Carpenters and Joiners Beware *** PM FOR NAME*** bEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Deano1970

Guest Deano1970

Hi all we moved to Adelaide 24/09/11 and have been here 12 months now.

When i first got here got a Job off Seek just casual for 4 weeks paying $22 ph ,then found a job shopfitting for 2 months but was still on $22 ph though fulltime though was taking me a hour to get to and from work and not really what i moved to Australia for.

As many of you will discover its not cheap here and the country is miss sold to us all of the dream life down under.

We were struggling to get a mortgage on wages so yet again moved jobs and found a fulltime job working for a Exhibition Company which was ok as got to travel and See Perth and Melbourne but still couldnt earn enough to finally get Pre Approval for Mortgage.

So i applied for a Job ShopFitting the Job was advertised a contract will fulltime position possible, after going to interview and 3months down the line i Had a call back Offering me a full time position and $27.5 ph + overtime, i had been at my job 6 months and handed in notice to start Job For ​PM for name in Green acres all was going well got pre approval and found a house then 2 days before my 3 month trial was up got laid off due to not enough work.

So we lost house we had set heart on and now have been unemployed 4 wks.

To my amazement when i went on seek my Job was re advertised as wanted shopfitter with fulltime job after temping contract. :arghh:

I did ask before i left if it was just lack of work and was assured it was not down to me.

I have since found out they do this constantly and just use us brits with the hope of fulltime work.

So any one applying for a Job with this company Beware as they have done it to me and other Brits in the past so please if you have a fulltime job don't risk leaving to work for this company as you will end up in same boat as me and many other brits they have used in Past

Edited by noworriesmate
removed company name

Thats shocking mate I work in the building game over here too and some of these firms are right dodgy characters. If you are still looking for work try formwork carpeter they pay around $29 to $35 and you get 9 hour day plus ot.

I would be intrested to know the name of this mob as I run numerous tenders in SA and will look out for them PM me

Guest brianlynnette

hi my o.h is also in th building trade and apparently after 3 months if youre still with the same firm they have to take you on permanent, thats why they get rid of people not just us british, so basically you have norights till yve been employed for 3 months, im sure if im wrong someone will tell me haha :)

Hi Dean, found your post very interesting - Thankyou ! we have been out here nearly a year, my OH is a carpenter/joiner & is currently working full time for a company that is legite. He is loving the work, ...... but as you say it is not cheap living here & he is earning less than he did in the UK, so we are struggling to make ends meet. So i'm looking on Seek & have just applied for a carpenter/shop fitting position on his behalf. I'm now wondering if i have just aplied to this company inadvertently.So would love to know this company's name but i don't come on PIA very often & don't know how to PM you, would you mind PM me back with the details ? It would be much appreciated. Hope you find work soon. It is really tough coming out here. Good luck.