457 visa - what docs required?

Hi all, hope you are all having a great weekend.

I am currently waiting for my prospective oz employer to get into gear and start the 457 nomination process. Want to try and be on the ball with things and get my part of the visa app sorted as soon as I am able. Been doing some research and reading threads, but can't seem to find out exactly what I will have to do to support the application. Is it just the e application, or will it be meds and police check too? Does it just depend on what they decide and each case is different? Is there anything I can do now to speed up the process?

Thanks in advance!!

Beck

Guest Squareman

You'll need certified copies of passports, qualifications, references, police clearance, marriage certificates for starters....Good luck

Guest Ryan T. Lion

I just got 4 x 457 visas approved for my family and I.

You DON'T need police checks or medicals - you just have to declare any medical conditions that may require treatment in Australia. You also need to declare any convictions etc (and any political activism etc....) within the last 10 years (I think)

If they carried out any police checks on me, I never knew about it!

My employer already had references (I provided them in order to get an offer of employment, ar5e about face compared to the UK) so they might've passed these on.

Also, your sponsoring employer will (probably) use a migration agent to do all the paperwork for you. If so, you'll just fill in an online questionnaire from which they will distill all the necessary answers onto the official visa form - which they'll send you for confirmation/corrections.

457 visas are usually dependent on having private medical/health insurance once in Oz (and contributing to Medicare) however - to lodge the visa application you will need proof of cover whilst you are entering the country (travel insurance should do it) - I got this free with my Barclays Additions Account. So start scouting for cheap holiday/travel cover.

From memory, I provided:

4 x passport copies

2 x kids birth certificates (possibly my own, can't remember)

1 x marriage certificate

...and all qualifications (degree etc...)

Hope that helps. PM me if you have any questions you're uncomfortable posting.

Cheers

Ryan

I just got 4 x 457 visas approved for my family and I.

You DON'T need police checks or medicals - you just have to declare any medical conditions that may require treatment in Australia. You also need to declare any convictions etc (and any political activism etc....) within the last 10 years (I think)

If they carried out any police checks on me, I never knew about it!

My employer already had references (I provided them in order to get an offer of employment, ar5e about face compared to the UK) so they might've passed these on.

Also, your sponsoring employer will (probably) use a migration agent to do all the paperwork for you. If so, you'll just fill in an online questionnaire from which they will distill all the necessary answers onto the official visa form - which they'll send you for confirmation/corrections.

457 visas are usually dependent on having private medical/health insurance once in Oz (and contributing to Medicare) however - to lodge the visa application you will need proof of cover whilst you are entering the country (travel insurance should do it) - I got this free with my Barclays Additions Account. So start scouting for cheap holiday/travel cover.

From memory, I provided:

4 x passport copies

2 x kids birth certificates (possibly my own, can't remember)

1 x marriage certificate

...and all qualifications (degree etc...)

Hope that helps. PM me if you have any questions you're uncomfortable posting.

Cheers

Ryan

Great comprehensive answer Ryan - thanks so much! Can't wait to get started with the whole process now, seems to have been an age from the initial verbal job offer. Hopefully we'll be in Adelaide by the end of the year :D.

Thanks again

Beck

Guest Squareman

I came here on a 457 visa in January and I needed both police and military clearance (having served in the army for a period of time) I also needed medicals done for my wife and I and a full medical for my son.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
I came here on a 457 visa in January and I needed both police and military clearance (having served in the army for a period of time) I also needed medicals done for my wife and I and a full medical for my son.

I think it might be a case of having anything to declare, which then gets followed up? I've known half a dozen or so families (including my own) that needed no checks of any kind whatsoever.

It'll probably come down to the OP's own circumstances I guess.

Hi - I guess it also depends on your job?? Maybe if you are working with kids/hospital etc you would need meds and police checks. I work in insurance, so hopefully won't have to. Although hubby does have some eye problems, so guess he may get reffered for a medical.

Guess we'll just wait and see.

