Name ideas new born

Guest Peterroxy

Guest Peterroxy

My sister is expecting a baby soon ideas are slim on the ground with names for boys, she has picked a girls name. They are not sure what the little bundle is as yet soooooo exciting! Any ideas would be great? Then I'll put the good ones to her! No silly names though. Just normal different names.

Edited by snifter
Removed name

Depends on quite a few factors - surname, whether the parents like a name that can be shortened to various variations, nationality/background of parents (one of my pet hates is people that give their children celtic names when they don't have an ounce of celtic blood in them!!), the initials the child will have etc etc.... I think it's always a good plan to find a rich, ageing relative with no children of their own and name the child after them, making certain said namesake is fully informed of this!

Steer clear of any name that looks like the parents have thrown a handful of scrabble letters in the air and named the child after whatever lands first.... and if the child will be growing up in Australia, make sure it's a name that sounds ok when an "o" is added to the end of its derivative (Robbo, Stevo, Jonno.... you get the idea)...

Guest Peterroxy

Oscar is a really nice name! I love it! We have friends with Finley so they can't go with that.

We quite like Carson! Or Riley!

Edited by snifter
Removed name comments

Have they looked on baby name sites? Plenty of names on those to wade through.

I like unusual names but not weirdly different for myself, IYKWIM.

Boys names I like (would not use them for us personally as they are not different enough but I do like them lots) are

Alexander

Theo

Lucas

Luke

Alfie

Nathaniel (not so keen on the shorter version of Nathan but its still nice).

Stanley

Finn

I can think of a heap more but honestly, its hard to know what to suggest. I know what I like for boys and would use myself but as they are personal to me and my family I won't post them here.

Edited by snifter
added some text

Guest ladyarkles

Dylan, Alex, James/Jamie, Toby, Callum.

All the rest I am thinking of sound a bit old-fashioned.

I once knew a woman who called her kids Alfie, Archie and Andy (?)

~ Rachel

Remember that the poor child has got to live with the name, I feel so sorry for celebrity children with silly names like Fifi Trixiebelle, Apple, Blanket etc. David Bowie's grown-up son Zowie calls himself Duncan now! At my children's school there is a Summer and a Fate in the same year.

Guest Guest5035
make sure it's a name that sounds ok when an "o" is added to the end of its derivative (Robbo, Stevo, Jonno.... you get the idea)...

nothing wrong with Stevo..

Stevo

Yeah, the name Rory is pretty cool! I went to school with twins called Cherry and Blossom which still makes me smile!

Twins in the year above me were called Prudence and Patience!!

I like the old Biblical names and their derivatives - Zac, Nat, Reuben, Thomas, Luke, Lucas, Paul, Joel, Simeon, Daniel,

Guest Chris_J

To the op what's the surname? If its something like James then don't have a name beginning with B as we were going to call our daughter Bethany but then I realised what we were doing and then we preferred Isabella. What was with the couple in the UK with the surname Peacock and calling their son Drew.