Worried! Worried! Worried!

Guest ali

I've been reading other people's posts regarding life in Adelaide, migration issues, integration issues and the works. I've been handing out tips and getting loads of them back. Unlike many of you I'm not a Pom rather an Iranian. I look at your posts and you all seem so worried all the time, regarding moving home, getting a job etc., etc.

I think to myself, if these guys are having it so bad then what am I going to be facing when I finally get there? If an English bloke can't get a job in SA what chances does an Iranian have of securing one?

I've been posting out resume's with nothing back at me yet. I've been trying to contact recruitment agencies to sign up with them and still nothing. Coming from a country with so much trouble we are used to moving around and flourishing everywhere we go and this is a fact. But wetting my pants when reading your posts is an understatement.

Any tips, any recruitment agencies (in the hospitality and tourism scene) that you guys can recommend? Anyone that answers and not just boast off about how good they are on their website.

Cheers:smile:

Guest marcandjo

Hi if you look up www.careerone.com.au this is the search engine for local jobs, it is updated every wed and sat I think, surely you can register with a recruitment agency. Im not familiar with that industry sorry. but that site has been a regular in our hosuehold for a while. postivity gets you far. this is our secound time emmigrating and so we feel doubly challenged... lol

good luck

Guest yogi64

Ali

I understand exactly where your coming from, we have been here almost 5 years now, I found work straight away, witch I might add was a bummer as I need a holiday at the time but that's life, my wife retrained to get away from the office job she was doing in the UK, we have integrated, we are now citizens, we only have a couple of Pommy friends, all the rest are Aussies, we don't live by the wonderful beach or near the city, because we don't need it, if we want to go there, we go at the weekends or holidays.

I have noticed since joining the forum that there is a lot of doom and gloom about Adelaide but there is more to Adelaide then just the city and the beaches, there are jobs here, it just depends where you want to look for them! sometimes those jobs come looking for you and sometimes you just need to look outside that box!

As for us, wild horses wouldn't drag our backsides back to the UK, we have good lives, with good friends, good food and drink and not any of the crap that went with living in the UK, we don't earn as much as we did in the UK but for us it was a life style change, we don't do the same jobs as we did, we don't work the same hours that we did, are we happy.....you bloody bet ya.

Now thats my ramble over.....for just now.

So chin up and just go for it, it a whole new life and unless you grab it by the horns with both hands and give it you best, you'll never know.

Cheers

Mike

Thank you Marc and Jo :smile:

I never used this (www.careerone.com.au) one before but I'll give it a try. Like you guys I've been to so many different places but back then as the eldest of an expat family. I hope that this move to Adelaide will be the last and at last I'll be able to call a place home, a home of my own:smile:

Cheers

Mike,

Thank you, thank you and thank you. I know there is hardship everywhere in the world. But I know there is hope as well. There are many reasons for me deciding to migrate to Australia. I had a 100% chance of making it to Canada and I have many friends and relatives over there. Yes, I have many friends in Australia as well except for SA. I don't know anybody in SA. It doesn't scare me one bit.

Like many others I'd love to have a chance to live by the beach or in the CBD but my priorities lie elsewhere. I need to WORK, I need to secure a job that lets me do my best, that pushes me to be my best and that empowers me to bring in the experience and the knowledge. I want to learn, to explore, to embrace.

I want to really make Adelaide my home. That's why I joined this forum. To understand better, to help, to be helped. To feel closer to Adelaide. To feel closer to people who're leaving behind everything in search of a better life. We live once and I want to make the best of it.

Like I mentioned in the original post sometimes when I read other people's posts here it hits a nerve, it scares me alot. But then, I read comments and posts from people who're already there and are still active on this forum by helping others get one step closer to their dream. Just like you Mark.

I hope that at last one of these agencies comes through and just plain replies to my request to sign up with them. I know that is a long shot to hope for securing a job when I'm months away from actually moving to Adelaide but I'd love it if they actually replied and told me that they'd meet me and put my Resume up for job postings when I get there.

I can't thank you enough Mike. You are the tambourine man:smile:

Edited by ali

Guest Helchops

There's doom and gloom everywhere!! One of the main reasons we're moving is to get away from the ridiculous job situation in the UK - but I recently found a job and turned it down over here so if I can get one here, I'm sure I'll find one in Adelaide.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet as well and have a go. I've always said that if you want to work badly enough it can be done; but I know some people have bad luck too - I guess it's down to the cards that fate deals you.

Anyway, I guess my point is that for most people, if they're getting by in the UK a move to Adelaide should be perfectly feasible. We're not expecting it to be easy though, and I think that's the big difference. If you expect perfection in things straight away, prepare to be disappointed I guess! If you lower your expectations, you'll be pleasantly surprised if you do better.

Helchops spot on. We're all after something and we need to constantly remind ourselves and others that are making the move to do their best and to be prepared for a new way of life. :)

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

We found getting a reply from anyone before we actually arrived in Australia was impossible, even with a confirmed date of arrival. Hubby applied to agencies and jobs and we heard nothing at all back. We had a couple of weeks to settle in then started looking for work. We printed out his CV and he went round everywhere, handed it in and spoke to people face to face. He had a job within the week and had calls from a few others too. As long as your prepared to put in the effort and not expect a job to just land in your lap I'm sure you'll be fine.

