skill assessment for hgv mechanic

Guest dave&emma

Guest dave&emma

can anyone say what is involved in the skill assessment ie things you have to do and questions that are asked, and on average how long does it take.

thanks dave

Hi Dave,

As far as I am aware there is no skills assessment required for a Diesel Mechanic, I know I didn't have one. My trade certificates and references were sent to the Trades Recognition Australia and if they are happy with them they will issue you a TRA number. Also when you get here there is no other body you have to join to be certified (unlike electricians,plumbers,etc). I think I might still have the PDF for the TRA requirements somewhere and will dig it out for you if you want.

Cheers

Peter

I had to do a vetassess skills assessment before I could apply for state sponsorship,It was a day in a class room at a collage in london,they do have them in northern england as well ,just not when I needed to do it.

It was quite informal the assessor's had flown over from Australia for the week,there was a class room section and then we were tested in the workshop mainly just explaining how you would do a particularly job, ranging from striping a diff and explaining how a gearbox work's ,to spill timing on an inline pump ,which I'd never done before ,explaining the different parts of an air braking system ,which was laid out on a board ,then just testing a starter and a battery,they were other thing's but I can't remember what they were.Checking for a dead short using a muilty meter,I took some of my own tool's and a meter with me.

They did nothing really modern its was all old school stuff,which took a few of us by surprize,they didn't have a formal exam but you did get asked loads on Oz health and safety ,which none of us new much about ,so we just give the answer's for uk stuff.

I think we all passed and I have some sort of ticket off them ,but some people do say its of no use once you move as no one in Australia has heard of vetassess.there's a link here to the web site.

http://www.vetassess.com.au/

Kev.

I've just got the certificate out and it does say on it that Vetassess has been contracted by the trades recognition Australia(TRA) to conduct skill's assessment's in certain countries on its behalf,I think it cost about £1500 to do ,also I forgot before but there was a writen part you had to fill out and pass before you could go for the assessment part.

Kev.

Hi, regarding the TRA. I am about to appy within the next few weeks but have come across a section that says I NEED CERTIFIED TRUE COPIES? I have photocopied my NVQ certificates, references etc but Im stuck. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

(or a JP, try your local council building).

You can also usually use a bank manager, public servant with 5 years service, police officer, magistrate, sheriff (try the local courts for these last two), Australia Post Manager etc. to certify documents. Just get their stamp on it and their name, e.g. Holden Hill Station Stamp, Sgt. Bloggs, Badge Number 123456.

Best to get copies of everything done all at the one time, save you repeating it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jplaysguitar

Please help! We've done all our research, filled out the online visa application (for a 475, regional (provisional) sponsored general skilled migration - GSM). However, we're completely bamboozled by the skills assessment criteria. Wherever we look to find the correct route, we just seem to be going around in circles and, on the one hand, TRA assessment seems to be $300 but then they say on their paperwork that Vetassess are their approved assessor and there are multiple levels of assessment, including practical test, technical interview etc. All told, they're thousands of dollars in fees. Can anyone point us in the correct direction and clarify what's required? We've scoured immigrationsa, diac, TRA and vetassess and are no further forward. We're applying against his occupation (Auto Electrician 3211), he completed his apprenticeship in 2006 and has been employed as an auto electrician ever since.

We're all ready to lodge, save for this so would really appreciate any help you can give.

Jess

Please help! We've done all our research, filled out the online visa application (for a 475, regional (provisional) sponsored general skilled migration - GSM). However, we're completely bamboozled by the skills assessment criteria. Wherever we look to find the correct route, we just seem to be going around in circles and, on the one hand, TRA assessment seems to be $300 but then they say on their paperwork that Vetassess are their approved assessor and there are multiple levels of assessment, including practical test, technical interview etc. All told, they're thousands of dollars in fees. Can anyone point us in the correct direction and clarify what's required? We've scoured immigrationsa, diac, TRA and vetassess and are no further forward. We're applying against his occupation (Auto Electrician 3211), he completed his apprenticeship in 2006 and has been employed as an auto electrician ever since.

We're all ready to lodge, save for this so would really appreciate any help you can give.

Jess

Maybe a complete stab in the dark, but have you talked to the Motor Trades Association ? (MTA).

I work in a 'related field' and we have often had to refer people to them to get recognition of their qualifications as Autogas fitters, so that they can fit LPG tanks into cars. Also, have you tried OCBA, as these are the people who licence some of the trades, so they might know as well.

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing/ and

http://www.mta-sa.asn.au/wcm/

I am just approaching it from the angle that this is the kind of question they get asked all the time, when people come in from interstate with interstate licences and need them converting to SA licences under the MOU; hence, there may well be migrants who ask how to get their ROPL (recognition of prior learning) and experience (or licences) recognised here as well.

As a further angle, if you also ask around some of the "Transport Training Providers" (who do the training to get actual HGV licences, and I know that's not what you're after), but being in the industry, they may know who to talk to, to get "mutual recognition" of licences, it is a fairly common occurence. Where there's a truck depot, there's got to be someone to fix it. Just an idea.

There are also 'registered assessors' who are the people appointed to 'pass out as competent' those people who have trades or 'tickets' such as dozers, backhoe etc., so the principle should be the same, there has to be a registered assessor somewhere who can tick the box and say "yes, you're competent as XYZ". I find it very difficult to believe that "any one statutory body" (and the sharper ones will read between the lines there ;) ) can possibly know 'everything' about the list of trades and professions they have on their (voluminous) list which people get referred to, to deem someone as competent, let alone the sheer size of the job.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jplaysguitar

Hi all,

Further to my last post I managed to figure out that TRA was (probably) the correct assessment authority. The application pack is ready to go tomorrow by courier. I just hope it gets processed before Immigration SA close out the regional sponsorship visa application - last year I think this was at the end of May but if anyone can advise more accurately, it'd be much appreciated. This is gonna be a close one, so I've already pre-filled in the DIAC application too, so we're not caught out next time. Fingers crossed!!!!!!

Jess