Anyone else a little aprehensive about moving to Adelaide after hearing about lack of

Guest Paula H

Guest Paula H

work?

I keep reading about how there is no work for any trades, or anyone in fact. Our careerone alerts NEVER have Adelaide on them.

Yet Adelaide is the place we want to move to, and are moving to in Sept.

Guest leeannekays

I think there is a lot of work here but you have to go out and get it and talk to people. The licences take along time and that's what can put you back a bit because as soon as you get here you want to get things rolling and sorted out but they make you wait for your licence.

that's our experience.

Leeanne

I know plenty of locals out of work, let alone newly arrived Poms with no contacts. It's all well and good some people saying that if you have the right attitude you'll get a job and anyone who doesn't find work is lazy, but this just isn't the case at all.

I applied for many jobs, went out and asked around, went to mixers etc and there just wasn't any work in my field and the other jobs I applied for seemed confused why I was applying for jobs they thought 'beneath me' (their words).

Personally, I wouldn't come here and would head to Melbourne or Perth. You may be lucky but there's plenty on here that can't find work. If your trade is slow, no matter how enthusiastic you are it won't help.

I got lucky and got offered a job 2 days before we were planning on moving to Melbourne. After 5 months of looking. A local guy that's lived here his whole life has been unemployed for 8 months and is applying for everything and had no luck.

I will second seek.com for work.. And also try thinking out of the box so to speak, some of the jobs are called different job titles over here. A mate said he used to do cabling in the uk, and looked at line crew work here similar trade he said just called something different. You can also look up companies through the white pages,or google that type of industry then email them regarding work,

You may not hear anything back from a few of them however the ones you do may become contacts for you,

try keeping a log of the places and responses you receive, every little helps and try and stay positive

You would be lucky if there is one job between that lot on seek. No one is spending money just now I am in the building trade and its very slow not many houses getting built just now. Any one that is in the building trade will tell you how slow things are just now they keep saying things are going to pick up but they have been saying that for the last 6 months.

Guest AngPhil

I am panicking now, my OH is an electrician. He should have his A class sorted pretty much straight away (as he's done the ATRC) and is booked in for the PEER course when we arrive. He also has his EngTech (electrical engineering Level 1 – I think in Auz) and does control systems.

We arrive on the 3rd August and our butterflies have well and truely kicked in.

He should be ok there always seems to be jobs about for sparks Its just the other trades that are having problems just now I know a lot of bricklayers are having a bad time.

I am panicking now, my OH is an electrician. He should have his A class sorted pretty much straight away (as he's done the ATRC) and is booked in for the PEER course when we arrive. He also has his EngTech (electrical engineering Level 1 – I think in Auz) and does control systems.

We arrive on the 3rd August and our butterflies have well and truely kicked in.

Guest Jennet
work?

I keep reading about how there is no work for any trades, or anyone in fact. Our careerone alerts NEVER have Adelaide on them.

Yet Adelaide is the place we want to move to, and are moving to in Sept.

I know what you mean; however there is a family auzzie friend over here at the moment and he has told my son there is plenty of work around Adelaide, you just have to want it and look; however he said he's that busy being self employed he can't keep on top of work he keeps getting calls he renders houses etc

jennet

Guest Jennet
I know what you mean; however there is a family auzzie friend over here at the moment and he has told my son there is plenty of work around Adelaide, you just have to want it and look; however he said he's that busy being self employed he can't keep on top of work he keeps getting calls he renders houses etc

jennet

also a friend of mine went out 2 years ago this August her husband already has his own business and has worked since he moved out there he's a joiner

You would be lucky if there is one job between that lot on seek. No one is spending money just now I am in the building trade and its very slow not many houses getting built just now. Any one that is in the building trade will tell you how slow things are just now they keep saying things are going to pick up but they have been saying that for the last 6 months.

I was just looking at the changes to the SOL (Skilled Occupation List) that come into effect 1 July 2012 and interestingly 4 jobs have been added to the list and 4 jobs taken off the list. Two that have been taken off are trade jobs - BRICKLAYER and WALL AND FLOOR TILER.