How many kms??!! Faulty petrol gauge.

Guest the4hopes

Guest the4hopes

I have just bought a car, when the petrol gets below half the gauge reads empty,sometimes just to fool me it goes back up a bit, and then it goes back down! So does anyone have any idea how many kms I should get from $30 petrol, just normal driving around. I think about 300? I get to this and then refill, anyone any ideas (until I get it fixed)Its a 1.8 Subaru.

Also, at traffic lights, do you put the gear into park or neutral??! Thanks.

Laura x

Guest Guest75
I have just bought a car, when the petrol gets below half the gauge reads empty,sometimes just to fool me it goes back up a bit, and then it goes back down! So does anyone have any idea how many kms I should get from $30 petrol, just normal driving around. I think about 300? I get to this and then refill, anyone any ideas (until I get it fixed)Its a 1.8 Subaru.

Also, at traffic lights, do you put the gear into park or neutral??! Thanks.

Laura x

I'd take the car back about that prob,there must be some warranty unless it is a really old car.Standard is 3 months.

Rough guess is that you would get between 9 to 12 kms per litre?

I always leave the auto in gear at lights,putting in neutral,forgetting to put back in gear will be embarrassing and rev the nads off the car!

Really you are supposed to put your car into neutral or even park at lights reason being because if you get shunted from behind you car will not moved forward, knocking those pedestrians left right and centre. If you have your car in drive and your foot on the brake, again if someone shunts you then your car will move forward with even more acceleration, because your foot is likeky to come off the brake in such a situation. Thids was the cause a few years ago of an accident on a crossing on North Tce in front of the station.

I however usually just have my foot on the brake and the car ready to roll. :biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kangomik

in time it can cactus the clutch leaving it in drive, the brakes make it slip, this takes its toll. Neutral would be good with foot on brake.

But as pointed out you usually forget and the thing lurches forward when you slam it into drive.

Really you are supposed to put your car into neutral or even park at lights reason being because if you get shunted from behind you car will not moved forward, knocking those pedestrians left right and centre. If you have your car in drive and your foot on the brake, again if someone shunts you then your car will move forward with even more acceleration, because your foot is likeky to come off the brake in such a situation. Thids was the cause a few years ago of an accident on a crossing on North Tce in front of the station.

I however usually just have my foot on the brake and the car ready to roll.

Do what?

Really you are supposed to put your car into neutral or even park at lights reason being because if you get shunted from behind you car will not moved forward

Err, neutral is simply disengaging the engine from the gearbox and in no way whatsoever will it prevent the car moving forward if hit from behind. Park might, although with sufficient force applied the car will still move.

Maybe using the handbrake is an option here. I dunno....just guessing.......Doh.gif

Guest graandjac

:idea:How about getting a spare contaner and filling it , then filling the car to full and drive it right to the limit of running out if not empty after clearing the millage thingydoogymyflip, even if you do run out you will have the spare can to re fill.......people pay for good advice like that........lol;)

But you will know how many miles to a tank you get.........sorry Km.....lol