Driving Licence

Guest ricknbeck

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Just done it and it's very easy as long as you have enough ID. We did on the 3rd attempt.

You need your passport, something official confirming your address (we got a bank statement) and something official with your signature (not passport or UK licence) so we also had to wait for our bank cards to arrive.

Also be prepared to wait a long time in the queue. We were there over an hour.

It cost $41 for a year and they gave our UK licences back.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Just as the others said.

Motorbike licences are also exchanged.

How ever if you hold a PCV/PSV you will need to re-take your test, get police checked, Have a full medical and get accreitation.

Same as all class or trucks, you will need to re-take your test and medical.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 2much2type

Hiya cornish busdriver.

I was just wondering if they still have those 'super-trailer' road trains (cab with 3 trailers) that go trans-Oz ?

I think I heard somewhere they were banned, not sure if it was Oz ?

Any idea of the type of licence required for one of those ?

I hold HGV Class 1

Cheers, Dec.

Guest Jo&Phil

I had a full UK licence and ............ thankfully ...... didn't need a theory test to get a full SA licence.

Phew! I'm not kidding .... can you imagine how embarrasing it would be to fail.

This may have changed ............ I suggest you call the licence people for the 'from the horses' mouth' answer

[quote=ricknbeck;72671

]Please could anyone advise us as to whether we need to take a theory test to obtain the SA driving licence.. thanks:wacko:

Guest Chelseadownunder

No test now !!! In December 2008 We just went to the office opposite the train station in the city. Bought along our UK Licence and ID and they took our pictures and just gave us a licence. They ask you how long you want it for. We originally said ten years then when told the cost said we`ll have two years please.

Scott UK

Financial Planner