Passports required for baby born in Aus?

Guest Curry Lover

Guest Curry Lover

I'm due to give birth to our second child on 27th October and we are returning to the UK for a visit on 15th December - mad I know! :goofy: I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and knows if we need to get both a British and an Australian passport for the baby? We are permanent residents but don't yet have Aus citizenship. I assume that he/she will need an Australian passport at the very least in order to re-enter Australia as they aren't listed on our visa, but do we need to get a British one right now as well? Obviously we will get the baby a British passport at some stage but weren't sure if it was required for this trip. And is it ok to travel on 2 different passports? I have read the advice given on other forums but found it all a bit confusing :confused: so would be grateful if anyone can help.

And also, is it necessary to get the baby an Australian citizenship certificate right now? Apologies for yet another question and many thanks!

Hi, I would have thought an Aussie passport would be fine. Thats all we are planning to do for Kian. Don't know what a citizenship certificate is but the babies birth certificate should come through in plenty of time to get a passport, Kians only took a week. The hospital will give you the paperwork when you have him so if you send it off straight away you should be fine. The baby will have dual nationality so I wouldn't imagine it would matter what passport it has. When it is older and travelling along this will be an advantage as what my friend does it enter the UK on her UK passport and then enter Aus on her Aus passport therefore saving time at customs.

Sorry can't help more but I think just a Aus passport would do for now and then what I would do it just take birth cert with you.

If the baby is Aussie born they will need an aussie passport to re0enter Australia, they do NOT need a British passport to enter UK but will need whatever visa's are needed in their Aussie passport UK.

I'm presuming you will be travelling on a British passport? I'm not sure what the rules are but check how you go about getting the baby through passport control in UK as you will be going through the British passport holders channel while the baby will need to go through 'other' passport holders channel, same when you return to Australia, baby will go through Aussie passport holders while you'll go through 'other' passprt holders.

As for you getting the baby a British passport later, my daughter just did this for my Grandson as we're returning to UK perm, docs needed were....his birth cert, my daughter's birth cert plus mine and my hubby's birth certs, as well as an official letter with Grandson's name, address, D.O.B on, Danni sent a hospital appointment letter as it's all she'd got that showed the required fields. Mine and hubby's birth certs had to be included because our daughter was born after Jan 1st 1982, just a red tape exercise but rules are rules....

Sorry guys, but you wont get aussie passport for the baby unless you guys are actually citizens. Our daughter was born here, and we had to get a british passport, even though she has a South Aussie birth cert. The visas are automatically included on their passport, but you have to get passport for new baby, and notify immigration with the details of birth and passport number. You can download the form online, and if you have been here for more than 2 years, get it filled in by a professional here who has known you for the 2 years. It only took about 6 weeks for us to get the british passport for our new one. Good luck.

Hi,

I went back to the UK in Feb with my baby who was born here. We applied for an Aussie passport for her and she was fine travelling on that while I travelled on my UK one. When you get to Heathrow you get in the British queue and they are fine with the baby's passport being Aussie (Obviously they cant queue by themselves). We had no trouble getting a passport for her and we are not citizens.

Hope this helps

Wendy

Sorry guys, but you wont get aussie passport for the baby unless you guys are actually citizens. Our daughter was born here, and we had to get a british passport, even though she has a South Aussie birth cert. The visas are automatically included on their passport, but you have to get passport for new baby, and notify immigration with the details of birth and passport number. You can download the form online, and if you have been here for more than 2 years, get it filled in by a professional here who has known you for the 2 years. It only took about 6 weeks for us to get the british passport for our new one. Good luck.

One parent ahs to either be an Aus citizen or have permanent residence for the baby to get an Aus passport. Have a look here, it answers some questions about eligibility

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Newppt/ApplyingU18.aspx So you don't have to be citizens just PR.

One parent ahs to either be an Aus citizen or have permanent residence for the baby to get an Aus passport. Have a look here, it answers some questions about eligibility

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Newppt/ApplyingU18.aspx So you don't have to be citizens just PR.

Thanks for that, guess we were informed incorrectly at the time.

I also understood that if the parent has PR, then the baby is an Aussie Citizen, so you will just need an Aussie Passport, you won't need a citizenship cert as it will automatically be a citizen.

I don't know how long it takes to process an Aussie Passport, but our British ones took a while, so I would just stick with travelling on the Aussie one, as I think that is all you need. To be sure, I would e-mail immigration to check, at least then you know what they say for sure, not what we think. and it will be written down for you.

Best of luck

My children have both Australian and British passports and use their British passports to enter the UK and their Australian ones to enter Australia. My husband has only an Australian one but on arrival in the UK he is allowed to queue up with us in the UK passports line, its never been a problem. Likewise I have entered Australia with my British passport with just a tourist visa and they have let me queue in the Australian passports line, no probs. If you are a family and have young children then we have found that both countries let you go through immigration together as a family. :jiggy:

I should probably add that my husband has got a stamp in his passport that allows him to work in the UK. Otherwise he would get questioned on arrival here. So if you arrive in the UK with only an Australian passport for your baby you would probably get questioned as to how long you were planning to stay. Once when we were leaving Adelaide I didn't show my daughters British passport (only the Australian one) and the guy at the desk said he could see how we were going to get into the UK but not how she would be allowed in. Maybe you'd best check just to be on the safe side.

Guest Curry Lover

Many thanks everyone for all your useful replies. Tracey, as you said, I also understood it that the baby will automatically be an Aus citizen by virtue of the fact that it was born here and we as the parents have permanent residency. (What a shame you were told otherwise Shaun.)

It's a relief to know that we don't necessarily need to get it a British passport right away as that sounds a fairly lengthy process and we will be under pressure timewise, but I will doublecheck this. Also good to know that we can all queue up together even if bub has an Aussie passport while the rest of us have British ones.

Still unsure about the citizenship certificate though. I'd read that an Aussie birth certificate doesn't count over here in the same way as a UK birth certificate (to prove citizenship) so it was best to get a citizenship certificate, but I'm not sure what the situation is when the child also has an Aussie passport - so confusing! But will take foxychick's advice and contact immigration to see if they can shed some light on the matter. I do know that you can get an Aussie passport in just 10 days though (according to the Aus Post passport form) so at least that's one less worry!

Many thanks again for all your advice. Will let you know what I discover!