense. You need to have owned the vehicle for at least 12 months before you can apply to import, then there are the import costs (shipping), then GST at the value of the vehicle in Australia, not what you paid for it here, plus cleaning, rego, change of plates etc.

Am sure someone else maybe able to give you figures but the general consensus is a resounding NO. Not worth it. I wanted to bring my pink beauty but it is not to be.

Mandy

Guest Chatterbox
With the current downturn in the UK, does anyone have any advice whether it makes economic sense to ship a car to Adelaide instead of loosing money on the sale with the downturn in the UK market and second hand cars in Auz holding there value, therefore making them relatively more expensive. Can this be done on a 457 visa.

Cheers,

We are in a similar situation. Just waiting for our PR Visa to come through anyday now. We have a 2 year old Range Rover which we were thinking of shipping to Oz. But like the other quotes state there seems to be lots of costs involved. Also we only just found out from our shipping company that you cannot sell your vehicle in Oz for 2 years!!! :arghh:

We have therefore decided to sell before we travel and then purchase cars when we arrive.

Hope that helps!

H, Stephen (Brickie), George & Harry

...We have a 2 year old Range Rover which we were thinking of shipping to Oz. But like the other quotes state there seems to be lots of costs involved. ...

For certain types of cars, it may make more sense - classics etc. European luxury vehicles cost an absolute fortune over here (e.g. Range Rover, new Vogue from $150K) so it might be worth your while working out exactly what it would cost to get it shipped over, compared to the value of the car over here, in 2 years time.

J.

• 1 month later...
Hi any idea where to get the ideas of the cost of this?

Thanks

Jason & Niki

Hi. If you look on poms in Oz and search 'export cars' (or something similar) there is a really useful thread. A guy has devised an excel table where you can work out the costs - you put in the value of your car here and in Oz and it does the maths for you. We found this really helpful. Good luck,

Jez

Guest graandjac

:unsure:something else that needs to be looked into are the future running costs and parts prices as any European car parts will have to have been imported......just a thought.

Guest kangomik

:arghh: i know adelaide is said to be a hick town by the rest of Aus, but it has nearly all the dealerships here.

i don't get the running costs part? ( fuel is cheaper, did anyone notice diesel cheaper than unleaded this monday?)

I reckon you may be able to bring a masserati over and make money ( including luxury car tax), on the same scale you could bring a decent audi over and make money.

A 2nd hand UK car suffers miles more depreciation than a car over here. They tend to have bigger engine sizes here. I think the standard Mazda 6 is 2 litre, the norm is 2.5 V6. only the top end is V6 in UK.

Guest graandjac
:arghh: i know adelaide is said to be a hick town by the rest of Aus, but it has nearly all the dealerships here.

i don't get the running costs part? ( fuel is cheaper, did anyone notice diesel cheaper than unleaded this monday?)

I reckon you may be able to bring a masserati over and make money ( including luxury car tax), on the same scale you could bring a decent audi over and make money.

A 2nd hand UK car suffers miles more depreciation than a car over here. They tend to have bigger engine sizes here. I think the standard Mazda 6 is 2 litre, the norm is 2.5 V6. only the top end is V6 in UK.

By running costs i ment parts as i dont think the cars or parts are made over here.....????so as a rule anything imported in dearer. Couldent believe the price of fuel .....pleased though just brought a diesel.