Baby Milk on flights - confused!!

jo_marnes

We are flying Singapore Air on 14th March. My youngest will need milk - cows milk, not formula. Having e-mailed the airline, they have told me that they can't supply milk and I can't take more than 100mls in one container. I thought ok, I'll take a few beakers with 100ml in. But then how do I keep them refridgerated?

Then I thought about having ready made formula - for the flight wouldn't hurt. But then that can't be over 100ml either and they come in 200ml cartons??!

I don't understand what I'm meant to do???

Guest scmercer

Hi I have flown with Singapore airlines and I took some ready made baby formula on the flight. In the UK I was asked to taste each bottle before they would allow it to go through. Each bottle contained over 200mls. Also you have the option to buy the ready made formula in Boots once you have gone through passport control and there is no limit to what they will allow you to take on board. The airline are really good and will put the bottles in the fridge and warm it up if you wish. I flew a year ago and I dont think anything has changed.

Hi Jo

Is it that you are only allowed 100ml of liquid in a bottle or just in general? I thought the cartons were ok for some reason? I was thinking of taking a few of those SMA small cartons but will have to check this out. One way round it is to use the cartons to fill your bottles with then they wont need refridgerating and you can take as many of them as you like. I'm going to have a look on Cathays website now and see what they say.

Guest philnjulie

hi,we used singapore airlines and have just had a return visit with emirates and all we have done is taken empty bottles and they have filled them and warmed them without any problems phil

Guest Lisa & Kevin

Hi Jo

We flew to Florida when our youngest was only 5 months old. We took 4 empty avent bottles on the plane and some sachets of measured SMA formula. The crew were more than happy to boil up some water for us. This worked really well for us at the time.

Hope this helps

Hi Jo

We flew to Florida when our youngest was only 5 months old. We took 4 empty avent bottles on the plane and some sachets of measured SMA formula. The crew were more than happy to boil up some water for us. This worked really well for us at the time.

Hope this helps

Ahh, didnt even think of doing that!

Well the airline has said that you cant take more than 1 litre of liquid - and no more than 100mls in any one container. So you can take more than one container, as long as the total is less than one litre.

I can give him formula - is there a Boots at Heathrow? And is it open late? Our flight isn't until 10pm so we couldn't buy much before 8pm.

And if you have to open the carton to taste the formula then its pointless as I'll have no way of storing the formula if its open!

Hi Jo, you only have to taste bottled milk, if you have a sealed carton thats fine, its just like taking a carton of ribena or something else on the flight. I think Ill be going with cartons, I don't know about boots being open though ?? Glad you asked this question, giving me something else to plan! I'm running out of things to do now.

Guest Marshall

Lol, seems like your in a bit of a muddle here!! Well i have a simple answer.

You cannot keep it refrigiated as there are no facilities on board the aircraft for passenger use, unless you are flying business class

You cannot take your milk pass passport control.

I imamgine you are flying from heathrow? If so you will be departing from Terminal 3 for Singapore Airlines. Past secuirity, check in etc there are many many shops such as WHSmith etc. They have a pharmacy and a boots which may have what your looking for. Its to your right in the main area. (Near dixons or currys).

When you are at this shop part you can fly with what ever you by! Even if its over 100ml because you bought it from the shop. However at Singapore airport if your flight departs from gates B1,B2,B3,B4 or A1, A2, A3, A4 You cannot take ANY liquids on the plane. I just got back for a visit from the UK and i was shocked when they said i couldn't take it on the plane!!

As you can see i do know a fair bit about all of this stuff for a 12 year old lol...

Hope this helps!!

Marshall :cute:

Hi

We have travelled twice with Singapore Airlines and both times had no problem getting cows milk on board. I just took a sippy cup along to the galley and asked if I could have some milk and they got some milk out and filled up the cup. They even washed it out afterwards as well.

hth

Karen

Guest nikkip2009

hi ya we flew to oz last june when liitle one was 5 months. You can take the cartons as long as you tell the people at the xray machines that u got baby milk and its sealed. They will only let you take a few though i took 8 and that was ok the rest i put in the hold. There sometimes ok if u have it in a bottle but do make u taste it the 100ml rule does not apply to baby milk just to reassure u. and as the others have said there are shops in the departure area if you get stuck

Hi

We have travelled twice with Singapore Airlines and both times had no problem getting cows milk on board. I just took a sippy cup along to the galley and asked if I could have some milk and they got some milk out and filled up the cup. They even washed it out afterwards as well.

hth

Yeah, I was just thinking that surely they must have milk on board for all the cups of tea, glad my youngest won't need formula by then, Ill do the same just take a cup and ask the staff. If they won't give then they will have to put up with her screaming!!!

:arghh::arghh:

I'm happy to say this is the one area where Singapore seems to excel. They seemed to have plenty of milk so no worries about running out. We actually had friends who flew back with a different airline and they struggled to get milk and snacks for her children (3 under 5). SiA had a selection of food available at all times.

Karen