Bridging visa for perm 887

minkyme29

• 3 years later...

I am wondering the same issue?! once I applied, to 887 could I go offshore and come back? having known that I still have valid 475 valid or should I apply for Bridging B to be able to do so? The official sites states that A or B come into effect once the substantial visa come to stop, which implicitly means that you can go and come without A or B, is this a right assumption?

No it's not. Bridging visa a doesn't kick in until your last visa runs out, but if you leave the country it is cancelled. If you come back before your last visa runs out you can re apply for it.

Thanks Blossom,

The "no it's not" spans which question?

If I understood correctly, you mean that as long as the 475 is valid I can go and come. In this case just burden to renew the A after re-entry. (given that I applied for permanent residency before going offshore)

Back to minkyme29 question: A friend of mine assumes (but not sure) that once you applied on 887 the 475 (or whatever 4xx) deems cancelled giving space to Bridging A to kick in. (I assumes that is not correct?!!)

I've got him cited a statement he's been sent after he applied 887:

[A Bridging Visa A will permit the applicant to remain lawfully in Australia until the onshore General Skilled Migration visa application is decided. Please note a Bridging Visa A will only come into effect when any other visa held expires. The applicant must therefore abide by any conditions of their current substantive visa.

A Bridging Visa A permits the applicant to remain in Australia until 28 days after notification of the decision on the onshore General Skilled Migration visa application and, if that application is refused, continues to keep them lawful until 28 days after all avenues of merits review have been exhausted.

It is not necessary to have a Bridging Visa A evidenced in a passport. However, this email should be kept as evidence of the grant of this visa.

PERMISSION TO WORK

There are no work or study conditions attached to a Bridging Visa A. This means that the applicant has unlimited work and study rights for the period that their Bridging Visa A is in effect. However, please note that a Bridging Visa A does not come into effect until any current substantive visa ceases. The date any current substantive visa ceases may be shown on the visa label. If it does not, and the applicant is unsure as to this date, they should contact any DIAC office for confirmation.

The applicant should be aware that if they breach any condition of their current visa it may be cancelled. It is important therefore that the applicant abides by any existing conditions on their current visa such as work limitations.

PERMISSION TO TRAVEL

This Bridging Visa A will cease if the applicant departs Australia. Therefore, unless the applicant has another visa they will not be able to re-enter Australia. If the applicant needs to travel overseas at any time during processing of their onshore General Skilled Migration visa application, they should apply for a Bridging Visa B visa which permits re-entry to Australia. They must have substantial reasons for travel.

If the applicant does not obtain a Bridging Visa B while their substantive visa (eg any visitor visa, student visa or temporary residence visa they may hold) is still valid, and they depart and re-enter Australia using their substantive visa, they must apply for a replacement Bridging Visa A on return. Bridging Visa B applications can be lodged at any DIAC office in Australia.]

it gives the impression that my understanding is correct, is that right????

MonGD

Hi minkyme29: could you please send extracts of the regulations of Visa A sent to you to following your application lodgement, so we can judge more obiously.

Sure you don't need to put cite your details (just the rules)

Thanks

MonGD

The no was to if that was the right assumption. Yes you can leave, but when you return you must re apply for bridging visa a. The 475 is not cancelled when you apply for the 887. It runs until it expires. If at that time your 887 has not been issued the bridging visa kicks in. The whole point of a bridging visa is to keep you legal in between two substantive visas, not to replace them. If a substantive visa is cancelled rather than expired you don't get bridging visa a, you need another one with far more restrictions.