Ali, one thing that shines through in your posts is how determined to make this work you are. Such a positive attitude will get noticed and I doubt it will be long once you're here that you'll find work. Got to agree with Mrs Bon Jovi, though, that getting a response before you arrive can be difficult.

When we were planning the move I contacted several agencies and heard nothing back, but once I had an arrival date I contacted them again and they were quick to set up meetings.

Good luck, Jim

Guest ozdreamsa

There are really some kind and helpful people here and without their help migration could be impossible.

Whenever you think you need to share, we are always there.

Hi Ali, don't think it really matters where you come from originally. Applying for work from home country will be difficult, it's all about being here. Your written English is excellent, so as long as you have a good command of spoken English as well you'll be fine. Suprising how many people have said to me, 'well your English is excellent' which is cheeky as I am English and our family tree has been traced to the 1600's in England. Have seen plenty of jobs in hospitality advertised and its such a mix of nationalitys here, I'm sure you'll do well.

Guest Carol & Paul

Hi

We moved out 3 years ago and have not looked back.Even with not as much money as Uk the lifestyle is a million times better. We would never go back .Though my son has just come over to join us and has sent out about 50 CV's so far no luck . He goes into places and keeps trying, its said not to see a job on the horizon for him yet, but still willing to retrain to make the best of what's out there. At present he is after any part-time or causal work to keep him going. Cross fingers. Good luck to everyone keep looking.

Carol & Paul

Mrs. Bonjovi,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Now this is another way of looking at it and there's a clear point in your comment. I will prepare myself to flood SA with my Resume's when I finally arrive.:smile:

:smile:

Jim,

Thank you. Thank you for infusing so much confidence in me. People like you inspire others to look at their best qualities to advance further in their lives. I will note your perception of my personality and will try to enhance it to my advantage.:smile:

ozdreamsa,

This is the beauty of this forum. People of all ages, races, backgrounds all with the same goal: migrating to SA. Thank you for watching my back. :smile:

Keldaz,

I had laugh about the 'well your English is excellent' part:biglaugh: Thank you for the positiveness. I am hoping to pick on the Australian accent over there, guess that will help alot.:smile:

Carol and Paul,

I am sure that your son will find something suitable if he continues the hard work and doesn't give up. When I read posts like yours, when people call moving to SA a change of 'life style', boy does that excite me. Thank you.:smile:

Hi Ali

Agree with some of the other posters on here that it is hard to get response when you are not in Oz. Hubbie had two interviews lined up after writing to individual companies from Yellow Pages. He got here and got offered both jobs but turned them down and went for a different one. Here we have found that you need to persevere a bit more than normal and be pushy as they are in no rush, be prepared to travel and sometimes take jobs that you would not normally. I am sure with your attitude that comes across on here, that you won't give up easily and will achieve what you want.

All the best with it

You sound articulate and enthusiastic and, as long as you don't give up trying, I'm sure you'll be fine in Adelaide. Another popular employment site to try is http://www.seek.com.au. I urge you to try there for employment in Hospitality and Tourism.

Don't give up trying. Australia is a land of opportunity, and as long as you don't give up at the first hurdle, I'm sure you'll be fine!! The Aussies are not quitters as a rule, and they appreciate that in others. Keep trying and keep a positive attitude (although don't act too over-confident!), and I'm sure you'll land on your feet before too long.

Best wishes to you.

Hi Niknjas,

Thank you for telling me your story. I will keep my chin up and go for it. You guys are making sure of that and I really appreciate all that you are giving me here.

Cheers:smile:

Hi Barbaitch,

I'm awed by the level of comfort and confidence that you guys are giving me. I will keep your advice in mind and will continue being positive and not over-confident. Thank you again.:smile:

Best wishes to you too.

Gus,

Don't go there. You got a reply which is far more than what I got. Asides from that, with your experience and the know how you'll be able to find a job sooner than later. I'm not worried anymore. Keep your chin up:smile:

Hi Ali

If you are prepared to work out in the country a bit, away from the city centre, I think you'll have no trouble. A while ago through work I was ringing up 'rural' employers (in places like the Clare Valley which is about 1.5 hours from Adelaide) and Coober Pedy which is quite a way out) and some of the places I spoke to were hotels/restaurants - they were saying finding good staff was pretty much impossible out there so I think they would jump at the chance of someone enthusiastic. Also there is the Barossa area, which is only about 40 minutes from town, and McLaren Vale area both of which have a lot of hospitality places.

Obviously it doesn't suit everyone to live that far out, and I'm not sure if you have family coming with you as well, but if you have no luck with Adelaide, cast your net a bit further out and I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Good luck anyway.

Diane

Hi Diane,

This is pretty useful information. Thank you:smile: I'm still single and it doesn't look like I'll be having much luck in the 'love department' before I head out. So working away from the city, it could be a possibility. Why not? As long as there is challenge, as long as there is something new to learn, as long as there are friends to be made, as long as giving the company I work for my absolute best I'll have no problem working out of the city. Thank you for broadening my search and handing me this invaluable tip.:smile:

Cheers,

Ali