The Novel....!!!!!!!!! Part one

Guest graandjac

Guest graandjac

Well guys what a trip a big roller coaster to be honest,:shocked: I have thought how do I attack this post..? Well me being me I am going to be honest and say it how it is or how we found it, seeing as so many are not going to make it out before the big one, any info will help. So this is our account and feelings, if anyone disagrees is offended or I am wrong then…….sorry.:P

Right ….big deep breath grab a cuppa and here we go….:chatterbox:What ever picture you have of Adelaide forget it now, our vision was very open minded but we were still shocked by what greeted us , and many people already here have said the same, but not often admitted , and one PIA member who had done their reccie said the same to us and I never knew what he meant but it was soon very obvious,. Don’t panic its not all bad just not what we thought . I think it was Lisa (mod)who said she knew someone who wanted to leave the next day and I can see why, but this was a snap judgement and as the days have passed we have taken to Adelaide a great deal .There is not many likenesses if any to the uk, more like the USA ,except for the fact the number of English here. As we left the Airport the inner city is pretty much as any other, layout wise, the roads were not busy and the streets were clean, very quiet for the time of day which was 9.00 AM. After leaving the airport we were keen to get as much done from day one so started nosing around before we had even got to the rental .

After collecting our rental car from the airport, we drove into the suburbs and stopped at Glenelg. The houses are closely packed ,the high street has a great feel and one of the few uk likenesses in the way of a uk high street , the beach is great the housing is mainly existing not much new…..encouraging start.

Moving down south we soon realised that it was not what we imagined, not by a long way, the layout the housing everything was very different. As you travel south the suburbs follow gentle undulating hills, with the Adelaide hills to your left all the way south as far as the eye can see.

After getting lost as the sign posting for the suburbs is bloody awful we stopped for a cuppa and rang Keith (guzzler) and was greeted by a cheerful “gooday mate” and he soon arrived to take us to the rental at Huntfield Heights.

We took a detour along the cliff top at Seaford to Port Noralunga and then inland to the rental (home), at this point I looked at Jac to see a tear running down her cheek, and after her wobble a few weeks ago I feared the worst, after all even I was thinking it was not my vision so what was she thinking…!!!?.

We got to home, a very clean well laid out small estate with a few houses still being built, but with no disturbance to us the house was just what we needed, clean, brand new and everything we could want, we had a cuppa with Keith and Sarah but we were so jet lagged we needed to get to sleep. Warning re the jet lag it might not affect all but it might hit you hard and with small ones it could be a rough first three or four days, but it does pass, but just be prepared.

After they left we both said it was not what we expected but it was early days and we were very tired ,:sad: so after unpacking we went to bed and after a 12 hour sleep we woke to a clear sky and scorchio sun.

The first day we set off to the southern most area we wanted to look at which was Sellicks Beach, a very quiet easy drive for about 30 mins and we arrived, a bit desolate flat area ,lots of new properties going up, and one for the future I am sure but not enough there for us.

Onto Aldinga beach , a few years ahead of Sellicks Beach, house wise and this is a much more developed area , but not for us only because it is a little too far out for us but still only 20 mins from Seaford, there is 3 or 4 schools, shops and a fantastic beach. The land bloc prices are slightly cheaper than a lot of the other areas , but only because it is further from the city.

On to McLaren Vale an inland drive for 15 min , grape vines all around for miles this was a fantastic area a uk style high street and some very nice properties, at McLaren flat there is a land release so there is new property going up, and still available. This area ticked most boxes but for one just not close enough to the sea, in the UK we live 5 min bike ride from the sea and this is our No 1 criteria - we’re all water babies.

The above 3 areas are almost the only spots we found that are separate from any other , town s on there own as almost all other suburbs are just rolled into one.

Onto Seaford and Moana, it is hard to explain the surburs because from the uk we have got it VERY wrong there is no visible break between each one and some very nice areas that are never mentioned, Seaford, Seaford Rise and Seaford Heights is a nice spot some old and lots of new properties with on going land release ,The Esplanade (where Lisa lives) is a fantastic cliff top drive which you don’t realise from the maps down to the beach (heading north) and surf club at Moana, the beach is great and at the weekend all the locals take their 4x4s onto the beach, lots of families, with people fishing.

