Not the case in my experience

Leyland CJ

I really dislike :mad: the perception that some of us are tarred with by the popular media. Mods, this probably crosses from 'real estate' into 'discussion', feel free to move :)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/wealthy-migrants-pricing-locals-out-of-sydney-property-market/story-e6frewt0-1225820390894

http://www.news.com.au/money/property/wealthy-migrants-pricing-locals-out-of-sydney-property-market/story-e6frfmd0-1225820461473

I've never experienced it from Australians, but there seems to be a small contingent out there who think that because we're fresh off the plane, we somehow have loads of money from a house sale back in wherever.

Not true. I came here with absolutely zip to 'the promised land' and worked my way up - again - from the bottom, starting over once more.

I can tell you what I have met though :-

- 457 visa workers earning a pittance (not 'commanding high salaries') and sending most of it back home to their families in SE Asia. They don't speak up because they are afraid of rocking the boat and getting deported.

- Skilled migrants unable to find a job or getting less than expected or a lower position than what they were after (I see many Indian students / migrants in this camp) Again, not wishing to rock the boat because of uncertainty in how things work here, no Union representation or advice through lack of knowledge where to find it and not really wishing to lose a hard won job.

Someone please tell me where these 'migrants commanding high salaries' are ?! In my personal experience, it is more likely to be rich mainland Chinese investors, buying a house for their TFB kids to stay in while studying here.

Guest Guest75

Rotten reporting there - articles like this do migrants to this country no favours.

Note that the UK migrant mentioned moved in 2003 - a time when exchange rates were much better plus property sales in the UK were fast and profitable!

Very few of the posters in this forum or Poms In Oz are in this "migrants commanding high salaries" bracket.

You have hit the nail on the head when you mention foreign investors.Some very wealthy Asian families find the only way to get a visa is to invest in property. Word is that Unly and surrounding areas are being bought out for this purpose.

I still cannot get over the bad reporting and have commented on line.

Let's keep this topic "un heated" please!!!!:):):wubclub:

Im not reading the report!!

I would say though, that migrants here, sending money back home are not any different to those who do so from the UK................with some fantastic differences.

Here, healthcare is NOT as free as the UK (think of ambulance cover for a start); social benefits are NOT as readily available and certainly NOT on a 457 visa!

I suspect that the "high salary" earners would be oh..............doctors, engineers, accountants, ........highly skilled people with experience!! Not cab drivers, fruit pickers or service industry workers!

Moosh, you are so right; realtors seriously think we Brits are "cashed up", cos we all sold fabulous country mansions,especially if you were in the SE UK (no offence guys) at inflated prices befor we left the UK. And we probably got here for free, no medical costs, no transport costs, no fees for migration/ DIAC work...............lol.

We dug our heels in when the realtor kept pushing for more money, told him we would walk,...........that stopped him! Also, we didnt tell him how long we'd been here.......

Rotten reporting there - articles like this do migrants to this country no favours.

Note that the UK migrant mentioned moved in 2003 - a time when exchange rates were much better plus property sales in the UK were fast and profitable!

Very few of the posters in this forum or Poms In Oz are in this "migrants commanding high salaries" bracket.

You have hit the nail on the head when you mention foreign investors.Some very wealthy Asian families find the only way to get a visa is to invest in property. Word is that Unly and surrounding areas are being bought out for this purpose.

I still cannot get over the bad reporting and have commented on line.

Let's keep this topic "un heated" please!!!!:):):wubclub:

Absolutely Tyke. It really upsets me a lot when I read articles like this, because not only is it very generalised media (and badly researched), it is the kind of thing that sadly, many people will take notice of - as you can see from the 'comments' generated on the two 'news' sites about "stop migration" and "these imports taking our houses". Redneck or what ?! Reminds me of MediaWatch last year where they highlighted a similar, untrue story about "migrants on PR getting social welfare benefits" - when we DON'T !

It was exactly as scousemouse says in 2003, because the economy was still doing o.k. and the exchange rate was o.k. too., but that view has maybe changed with the well documented crash in RE prices in USA / UK.

I can also fully believe moosh as well with her experience because some of these properties (Weekend AFR, 9/10 January, page 14) are being advertised at rates higher than what the local populace would pay - the same thing was allegedly happening in Queensland a few years ago with spruikers.

Do they still have the '10 bonus points' for PR for 'capital investment in Australia' of $100,000 ? (I'm being serious, they used to have that. If you could show you had at least $100K in a bank ready to invest in Aus, they gave you bonus points. Bit hard for most OS student migrants...unless you're mainland Chinese ?)

Maybe OT but I personally see a massive socioeconomic difference between the Indian students and the mainland Chinese students - the former live six or seven to a house, ride the bus and live below the poverty line, many of the latter have been spoiled and just call up mummy and daddy for more money, handbags and a brand new car.

The difference is amazing. I get the feeling that many of the mainland Chinese are just studying here because it's been paid for (and will go back home afterwards), but many of the Indian students actually want to live here (and so they are migrants as well), studying a course for PR such as engineering, and in the meantime, doing jobs that some won't or don't want to do (like driving taxis or cleaning hotels).

Guest Guest75

The more I think about this article,the madder I become.

Real fuel for the "Anti Pom Brigade" out there.

Let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story and all that!!:skeptical:

I doubt if the reporter gave a second thought to the repercussions of their story.

I did post a message on both the articles (sensible and not argumentative) ............ guess what - my comment has not gone online............:arghh::arghh: