Qantas - are they lenient with excess weight?

Guest Emu

Guest sandar1

They are not normally very lenient I have found. Make sure you spread the weight around in the cases, so that you don't have too much weight in any one bag, there's a problem the OZ side with the lifting of bags over a certain weight, check with them on that. Good luck. Have travelled with Qantas over the past 20 years about an average of every 18 months, and the latter has been the biggest problem. We found it mostly an issue if we had a lay over for a day or so in Sydney and then had continued on with Qantas to Adelaide.

Sandra

Guest katsmajic

Qantas are pretty good really but if theyve already given you the 40k theyl prob think your taking the pee if you go over weight....

this is from some one who was overweight and had to use excess baggage at heathrow!

Guest Martin and Val
My Mum was overweight going back to the UK......

Did she eat to many cakes during her stay then?;)

Sorry Michelle, I couldn't resist it! No offense meant.

Martin

Did she eat to many cakes during her stay then?;)

Sorry Michelle, I couldn't resist it! No offense meant.

Martin

why don't thin people get a bigger baggage allowance than fat people ? one allowance per passenger, person and bag included, although I would not have much left over for baggage.

Simon

• 1 month later...
Guest fiona C

still on a quantas aggage theme here, and sorry for sounding dim. when chris booked our flights he told them i was migrating ( he is aussie, so just going home). but on my ticket it just says 23kg's. any ideas on how to change this, and how much it would cost to get it to 40 kg's?

Guest sandar1

Okay, call the airline and ask them how much it will cost to send the extra stuff, they may not even allow you to do that. There are shipping companies that will take part shipments, ie they will put your stuff in ith someone else's (hey guys anyone else out there moving around the same time that want to share a shipment)? Basically they could care less whether you are going to live in Belize or Heaven they just want there money, sometimes you get lucky and the person checking your bags thinks your cute and you get a bit further, but they have tightened up everywhere now. No more bribing (rotten habit anyway, but used to be used a great deal). Clear your mind, you've enough to worry about moving so just ask, they you know.

All the best.

Sandra D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kangomik

i think the price for 40kg is a pr visa, it should even out tot he price od excess baggage though.

Your allowed so much in hand luggage.

i would question leinient to turning a blind eye.

Guest Fly Away

We flew Cathay Pacific and only had 20kg each allowance. We left a lot of things behind to get down to that weight and even filled all our pockets with heavy things to reduce the weight, wore our heaviest clothes and shoes etc... then the lady on the check in said the unofficial limit is 25kg.... it's only above that weight, that they charge excess baggage... :confused:

Hi all

about to fly Qantas we have the 40Kg each of allowance but I think we have extra weight any way? Are they lenient? or do you have to pay for the excess wait?

thanks all

Hi Emu

How did you manage to get 40Kg? I notice that you are on a 475 visa and have been advised that the 40Kg allowance was only available if you had a PR visa.

Did you get the extra baggage allowance in writing? I only ask because we are going on the same visa and would like to get the 40Kg allowance too.

Howard.

Guest batleys

just cheak the web page i was reading it today and i think you can take 2 carry on bags per person and each can be up to 7kg , might be worth a check

Guest louiswaring@hotmail.co.uk

Hi

I was going to book with Quantas, found the flight i was looking for, rang up there reservation line, with the hope that emigration would secure us more baggage allowance, the Flight went from £530(online with 23kgs) to £900(phone with 40kgs). They were polite and everything, but not overly helpful.

We are flying with Singapore on the 29 April, they allow 40kg as long as you have a unstamped, indefinite visa.

Guest Chelseadownunder

Quantas let us fly out from heathrow with too much baggage and when we flew back from our reccie with the same bagage weight we got stung $400. When we immigrated we flew with Singapore airways they were brill and allowed 40kg each which was more than enough. I do remember with Quantas we didnt use them for our immigration flight as we had the wrong type of visa to qualify for the extra weights, I only found this out by double checking with them after they told me I would be okay, so I would urge everyone to double check. Singapores critia was much more open, basically if your immigrating and validating your visa I think they automatically give you the 40Kg.

Steve

Hi Emu

How did you manage to get 40Kg? I notice that you are on a 475 visa and have been advised that the 40Kg allowance was only available if you had a PR visa.

Did you get the extra baggage allowance in writing? I only ask because we are going on the same visa and would like to get the 40Kg allowance too.

Howard.

Hello Howard,

We got the 40kg because we opened an account with Westpac. If you ask Westpac they give you a code and a special phone number for Quantas. There was no need to get it in writing, as our ticket said we were allowed 40Kg. There were no problems at the airport in Heathrow or Singapore (we stopped over for 2 nights). The staff seemed to know about it.

If you look in the forums other people got the 40Kg different ways.

I have to say that we had to move accounts from Westpac to Commonwealth, as Westpac doesn't give you a Mastercard/Visa, only a Handycard, which you can't use for online/phone purchases, which is a pain. As we tend to do a lot online. Plus my husband still doesn't have a bank card, 1month and half after we arrived! We rang them numerous times but don't know what happened. So we moved banks. We spoke to Morag, very nice lady at Commonwealth, she is also in this forum.

Good luck

Guest spannaelephant

We flew Quantas, and as we are on a 457 visa, were only allowed 20kgs each.........and this included the kids car seats we bought over! (had we known the laws then on UK car seats, we wouldn't have bothered and would have had the extra weight allowance for clothes! but that's another story)

Just make sure that no single bag weighs in excess of 32kgs due to baggage handling limits! If it does, you will have to unload and redistibute the weight! (we nearly had to do this in Sydney, we were there trying to explain that it was not possible for our bag to have gained an extra 5kgs on the flight from the UK, then we realised our son was sat on the scales.............we very nearly had to re-pack!) :wacko:

Just to let you know we opened an account on line with HiFX to transfer funds, they called me back and were incredibly helpfull, I enquired about the discounted migrant flights they were promoting on their website and they e-mailed me a code and a specific telephone number to call quantas.

We got a discounted migrant flight with 40kg weight allowance on a 457 visa, they assured me that this was OK and we have had the e-tickets through with 40kg allowance printed on the ticket. I haven't actually transferred any money yet but just opened an account with them.

We payed £502 each for the flights which should have been about £900 according to the paperwork we got via e-mail.

Hope this is usefull to someone cos it's quite stresfull all this moving to the otherside of the world malarky!!:D

Sarah