Forget the fact that “someone said” there might be council housing in that suburb, there might be and you would never know you could be 2 streets away and you would never know, today as I was having my haircut the hairdresser commented on how not to bother with Huntfield Heights as some of the people are “not so nice “….I didn’t tell her that’s where we were staying . Where they are who knows as Paringa view where we are has a great feel to it small at the moment but I am sure it will expand in time, So we need to drop that snobby attitude ,when we(in the uk) think it’s a not such nice an area, how do we know when we have never been…?, and I am sure how much money we have in the kitty affects how people view different areas…!!!! what we should say is its just a little older and some of the properties need tidying up so change that line of thought. Moana is very small rising from the beach up the other side of the cliff 99% older properties but looks and feels great. Port Noarlunga, and Christies beach are also nice spots not many new builds but very nice feel and again a touch of the uk style high street, the Onkaparinga river that arrives at the sea here is Picture post card, there is a large play fort for the brats, lots of dads and lads fishing. Up the river and out to sea there were always school classes in there canoes , and if you follow the river inland to Old Noarlunga I cant describe this jewel, very small on the river very few new properties, a school and a few shops, we walked into the National park 10 mtrs from the houses to look up and see a Koala and baby in the tree, we will never forget that moment…..I popped back there one morning to see another Koala and a kangaroo popped out of a bush, he took one look at me and hopped off op the hill.

Guest graandjac

Next onto Hallet cove this is a cracking suburb , can only describe it as a rabbit warren(not a put down) loads or very nice established houses, but it is very hilly and maybe not for pushing a pram around but still very nice, great looking school ,shops, but have been told the school is full..?.

Forget the talk about the oil refinery you cant see unless you are looking for it, and its not in use we have been told, but from the uk no one wants to be near it…! Also everyone mentions the industrial area up north but there is also on the other side of the main road In Lonsdale, an area made up of various industrial units but this is not often mentioned Huntfield heights (where we are staying) is another one which is never mentioned The Point development is nearby and again is another very nice suburb ,there is land still available with fantastic views down the river valley and on to the sea, but out of our price range as the houses have larger build costs due to the slopping land. A mix of older and brand new properties to get the scale it takes us 10mins drive to get to Moana beach.

North West of the city from Grange to Glenelg is very nice some exclusive spots, close to the city so pricey a drive through Morphett Vale, a very large suburb with every thing you could need, Reynella, Happy Valley and into the hills, very nice suburbs and more established with lost off trees and wildlife, parrots in the trees everywhere, it seems with a few exceptions where ever you go every now and then there is a street that is a little “tired” but the fact they have some older properties that may need a lick of paint does not make it a bad area and this goes for EVERYWHERE, unless it’s a brand new development . An example of this as you drive along the Seaford esplanade there are $700,000 upwards properties and then for no reason there might be a very small older property right next door, We have always said that we want to be as near to the beach as poss so hope to get a place in Seaford rise (new development), this puts us 5 mins from the beach so we have registered for land there.

We drove to the controversial north ,as you leave the city some of the north eastern suburbs are fantastic with some exclusive areas with huge homes, yes also as you leave the city there is lots of industrial areas but they soon disappear when you get to Salisbury and Elizabeth these areas are very run down and I am sticking my neck out saying this but I don’t think anyone will disagree. :pThen you get to the new development of Andrews Farm, everything changes new estates and infrastructure, and after talking to a sales man down south he said that the growth in this region is far greater than the south, but for us it’s the beach thing again.

The hills which covers a large area is a great spot with larger blocks(plots) and on average larger prices, the houses are more spread out and this has a great feel but we wanted to not spend all of our pot on the house alone, so it is out of our price range for now and further from the beach than we wanted to be

Today we drove out to Morphett Vale, Woodcroft, Aberfoyle Park Coromandel Valley and onto Crafters, Morphett vale and Woodcroft for us is to far from the beach still only 15-20 mins but it again had a nice feel with everything you could need, with a mix of older and new homes. Aberfoyle Park had a very nice feel to it with some very nice homes The other two….well if you want the valleys and country side of the uk these areas are a must….stunning valley drives loads of green and trees, with the houses spread out more….stunning !!

Most places you live here you are going to have to drive to the shops as you seem to have a Woolworths supermarket or shopping centre surrounded by lots of other smaller shops about every 3-4sq miles ish max, the people are fantastic and you are greeted by smiles and politeness everywhere , the roads, paths, and parks are clean, the reserves on the maps on a whole are just open grassland or wooded areas , there are loads of small play areas for the brats.

