Air Asia flying from Stansted Airport

Anne B

I live near Stansted Airport and Air Asia have recently started flying from Stansted to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. I noticed one of their planes today so looked them up on the web. Air Asia are based in Malaysia and from there they fly to Melbourne, Perth and the Gold Coast (plus many destinations in Asia). They are a low cost budget airline, so you have to pay extra for meals etc, plus it seems that you don't have a baggage allowance but pay for how much you carry.

I have absolutely no idea how good they are, but Stansted Airport is a lot nicer than Heathrow. I priced up a one-way ticket to Melbourne in August 2009 (without the extras) for 4 people and it was £1403, whereas on Singapore Airlines it was £2302 (2 adults 2 kids). They fly airbus A340s out of Stansted.

Just a thought, another airline to investigate, could be a lot cheaper than the conventional airlines. see www.airasia.com

I wish I knew about that last month when I flew back to UK. Stansted is onlya short drive from my old home town whereas Heathrow is a pain in the bum!

I think they only started flying from Stansted a couple of weeks ago (march 11th in fact). Lots of these long-haul airlines don't last long at Stansted so it will be interesting to see how they do.

I agree that Heathrow is a pain, we are only 10 minutes drive north from Stansted and it's so frustrating having to drive all the way round the M25 to get to Heathow. I know Harlow fairly well, my son's team play in a Harlow League for football so we are always having to drive down there on a Sunday morning !!