Any teachers out there who can chat to me about what it's like teaching down under?

Guest Rosie1979

Guest Rosie1979

Hi my name is Rosie, I'm 32 years old with two girls aged 4 and 7. After my SIL made the move to Perth two years ago and my sister's good friend has just moved out to Adelaide it has always been at the back of my mind about what it would be like to live in your part of the world in comparison to the UK. We have never even visited Australia before and due to finances we would have to make the move blind as finances won't stretch to a holiday for the four of us.

I would love to hear about teachers who have moved out to Australia and how it compares to the UK (working hours/conditions etc/job availability) My husband is a head of a Science department in a secondary school here in the UK. Would it be possible to apply for jobs before moving out for example? My husband would be very wary of moving without a job in place first! How does teaching in Australia contrast to teaching in the UK? Do pensions work in the same way as they do in the UK?! What are wages like? Are you glad you made the move?

If any teachers are willing to share their experience I would be very grateful!

Edited by Rosie1979
typo

Guest Adelaide_bound

Would it be possible to apply for jobs before moving out for example?

Yes, more so because its Science - keep looking in the TES - and google 'school list in Australia', there is a good website that lists all the schools, both private and public to speculatively contact to see if they want someone - there isn't a TES equivalent in Oz, so no one stop shop for teacher jobs listings :( Might need to say whether already have visa/willing to get own visa, or if need sponsoring. I believe there isn't really a good teacher agency in Adelaide region either, they seem to be either East or West Coast, but I've not been looking for a couple of months now. Be prepared for it not being in the metro region though.

My husband would be very wary of moving without a job in place first!

TBH, he may have to - bear in mind though that min. wage is actually a liveable wage out here (something like at least $19ish/hour depending on the job), so if the very very worst happened, you probably wouldn't starve, but it does depend on attitude etc and how much you want to be in Oz vs how much you want the dream job asap etc. Job culture is very different for teachers - a perm. contract is not common (I think due to the rights it gives the teacher - basically the moon on a stick!), but rolling contracts just keep on going as if perm. generally in practise. Getting a foot in the door is key and its who you know, not what you know I think that gets you the job!

How does teaching in Australia contrast to teaching in the UK?

Can't say personally, only from my many Ozzie teaching friends - they have said time and time again to me that after probation, you aren't constantly watched and rated (and found to be failing) like you are in the UK, they kids are slightly better (MASSIVE generalisation - you get good and bad where-ever and good and rough spots where-ever, but the good is better from what I have been told if that makes any sense). So its a bit more fun rather than stomach churning every single day.

Do pensions work in the same way as they do in the UK?!

IE, are they constantly moving the goal posts and when you get to pensionable age will say 'sorry, no money left now, bog off!' :P Again, can't speak from experience, but I don't think they can be worse than the lies in the UK can they?

What are wages like?

SO much better (imho), but still pants compared to other graduate jobs. If you google 'SA teacher Pay' you will find the latest par bands - - I believe a bog standard classroom teacher is around $55K as a complete beginner without any experience, up to around $80K for someone with experience - UK experience is counted towards payrate, it just needs to be proven (a pensions statement will do that if you haven't got service statements/letters etc). I've tried to work out the different types of teacher etc, and can't basically lol, so can't be more help than that - I was told by SA TRB I would probably be on at least $60 and possibly $66K with my provable service history of about 6ish years, but that is just a guideline I think. Supply (relief teaching) is about $200-$400 a day I believe, again dependant on experience (and probably role/area I would think).

Are you glad you made the move?

Haven't started work/teaching yet, and haven't even made it to SA yet, but a thousand times yes. :)

Lyn (Hi Rosie!) Rosie is my best friend's twin sister from where we lived in the UK!! A small world hey?! xx

Hi Vicky! Well, isn't it just!! You must be "the sister's good friend just moved to Adelaide!"

Amazing how technology brings us all together! xxx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am in the same boat waiting for my skills assessment to come back. I have been teaching 16 years and wondered about pay rate and conditions and what is the likely hood of gaining a job offer first. Know I am asking for a lot. are there any other agencies you apply to or????????

Is it right that private schools are better???

If any one has any other info on primary teaching please let me know all will be useful.

SA not taking on primary at the moment hoping they wil have a new quota in July