Internet - why is it so hard!

FranMarie

I've just been told after waiting a long time that I won't be getting a connection with Telstra to enable me to have Internet until 14th December. I want to cry mainly because it's so far away and I've been trying to organise internet since Sept 1st, and also because I fly home to the uk for Christmas that day so I have to cancel it!

Has anyone else had such a complete nightmare getting connected? I'm feeling vexed and stressed and upset mainly because the entire process has been SO painful.

Internet and telecommunications are a necessity these days, not a luxury. I'm amazing it's so difficult and that it takes so long.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, we had exactly the same problem when we moved in to our house. We had a phone line but couldn't get ADLS broadband but Telstra never really gave a reason why although we are pretty sure now that there were no ports available. We were told that we would have to just keep putting in requests and if a port came free at the point our request went in we would get it but there were no waiting lists for one. We gave up with Telstra and went with Internode as they were cheaper for the phone line and were more helpful when requesting ADSL even when they couldn't help. Eventually we got a connection through Internode and then later we switched to go with Internode DSLAM (basically Internodes own equipment at the exchange). We also tried to get a connection with one of the wireless companies but couldn't get a clean line of site to the wireless towers. A friend at work has wireless as couldn't get ADSL and is very happy with it. Speeds are generally much better than ADSL and it works reliably. Might be worth considering instead of using Telstra.

While we were waiting for an ADSL connection we used a 4G dongle which was fine when the 4G worked but it kept dropping out and there was only a small download limit. We now have a 4G modem with VividWireless for my OH's work which is $89 a month for a 10mbps connection with unlimited download. This works brilliantly and if you can't get a wireless connection I would highly recommend it.

Edited by NicF
Correction

The problem is the infrastructure is really old and not really able to cope with the growing demand but is not being upgraded or replaced because of the roll out of he NBN. Which is okay if you have NBN in your area but not so great if you don't and if you aren't likely to for a few years yet. These problems are why the wireless places are doing so well as they offer an alternative that actually works.

We feel your pain! We too had a nightmare. We approached a few providers. Telstra could provide however no line so we would of had to pay $300 connection. We really didnt want to pay this as we are in a rental and we wont be at this address for long.

Anyway we found a ISP called Vividwireless. Its brilliant. Not had any drop outs and speed is great. We can use it anywere we go.

If anyone signs up, there is an option to enter a discount code. Put in 83931 as you get a month free. (Its a refer a friend code) if for some reason it expires. You can google another one but searching vividwireless reviews.

• 2 months later...