Work urgently needed (yes, it's one of those posts!)

Guest Larissa

Guest Larissa

Hello fellow British folk!

Let me introduce myself; my name is Larissa, I'm 20 and I've been here in Adelaide for what I've just realised is 6 months tomorrow! Hi.

While I've been here I've had a few odd jobs (you'd probably laugh if I told you), but now as money is tight - and I'd like to at least save up to get a few weeks somewhere else in Oz before I leave in September - I'm in a frantic search for work. I've had a few interviews, but luck doesn't seem to be on my side.

Does anyone know of anywhere (retail, waitressing, etc) with vacancies? I trekked around Adelaide yesterday for the 1021st time to hand out CV's, but didn't have too much luck.

Please help a pom out!

Beyond kind regards,

Sheila (Larissa)

Guest Guest5035
Love it when a first post is 'gimme gimme gimme'....... yet offers nothing in return in the last 6 months!

she's obviously been busy backpacking and enjoying herself, leave her alone...

stevo

Maybe try places that might employ staff on a more casual, short term/contract basis - or anywhere that does corporate hospitality - eg venues such as AAMI stadium, Ayers House, big hotels, any big sports ground with bars/cafes, or the companies that contract their staff...

Spotless I believe do lots of temp/contract work for events...

I found that whilst on a working holiday visa I didn't get anything very easily at all - most places are (perhaps rightly?) put off by employing someone who will be leaving in a few months - so focus on temp agencies and the kind of places with a very high staff turnover for waitressing.

Depending how desparate you are, there are always telesales/customer service/call centre/door to door sales jobs on gumtree and seek offering immediate start... imagine most of them are pretty dodgy.

Guest Terry

Hi larrisa ime in the same boat been here nearly 6 week and ime pullin my hair out lol your not alone it doesnt seem easy to find work here ime looking for plastering work which there doesnt seem to be alot of at the moment so ive been ringing around tryna get labouring work now hopefully il get sorted soon.. Best of luck hope ya get yaself sorted ;) Terry

Guest Larissa

Thank you for all of your comments (minus the obvious one that will consequently leave me not eating and sleeping for weeks - can sarcasm be seen over a computer?)

I'll definitely be taking the suggestions on board with an unspeakable amount of appreciation.

And not that I want to lower myself to any level, but what I have to show in return for being here for the past 6 months is absolutely priceless and I wouldn't change a second of it for the world.

Thanks again, you lovely people!

Larissa x

Guest Larissa

Considering I only heard of this website on Friday, it would have been impossible to write on here 6 months ago. I could give you something, but it would probably be of offense, and I will not lower myself to being rude over a computer screen. Not everyone is like that, friend.

Glad you've found the site Larissa, and hope some of the pointers help you find something.

FWIW from a mod's point of view, coming on the site and asking for help is something quite different to those people that come on the site and use their first post(s) to try and sell something! The first in my view is what the sites all about, the second just winds me up as it seems to be looking for a perhaps vulnerable group of people to take advantage of!

Scooterdan is actually one of our more pro-active members, putting himself out above and beyond many times to help out newcomers, so don't judge him by his reaction here, as I'm sure he's a really nice person - just may have mistaken your first post as one of the "come on the site, use it for own benefit, and then disappear never to be seen again" people that we occasionally get - although they are usually those trying to sell something, or find someone to take over a lease or sometehing like that - we unfortunately get a lot of those, and they can be quite irritating!

So ask away, and hopefully you'll find something soon - always better to have a few pairs of eyes keeping an eye out for "help wanted" ads, and it'll probably be useful info for others looking too.

Diane probably made my point better than i did!

Jenny...i have used this site many times for help....and received it..... and i have gave loads back, had several large meet ups and after being here 4 years still help when i can!!! Sometimes a first post should at least just be an introduction in the appropriate forum...not just a help me now!

I have been a member on here for some years now and one of the first questions I asked opened me up to abuse - I continued to view the site which I found invaluable but very rarely posted as I had been made to feel my question was irrelevant. This site is supposed to be about helping anyone and everyone and I don't recall reading anything about you having to have contributed before asking for help. I have contributed to the site as well as asked for help on several occasions and appreciate the fantastic advice I've been given.

The job situation at the moment is absolutely dire so I can understand everyone asking for help/advice but please leave out the sarcastic comments - things are tough enough as it is!!

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/out-about-sa/7654-ebay-general-internet-shopping-common-adelaide-2.html

Guest Guest8609

I can't imagine someone has a problem because a newby needs some help... Just can't understand such people.

My mother in law says if you have nothing (nice) to say, just say nothing, sorry...

And the forum IS to help, who said Larissa won't help someone here in the future? Or maybe there is some waiting period here before you ask for help?

Speaking as someone who has a daughter not that much younger than Larissa, I say, " lucky you finding the site and good on you for using it!"

Lots of posters have questions /requests for help as their first few posts and Larissa's is no different.

Have you met anyone so far who can recommend you, Larissa? For example it seems easier to get in to places like Macca's if you have any kind of connection. Otherwise, I know TGI's Marion has recently lost someone from their kitchen? Might be worth popping in if you are in the area.

Sorry I can't be much help, but good luck and enjoy the rest of your stay in Australia!

:wubclub: LC

Guest Larissa

I smile at your supportive replies!

Thanks Lazy Cow (I feel rude writing that even if it is your username!), I'll investigate TGI's, that would be a funky place to work!

And thank you to each of your comments, constructive criticism included. Next time I'll say Hi in a seperate post first ;)

I never intended on coming to the site appearing self-absorbed, but can now see why it would seem that way! If anyone needs any future support I'll be here to offer a helping hand.

Things are on the up (excluding the weather, probably wasn't the best idea to leave my jacket in the UK eh?)

Hope you all had a lovely long easter weekend and ate yourselves silly. I sure did.

Larissa x

• 3 months later...