Cars on credit

Denise

How easy is it to get a car on credit on arrival? Does anyone know of any place which does this? ( I know of The Adelaide Vehicle Centre)

Also, can anyone tell me if these places totally rip you off with interest or if its pretty reasonable.

We have money aside for a car but I'm now thinking we should hang on to the cash as back up because of the work situation and get a car on credit. All opinions welcome...

Thanks

We came to Adelaide from Manchester in July 06 on a regional temporary visa & bought a car outright.On a temporary visa you can obtain a mortgage & credit card etc but you can not buy anything on finance whether it be a car or a mobile phone.If you have a permanant visa their isn't a problem getting finance etc. I am Workshop Foreman for Jarvis Ford in Adelaide having worked for a Ford dealer in Manchester for 26 years so if you need any advise on buying a car let me know .

Guest thebaddeleys

Hi we arrived in Oct 08 and after being here 4 weeks we bought a car on finance, it was through a car dealership (holden), the interest is ok, they would only do the finance over 3 years and 11 months because we are on a 4 year temp visa. It was no problem at all! We put a small deposit down of $5000, not sure if this helped.

You will be fine if you have a job or can prove you have the money to pay the car payments.

Takecare,

Kerry

Guest Guest75

For credit you'll need to have income and proof of at least 3 months of it I think.

Careful what you take out though.

Some dealers will put you on a very high rate due to you being new/ and /or desperate to get credit and a car.

You can always have a go with this company.

http://www.checkfinancecheck.com.au/

The owner is a friend and very fair - mention me.(Russell)I don't get any kickbacks or anything.Just like him to know I send business his way.

As I said the owner is very fair and hates to see people ripped off.:notworthy::notworthy:

Guest Guest75
Thanks everyone and thanks Tyke, still think we will buy out right but nice to know our options if jobs are looking hard to come by.

Thanks again

No worries - don't forget - haggle!!!!!!:cute::D

Guest sandar1

Generally vehicles from dealers tend to be more expensive than buying privately, obviously they have to make a profit. There are different sites around Adelaide where people place their cars for sale on the weekends with signs in the windows, not a bad place to buy or to sell have done it many times. Couple of places we have found and sold vehicles are on Seacombe Road, Seacombe Heights and on the Port Elliot Road, Goolwa. If you find a vehicle and need to get a pre-purchase inspection, the RAA offer these also the garage that I go to does the same (both at a cost but usually worth it for piece of mind) their address is: Cardwell Street Autos, Cardwell Street, Adelaide. Call 8223 1640 and ask for Kevin, tell him I referred you.

Sandra

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angiestaff

we decided to buy a car part cash and part finance...we paid $6000 and had the rest on finance. because we had perm visa it didn't seem to be a problem. i only had to provide my contract with proof of income and they were ok with that fact i hadn't actually started work at the time we bought the car.

this way enable us to buy a slightly better car and keep some of the cash back 'just incase'

ange