Child Care Benefit - VISA Question

Guest cloudnine

Guest cloudnine

My family and I are emigrating to Adelaide in Sept 2013 on a 176 SS Permanent Resident Visa. I am currently looking at childcare costs for my 3 year old and I am unsure on whether the 2 year waiting period for new arrivals applies to the Child Care Benefit and for this Visa Class.

​It would make a huge difference if it did !!

Please could someone clarify this for us.

hi we arrived feb 2012 on the same visa as you guys and we get - family assistance, child care benefit and child care rebate, have done since arriving, no two year wait, it is means tested as in how much you approx earn for the year and to get child care help you both have to be either in work, studying or lookin for work, lookin for work means, applying for jobs, lookin for work etc. depending on how much your approx family income is for the year determines how much child care benefit you get, my son currently attends child care 4 days a week, the full price would be $280 but with the child care benefit we pay $150 a week and then on top of that you get child care rebate back which is approx $56 a week, but this all depends on yours a little, can be very income, every case is different, but when you apply for it make sure you tick the box that says you both in work, studying or lookin for work, hope that helps a bit, it can be very confusing when you start to apply, so give me a shout if you need any further info :-)

Guest cloudnine

Thanks so much Star, what a really helpful post. We are sat doing our figures and the child care costs took the wind out of me at first!!! Where do you send your little boy ?

Guest cloudnine

We're looking at Parkside and Annersley at the moment. We visited Annersley when we came over at Christmas and loved it.

Just need to get a job now to make it all possible :D

Thank you heaps for you advice, I might be in touch again !!!!