Help Needed For A Roofer!!

Guest jemima

HI

We are needing some advice from someone that has or is living in Adelaide. My oh is a roof plumber/tiler we are in the early process of our visa's (skilled 175) We are using an agent who has advised us that the pathway d might re-open in the new year so while we wait we thought that we would look up what the work situation and pay is like in Adelaide but we are not having much luck. So my questions are 1) Is there plenty of work for my oh trade? and 2) What the pay is like?

Many thanx

Guest graandjac

:huh:Hi Jemima, i am also going as a roof tiler and slater and have had trouble finding info about jobs..!!, but when we went out on our reccie there really is lots of new build work everywhere so i dont see any problems getting work . As to the rates iam not sure, i did speak to chippy when there and he said that it was not a bad trade to be in but iam not taking that for granted. Also remember that when your hubby gets there that he will need a licence to work. We could keep in touch if either of us comes up with any other info....?

Good luck Cheers Graham

hi,my brother in law got here to oz with his tra as a roofer but was unable to find any suitable employment as one.yes there are plenty of new builds everywhere but the majority of them are metal sheet roofs and not tiles.im sure you will be able to get a roofing job but i would certainly try just to get anyjob while still looking for that roofing one,and just to add that the health and safety is still some way behind the uk so dont expect things like scaffolding around single storey houses etc.

Thanks guys for the info!:) I think we might contact a couple of companies over there to get some kind of idea on rates. As seem to be drawing a blank!!!:arghh:

Graham sounds great to keep in touch if either one gets anymore info. I will let u know how i get on in getting some info from companies!

Thanx again

Jemima

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jemima,

When we were over in april, we got speaking to a guy who had been a roofer/slater, but he is now doing more facades of houses with tile work/slates.

My OH is a painter/decorator and had a look at some of the work this guy had done and said that it looked fairly easy on application and finish, there are quite a lot of people getting this done now in order to change the look of the front of their homes, so this might be another side line that he could consider in order to keep the pennies coming in.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
Guest mrogers

Hello, We are also waiting to see if the TRA change - hopefully soon. We are going to use Darrly from Thinkingaustralia.com He has interested friends and if TRA dont shape themselves, they offer a service where they get you bulk interviews with potential employers. Then go over for interviews and if get job offer - sorted. You guys will prob get there before me so if you get fixed up, please let me know. I currently work with tiles, slates, and anything else. I have been told though, that if you can slate and tile, then the metal roof work is very very simple.

Oh, and wages popped up somewhere, I was speaking to an employer, and I was told, for a tradesmen that minimum is $26 per hour, but his particular firm get the guys on piece work. He said you will earn more that way. Basically he was saying they get so much per m2 for tiling, and the same per linear metre for fascia, gutters.

Hope this is of some help.

Also, whilst im on a roll, where the hell is a nice area, want a beach location. Seen Victor Harbour on TV, looks ok, but is this out of it a little?? Any advice, as areas are stressing me out.

Thanks,

Mark & family.

Hi all roofers out there!!!

Just to let you know i have found some more info on the job and wages.........

I sent out a couple of emails to different companies and was told that alot of there work is either concret tiles or colourbond......one particular company was paying there men $6 per meter and a good roofer can cover between 80 and 100 meters a day.....There are two kinds of roofers they use roof plumbers (guttering and facias) and roof tilers.

I hope this info helps i will let u know if i find anything else.

Good luck to all

Jemima