We cant believe how many people drive round with a beer in their hand when the sun is out…(honest),we had a BABY huntsman spider in the lounge and it was about 3in across…aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah,:arghh: ….if you are going to miss certain branded foods or clothes …get a life….;) leave our British snobbery behind they don’t want it …..day to day expenses are I think slightly cheaper….but the over all yearly budget I feel will for sure be lower than the uk as the big expenses are lower . The shopping malls are just like the uk and the clothes look the same …ask Jac!!! I still spent a few hours sat outside the clothes shops…!!!..and the Christmas decs are already up…. bad drivers haven’t seen any, 99% drive to the speed limit which is low so when they pull out in front of you they know they have time to get out, but we say bad driving..!!. To comment on the city to suburbs thing we drove and timed the length of the Express Way going south and it took 10 mins and from Seaford to the city is about 45 mins . I think the one way idea is great as it changes direction at certain times of the day to go with the rush hour. There is loads for the brats here and I cant see any problems with them settling in kids clubs everywhere . It seems on average that you need two to three months find a job unless you have one already soughed . Something else has to be considered there is a huge difference between how much money people are taking, and I am sure this has a massive baring as to how people view different suburbs, If you come here narrow minded and with your sights set to high, I am sure there will be many ending up in much the same position as in the UK debt wise. But for the people like us in the middle money wise there is a good life style to be had. There is loads of houses for sale within a large price range. There seems to be a rise in the younger drivers in there big v8s spinning around certain streets but a tip might be to look at the roads (skid marks) to see where these spots are, then they can be avoided as its very obvious to see.

The people who have made the move talk about “hitting the ground running” ,now this makes sense, we need to keep our feet on the ground and don’t expect paradise, a better place to bring up our children up it certainly is, the life style and quality of life is there to be had at no extra cost.

For us in the beginning we would like to start near to the beach in a larger (closer) communities .

So we have applied for a block and new build in Seaford Rise on the Coast Development , if it’s a new build you are after from scratch it will take at least a year to get it from land to moving in . All I have said is our findings and opinions , if anyone wants to argue pm me as I am NOT going to get into a public argument after recent events on PIA ,and I am not going to bite…!!! if I am wrong I will happily be corrected. We would like to save our thank you’s for another post, we also have loads of pics so we will let you know where they can be viewed ASAP. Hope this help guys, Going to bed for a week now seeing as we drove about 2000km……Cheers Graham & Jacqui

PS……we cant wait to get back and Iam putting this on the site at 4 in the morning as I cant get to bl**dy sleep…!!!!!:arghh:

Great post guys. I think it gives a true reflection of Adelaide as reading through reminded us of our reccie. It is a city where you can have a great life but only if you work at it and leave the attitude back in the uk because unlike the uk they dont do hand outs!

Glad Jacs liked the shops but after your round of golf im surprised you did not get charged for extra baggage allowance with all the clothes she bought!!

Guest muppetbro

...dont do handouts???

your joking the reason so many lazy bar stewards dont work is cos centre link payments are so bloody good and that is the reason why the north and south have so many "social" problems - dsyfunctional families, kids with no parental role models...i could go on.....but be very careful where you live and if your care about your kids education talk to the teachers who work in the schools - and that goes for uk and ozzie teaching staff

take a look in some of the state schools - the system lets them down and perpetuates the apathay of the next generation - hence there is a skills shortage.....and most oz kids are qualified for subway and kfc work but thats cool at 16 when your driving a v6/v8 like a fkin NUTTER.......

nice write up on a refelctive holiday - revisit this post in 12 months and i wonder how much will be the same....???

oh and the weather is proper crap at the moment and the surfing has been so crap compared to what i use to have in the uk......god how i miss clean constant winds

misinformed forums heads - again - tut tut

australia - yeh thats on the east coast between sydney and ballina - adelaide - so very different more like redneck midwest america.....

fk this place is rock n roll - my neighbour is called elvis

over to you dreamlanders

"bad drivers haven’t seen any, 99% drive to the speed limit which is low so when they pull out in front of you they know they have time to get out, but we say bad driving..!!. "

I promise you, you won't be saying that in 12 months time!!!!! Get ready for the hoons and tunnel vision :arghh:. In the next paragraph you say you have seen drivers on a sunny day with a beer in their hand?!!

I thought it was a great post and you took me back to how I thought when we first got here, however, I am so pleased that I didn't buy a house until 12 months later as I have totally changed my opinion on areas after getting to know places better. Sometimes, a honest opinion only comes with having history of the subject.

Have fun driving about, its great exploring new places, good luck with the job hunting, I hope you find a job that will be near to where you want to live and not an hour/ hour an half away from the southern suburbs, the express way is great don't get me wrong but in the rush hour it can take you 40 mins to get into the city (centre) from the bottom of the expressway.

