The Pound vs Australian dollar

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Australian dollar has been much weaker against the pound recently - please see a review below.

A bad week for the Aussie saw it lose a cent to the pound and nearly two to the US dollar. From its long term highs in March and April it has fallen by -7% against the pound.

The -0.4% monthly fall in retail sales didn't help. Nor did the construction sector purchasing managers' index, which was down by four points at a seriously negative 35.2. The trade surplus looked good though, with exports up and imports down. Best of all was the 50k rise in employment and the downward tick in unemployment from 5.6% to 5.5%.

The trump card on the downside, however, was the Reserve Bank of Australia's decision to cut its benchmark interest rate from 3% to 2.75%. The decisions itself was not a surprise but many investors had expected the move to come in June or July.

The start of this thread mentions interest rate announcements can have an impact on the exchange rate and that is what has happened here - a decision taken, which took most by surprise, therefore we've seen a movement in the GBP/AUD rate.

Guest sithewindows

Hi Tony, are you trying to migrate? I noticed your glasscraft site and thought I would take a look. We are going to Adelaide to work in a glass company. We had SGO Essex at one stage, not really glass craft but I did enjoy a course on sand blasting and gluechiping down your way a few years ago.

Thanks for these updates John.

Hi everyone, the latest currency review is below.

At the tail end of the field the Aussie had another losing week. It conceded a cent and a half each to the pound and the US dollar.

When it came to Australian economic data the Aussie didn't have much to play with. The increase in consumer inflation expectations did not sit easily with investors, who suspect the next move for interest rates is downwards, and there was nothing good about the fall in consumer confidence. Ford rubbed in the overvalued nature of the AUD when it announced the closure of its loss-making Australian assembly facility.

It did not help the Aussie when the chairman of the US Federal Reserve raised the possibility that the Fed could wind down the bond purchase programme that sees it doling out $85bn of new money every month. The assumption is that a wind-down will have an adverse impact on demand for commodities and energy.

The Aussie remained on the defensive for a fifth week, losing a cent to sterling.

Strong building permit issues provided only temporary help. Commodity and energy exporters are still out of favour. Investors are looking ahead to when the US Federal Reserve turns off the money tap and spoils the market for commodity and energy exporters by reducing demand for their products.

The Aussie remained on the defensive for a fifth week, losing a cent to sterling.

Strong building permit issues provided only temporary help. Commodity and energy exporters are still out of favour. Investors are looking ahead to when the US Federal Reserve turns off the money tap and spoils the market for commodity and energy exporters by reducing demand for their products.

Guest sithewindows

I am with you on that one, been before and got 2.25, then when we came back the £ lost about 10% on $ the week after I changed the money from house sale so I think Im due a bit of luck.

Wow, an amazing change so far today, nearly 3 cents change! Hopefully this trend continues until we make the move!

Guest sithewindows

How long you got Angus? Could be a long wait.

We're over 3 cents now, up to a 3 year high I think!

Over 2 dollars would be most welcome....

Guest sithewindows

Looking to get there in August, so I am watching this like a hawk.

House hasn't sold yet. The goal is to get out there in January. You?

The recent rout of the Australian dollar has continued after disappointing growth data for the first quarter of 2013 was published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics. The Australian economy expanded at a slower rate than expected between January and March this year building the case for another rate cut by the Reserve Bank of Australia.

A strong economy, relatively high interest rates and robust demand for its natural resources from its main export partner China, had helped to underpin the strength in the Australian dollar in recent years; however these supporting factors are now beginning to recede. China is experiencing a slowdown of its own economy which will likely lead to a drop in demand for Australian exports.

Sterling on the other hand has been buoyed by a round of improving economic data releases so far this week. First came news that UK’s manufacturers had reported their highest activity levels in 14 months, next came the construction sector with a surprising return to growth driven by residential building. The best was saved to last with the dominant UK services sector reporting a surge in activity, delivering its strongest reading since March 2012. With all three sectors now growing for the first time for a year there are clear signs that the UK recovery is gaining traction.

It can be worth exploring the different options available to you when buying or selling Australian dollars – more information can be found here: http://moneytransfer.pomsinoz.com/various-ways-to-buy-currency.html

Thanks

John

Guest sithewindows

Hi John

Thanks for your info and help on this. As you say there are various options available to us when changing money. It is obviously wise to get expert opinion on this

and I will certainly be in contact with you when I need to.

Last time I used a large company, when I asked if the interest rate that had come down in the UK that day would affect the exc rate the guy put me on to his manager as it was a large amount. The manager advised me to take the rate he was offering on the day. By the following week it had changed by almost 10%.(the wrong way for me!) This was when we returned from WA.

Edited by sithewindows
Extra info

After a bad week at the end of May the Aussie had an awful one at the beginning of June, losing two cents to the US dollar and seven to the pound.

The Aussie and the New Zealand dollar both continued to feel the heat of investors' suspicion that the US Federal Reserve is preparing to wind down its quantitative easing programme, which churns out $85bn of freshly-minted money every month.

Wow, an amazing change so far today, nearly 3 cents change! Hopefully this trend continues until we make the move!

Everyone wants the best exchange rate when they move, but be careful what you ask for. Think about why it went the way it did in the last few years and why it's suddenly changing and what this suggests about how the economic situation is changing here.