Beck

Guest Ryan T. Lion
Hi - I guess it also depends on your job?? Maybe if you are working with kids/hospital etc you would need meds and police checks. I work in insurance, so hopefully won't have to. Although hubby does have some eye problems, so guess he may get reffered for a medical.

Guess we'll just wait and see.

Beck

We answered 'yes' to questions about going where there's kids (wife teaches) and no checks were carried out. Although police checks are done before she can teach, but it isn't visa related.

I know individuals who got their 457's within a week. Most families of 4 I know got them in 4 weeks. One took 6 weeks - but it was down to a trainee/graduate making mistakes at their end.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
See the link for DIAC info paper on 457. It clearly states that you need police and military clearance, meds etc

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/_pdf/457-application-checklist.pdf

No it doesn't.

It says "evidence that may be required but no limited to"...

So if you declare health issues or anything relating to character (previous convictions etc...) then you'll probably be asked to provide some documented evidence or assessment etc.

If you've got nothing to declare, you'll sail through.

Simples.

Guest Squareman

Ryan, i didnt have anything to declare health or character wise. I dealt with 3 different agents in getting my visa and they all sent me the same checklist. Every other south african i know has also had to submit the same docs.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
Ryan, i didnt have anything to declare health or character wise. I dealt with 3 different agents in getting my visa and they all sent me the same checklist. Every other south african i know has also had to submit the same docs.

Ah... sorry, you're quite correct - it depends on your country of origin.

My answers are based upon my experiences from the UK. I think the OP is a Brit too?

Just checked - yep, Nottingham.

Should be a cakewalk, then.

Ryski.

Yes you are correct, I'm from Nottingham, UK.

I know individuals who got their 457's within a week. Most families of 4 I know got them in 4 weeks. One took 6 weeks - but it was down to a trainee/graduate making mistakes at their end.

4 weeks eh - brilliant. Just need to get employer to sort the nomination out now! Hopefully will get there before summer starts :biglaugh::jiggy:

Guest Fluterby

My family and I, 5 of us all had to have medicals but no police checks. We had no medical issues at all and came from England on 457 visa sponcered by my wife's employer.

David

Guest Ryan T. Lion
My family and I, 5 of us all had to have medicals but no police checks. We had no medical issues at all and came from England on 457 visa sponcered by my wife's employer.

David

How long ago was that?

Reason I ask is that I know a guy that went out with kids on a 457, and when I got interviewed he sat in and said "they've changed everything now, so you don't need chest x-rays etc on a 457 anymore..."

Could be recent thing??

All I know is that in the last few months I've known at least half a dozen Brit families get 457's approved with no medicals at all. Or police checks.

Strange! :skeptical:

Guest Fluterby

We applied for the visa in August 08 and got it Oct 08. Maybe things have changed since then.

It would have saved us a lot of money if we didnt have it done in England cos we had to pay again once here when we applied for PR 3 months after we arrived. It had been over 12 months since the medicals as we had our visa's 10 months before we arrived.

David

Guest Mitchell

I came out on a 457 in sept 10 and didn't need a medical or police checks. I did a police check just before I left the UK as I will need it for PR. I got my visa in July 10 in just 7 days!! Was on a plane within weeks.

• 1 year later...
Guest Elizabeth Jean

I applied for a visa May of this year and I got approved few weeks after. I really had some difficulty processing my papers because it was quite confusing for me. I had to submit police clearance as well as medicals. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship has posted the requirements and also provided a checklist on their website http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/how-to-apply.htm or try checking this link: http://www.austhealth.com/457-visa-requirements.php . I hope it helps!

Hi there,

Just reading this, I have a few questions about the 457 visa. My husband has just been offered a job in Adelaide and I'm assuming he will get the 457 visa sorted out for him. As his wife, what kind of visa would I apply for? Is the employer likely to sponsor a 457 for me too? Would I be able to work somewhere else on this visa? I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I'm just a bit visa-overloaded...!

Thanks in advance

Emma