You've arrived at the right time though, summer will be here shortly and then you will love being on the beaches, the sunsets are beautiful.

I like your post for being honest especially about peoples expectations, house wise, money wise etc.

Good luck with your new adventure,

Lisa

Wecome back!!!

Good to read such honest views...cant wait for the pics!!

We are one of the few not doing a reccie, purely for money matters, but as said apart from family i dont really wont to take any of the Uk with me and have had this embedded in my mind since the beginning!

Maybe the chock value makes it all the more exciting and the willingness of making it work for you!

Dan and Steph

Graham, Ian - can't sleep :SLEEP::goofy:

i had a cuppa and told the kids to not disturb me and it was a great read!!!

firstly thanks for taking the time (i can only imagine how difficult it must be to put your thoughts and feelings into a 'short' post)

secondly i like the honesty and the 'not so usual' details!!

glad you had someone to phone when you were lost ;)

you know i'll talk to you later :P

Thanks for that Gar

I for one thought it was a gr8 post.

Intresting to here your views on the north as we are planing on heading up that way.

Obviously we may change our minds when we get their but so far that is in our mind.

Glad you had a good time

Hope the jet lag improves soon:)

Guest addison

We have been waiting with bated breath for your review - and it was worth the wait.

Loads of really useful information that will be invaluable to us as we are not doing a reccie

Glad you had a great trip and are home safely

...dont do handouts???

your joking the reason so many lazy bar stewards dont work is cos centre link payments are so bloody good and that is the reason why the north and south have so many "social" problems - dsyfunctional families, kids with no parental role models...i could go on.....but be very careful where you live and if your care about your kids education talk to the teachers who work in the schools - and that goes for uk and ozzie teaching staff

take a look in some of the state schools - the system lets them down and perpetuates the apathay of the next generation - hence there is a skills shortage.....and most oz kids are qualified for subway and kfc work but thats cool at 16 when your driving a v6/v8 like a fkin NUTTER.......

nice write up on a refelctive holiday - revisit this post in 12 months and i wonder how much will be the same....???

oh and the weather is proper crap at the moment and the surfing has been so crap compared to what i use to have in the uk......god how i miss clean constant winds

misinformed forums heads - again - tut tut

australia - yeh thats on the east coast between sydney and ballina - adelaide - so very different more like redneck midwest america.....

fk this place is rock n roll - my neighbour is called elvis

over to you dreamlanders

GOING HOME OR MOVING THEN??????;)

I CANT FOR THE LIFE OF ME UNDERSTAND WHY SO MANY PEOPLE ARE COMING HERE FROM THEIR BEAUTIFUL

LITTLE DREAM LIKE VILLAGES IN THE UK WHERE THEY HAD EVERYTHING THAT THEY EVER WANTED

Guest dglamoore

Great post and no moderating needed ;)

You will never please all of the people all the time - just put your honest opinion and all in all a good, realistic post. Enjoy your sleep!!

Lisa :jiggy:

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Does this mean you are definately going then?:huh:

If you're anything like us you spent the first few days wondering why you ever thought it was a good idea and those who've never been need to be fully prepared as I'm sure those feelings will be even stronger when your first visit is your actual move.

Really good post though and again reminds everyone that they won't suddenly go from rags to riches. It will just be a different and in my opinion better way of life.

Rachel

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Good post Gra, glad you had a good time.

Like Patch says, spend a few more Ks on the roads, you will come across some bizarre driving...no lights in the rain!!!:arghh:.

Nice to hear Jac thought the clothes were the same, I have always thought so, as the Matalan catalog is still being re directed, also had an 18 yr old who said the clothes were the same. So we are only a season behind!

How long till you come out then???

sarah

It's always good to read about others experiences as it can always support your own thoughts or dispel myths.

I have always considered reccies as essential for anyone considering such a big step. Best to spend a few £K's in advance rather than £10K's moving then returning to uk after a year. Being unhappy 1000's of miles from your loved ones must be like torture.

One thing i will say is to fully experience Adelaide you need to be immersed in it for a couple of months. A short reccie can only give you so much and it's always difficult to get the focus or your objectives right. Do i spend all my time focusing on suburbs and schools or do i spend time getting a real taste of the life by going to bars and resturants, clothes and food shopping? Doing activities and trips that you might do at the weekend when you live there.

The CBD i thought was beautiful, as are the hills and beaches. Some of the more industrial parts and older suburbs can look pretty awful and may shock you, i was!!!!

My short reccie was, i thought balanced and i did all that i planned to, but i still came home feeling unsure about the move and if it was a right thing for my family. For me the bottom line is however as much i like the location i currently live, the local schools and conveniences, they will be matched in Adelaide, i'm sure of it from what i've seen. I feel living in the UK right now is a burden i wish to be rid of.

All being well we'll be in Adelaide in January and i fully intend to make sure as a family we make the most of it. The last thing we'll do is buy property as if we do get it wrong, location, job or whatever, we'll have the flexibility to move on.

I hope i haven't come off all opinionated :wacko:. My intention is to inform from my own experience as many do on this forum.

Gra and Jac i say well done to you for firstly going out to visit and thanks for your honest opinion/assessment of the place.:notworthy:

Paul.

Great post Graham. :notworthy::notworthy: You have raised some very good points and I for one am very grateful. Hallet Cove is top of our list from research done on line and from listening to first hand accounts. I would stress however that we will not commit ourselves to moving there until we have checked it along with all the other suburbs for ourselves. But every little bit of info helps. You are 100% correct regarding why we are going to Oz at all. We don't expect it easy, indeed quite the reverse. We do expect though that the lifestyle will be better along with the weather. I'm looking at it as an adventure. Something to spice up the routine and rat race of living here. Your post gives that very impression and now I can't wait to see it all for myself and do the house hunting, school selection and generally starting a new life.

Thanks again for an honest and informative post.:D

Pete

Guest Guzzler&Sas

can't just read it and not say anything can I????

Well done guys, shoots from the hip! Believe it or not, we have not had a drink since you left! :wubclub:

Catch up soon

Regs

Sas

can't just read it and not say anything can I????

Well done guys, shoots from the hip! Believe it or not, we have not had a drink since you left! :wubclub:]

Not had a drink since they left ey....Says alot about the week!!! :shocked:

I have read through twice now and found some other interesting things, especially regarding the North!! As Pete said its an adventure and we too dont expect it to be easy but will have a damn good time trying!!!

Dan and Steph

Hi there

Glad you enjoyed yourselves eventually and obviously made lots of new friends which will be good for you to know that you are not coming here without knowing people.

Do tend to agree with Patch and SPS I'm afraid about the driving side of things, but hey I don't know what they drive like in your part of the UK!

Also the slightly cheaper cost of living IMO food shopping is much more expensive and just had our electricity bill $769!!!!!! All we had on were lights, tv and heating for four hours an evening! We haven't even got a pool!!!!! Thought last winter's was high at $600!!!!! You do need to remember that the wages are soooo much lower so you really can't compare costs to UK.

Let's hope the time passes quickly for you until you come for good

Reading Sarah's post I re-read mine - I MUST remember not to post first thing in the morning! Who's SPS?!!!:wacko: I meant SSP! Also it may have come across as a bit negative - didn't mean it that way just so that people aren't misled that the cost of living is a lot lower!

Still it is a great life - especially when it's not raining!

Guys, can things go back to items relating to the original great post that Gra done as things are starting to get a little personal. Everyone will have different views and im sure everyone has views that others dont agree with. Please lets calm down and get back to respectful comments

Just wanted to say thank you for posting, I know its not easy putting your own 'personal' thoughts & they can often be taken out of context.

Even so, a great post, honest & I am really pleased that you got a lot out of your reccie,,,,including land (congratulations !) :cute:.

Angela

Guest theshearers

Great post Gra, really appreciate your honesty. You have done exactly as you said you would and post your opinions of Adelaide after a short reccie period.

This is bound to be different from if you lived there, but then isnt that what happens when you go somewhere new???

Good on you for writing down exactly what you think and I am sure the information will be extreamly useful to many other people.

Hope you manage to catch up on your sleep, its a bugger of a flight on the way back isnt it????? At least on the way out you've got something to look forward to!!

Good luck to you, jac and the kids for your future life in Adelaide!

Vicki x

Guest salisbury massive

Just a quick note, when people write about various areas, you must look for yourselves. Salisbury as a whole is made up of lots of different suburbs, some poor, some average and some fantastic. Elizabeth is also made up of lots of different parts, North, South, East, Vale. Again parts are rough, other parts especially on the right side of Main North Road are affordable and quiet. for those of you thinking of moving to the North/east suburbs, don't be put off by what others think. We were frightened off salisbury when we first got here. Now we have a fantastic house on 1/2 an acre - yes in Salisbury Heights. One mans meat is another mans poison etc etc