Personalised plates?

jo_marnes

Hi all,

I've been looking into getting personalised plates for my husband's birthday - only an idea, but am a bit confused as to how to get them and how much they cost?

I've been looking on the SA Transport website and associated Ezyplate or whatever the name is and am confused as to how they price things? I was under the impression that you need to pay an annual fee to renew, but this only seems the case when it is a 'custom' plate not a personalised plate. I thought these were the same thing!

And then I'm more confused as you can't seem to order black text on a white background? I am easily confused so can anyone shed any light? Thanks!

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Jo,

All the details are on www.ezyreg.sa.gov.au but basically if you go for a "Personalised Plate you pay a one off fee of $180 and this allows you to transfer the plate to your next vehicle also. But the vehicle must be registered in the same name as the plate. IE if you register the plate in your husbands name and the car in both your names you will not be able to use it. Hope that makes sense?

A "Personalised Plate" is a mix of 6 numbers and letters and must end with a number and start with a letter for example JO 0001 the numbers and letters are split by the SA logo.

"Custom Plates" can say what ever you want within reason but carry a renewal fee every year so if you don't pay the renewal you lose the plate.

Go on line at the above address and you can select the plate you would like and it will tell you if it's available.

I bought Val's plates last year for her birthday they took 10 days to arrive, I collected them and then had 14 days to fit them to the car and return the old plates.

If you don't have a car to fit them to you can still buy the plate of your choice and they will be kept for you until you have a car to fit them to.

Good luck

Martin

PS: Registration place in Port Adelaide is your nearest place to obtain them.

Guest Martin and Val
My husband registered the car and I don't know what name(s) he did it in. I presume both or I would not be able to drive it? Is that correct?

Check your rego document it will contain the details that the car is registered under. If in doubt take the rego with you in person when you order the plate so they know exactly what car it's for.

Nice plate, we will watch out for it! Remember there will be a gap between the last letter and the number so it will read MARNE 5.

It's not really the same but an alternative could be MARNZ 1. Just a thought if the chosen one isn't available.