Plasterer Struggling to find any work!!! HELP!!

Guest Terry

Guest Terry

Hi my name is Terry ime 22 yr old and a fully qualified Nvq level 2 plasterer in the UK with 7 years Plastering and building experience.. i recently moved to adelaide from Manchester on a 12 month visa ive been trying to find work in the adelaide area.. I have started to try to find any work at all in any area ringing all labouring adds in the papers and on the internet ETC becuase i had no luck after ringing about 50 plastering and building firms in the whole of Adelaide.. I am starting to lose faith and run out of money so i would take a job doing anything at all.. I do have the skills required to suit a plasterer in australia i.e taping and jointing rendering etc.. Does anybody have any pointers or motivational speeches they would like to give me your comments would be very much appreciated. i LOVE IT HERE AND DONT WANT TO HAVE TO GO HOME!!!!!!!!!

Well if its any consolation, its slow for us sparkies too at the moment, Adelaide is certainly a boom or bust kind of place....One week the phone never stops ringing, the next silence... Its tough trying to ride out the quiet times but have faith in your skills and stick with it.

Guest Terry

Hi there thanks This is definatly something i could help u with and i will do it at a very reasonable price if you post me your number il give u a ring thankyou Terry

Guest ebstar
Hi my name is Terry ime 22 yr old and a fully qualified Nvq level 2 plasterer in the UK with 7 years Plastering and building experience.. i recently moved to adelaide from Manchester on a 12 month visa ive been trying to find work in the adelaide area.. I have started to try to find any work at all in any area ringing all labouring adds in the papers and on the internet ETC becuase i had no luck after ringing about 50 plastering and building firms in the whole of Adelaide.. I am starting to lose faith and run out of money so i would take a job doing anything at all.. I do have the skills required to suit a plasterer in australia i.e taping and jointing rendering etc.. Does anybody have any pointers or motivational speeches they would like to give me your comments would be very much appreciated. i LOVE IT HERE AND DONT WANT TO HAVE TO GO HOME!!!!!!!!!

Hi, We just moved in and have lots to do but are just off to the UK for a family wedding. We have a doorway to block off and have just removed some wardrobes to find thats where the plaster stops! My oh wants to do as much a she can himself but there is likely to be plastering and maybe a few other areas where we will need help/tradie. It probably wouldn't be for 6-8 weeks but if you interested send me a PM with your number and i will contact you when ready. Deb

Guest Terry
Hi, We just moved in and have lots to do but are just off to the UK for a family wedding. We have a doorway to block off and have just removed some wardrobes to find thats where the plaster stops! My oh wants to do as much a she can himself but there is likely to be plastering and maybe a few other areas where we will need help/tradie. It probably wouldn't be for 6-8 weeks but if you interested send me a PM with your number and i will contact you when ready. Deb

Hi Thankyou i have personal messaged you my number Thanks Terry

Hi

Would just like to vouch for Terry. He's a great lad and it's certainly not without trying that he hasn't been able to find work, he must have rang every company in Adelaide for plastering or labouring jobs so if anyone out there knows of anything please consider him & give him a break - we don't want him to go home either :arghh:

I know it's a long shot as there's no work for brickies but if anyone knows of anyone looking for a brickie/stonemason my oh has 26 years' experience. He's currently almost finished a tiling job so has nothing lined up. Please pm me.

Thank you

Tracey

Just watch what you are doing, People do not need to pay you if your not a licensed contractor not saying people on here would do that. You can also be fined up to $20,000 for not having a contractors license and carrying out work. Just a head up incase you did not know.

Hi there thanks This is definatly something i could help u with and i will do it at a very reasonable price if you post me your number il give u a ring thankyou Terry

• 5 weeks later...

Are you over on a WHV? If so, you can do any kind of work so if you can't find something in your area of expertise I'd be inclined to start looking at any and all casual work to get you working and earning rather than limiting yourself to labouring or a trade. Its how I tend to think of the visa anyways, earning a bit to supplement an extended holiday and to save dipping into your savings too much.

As Snifter has said, can you try other work? I know a couple of plasterers who have find it tough even though they have always had lots of work. One is an Aussie and he's moved to WA doing other work but earning good money.

Best of luck,

Cooler

Guest Preston

Im in the same boat, I got told Australia was like the holy land for trades. Now im just trying to even find laboring job on sites.

I find Australians tend to wait to employ fellow Australians, my best hope of getting work at the moment is a croatian guy who is letting me start a temp job next week. Ive had no luck with any actual Australians at all. Do they not like English for some reason? I thought we were the same people untill I arrived here

Guest Terry

I know same as its hard to find anything permenent doing bits n bats but the pay is worse than back in the uk.. Got a couple of weeks work with an australian a few weeks back n they wer good guys and the pay was good but the job finished there just doesnt seem to be any permenent work in Adelaide but I dont know if there is anywere else either rec am gunna try sumwer else soon if it dunt pick up Good Luck mate ..

Guest Preston

Well im thinking im just gonna straighten out and get myself into the mines, thats all anyone talks about over here, mines mines mines mines mines mines. I somtimes wonder where would Australia be, without China wanting to dig the entire place up haha

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HRHelp

Where do you live? There are services to help you (all based on where you live!), email me with your Council area! If South there is lots of free help that i can tell you about including workshops starting 31 May to help you find who can help you on your career path bh@developmentatwork.com