1 year here & suddenly all feels a lot easier.

Guest GillArch

Guest GillArch

Thought it was about time to join in. Just passed the 1 year mark and suddenly life feels like it is getting much easier and a lot more fun...could have something to do with getting a house with a sea view, but I think it is more about places feeling more familiar and finding some kindered spirits to share a bottle of local vino. Came over with husband & 2 young kids. Just wanted to say hello & hoping to join in. Xx

Guest GillArch

That's true Diane...it is exhausting having to put your thinking cap on for every little detail each day. Living near Norwood has been great for that but often, it's the subtle differences in language that have foxed me...like asking for felt-tips when I need to ask for texters & getting blank looks from poor sales assistants! Getting there though :-).

The best example of "two countries separated by a single language" I heard was a lovely ex-pat pommy lady, shopping in Big W one day, heard an announcement over the tannoy "Could someone from Manchester please come to the Customer Service desk"... thinking she could be helpful, she hurried over to offer her services, only to end up with a very red face when it was pointed out they didn't actually need a Mancunian....!

The best example of "two countries separated by a single language" I heard was a lovely ex-pat pommy lady, shopping in Big W one day, heard an announcement over the tannoy "Could someone from Manchester please come to the Customer Service desk"... thinking she could be helpful, she hurried over to offer her services, only to end up with a very red face when it was pointed out they didn't actually need a Mancunian....!

Beautiful!! I love it. xx

Oh god, do we ever get used to the language changes:wacko: I'm terrible for saying squash instead of cordial! I've picked up a few things but there is always going to be something's that are so ingrained in people.

GOOD POINT

maybe we need a new "Sticky Thread" to build up a Pom / Oz Dictionary

here's a few to start with:

Courgette Zucchini

Sellotape Durex

Durex Condom

Fip Flop Thong

Thong G String

Public School Private School

Lager Beer

Ale Beer

Porter Beer

VAT GST

Federal Government Commonwealth

Cornish Pom

Scottish Pom

Welsh Pom

English Pommy Bastard

Asylum Seekers Illegals

Hardboard Masonite

Light Bulb Light Globe

:swoon: John B

Guest GillArch

Aking for ETFE tape was quite entertaining...it is called washer tape here...why didn't I think if that?! I do like how names for things seem to be a little more obvious and 'say what you see'. Adding to this, there is a whole load of culinary delights that we just don't have in NW England & I am slowly working my way through them...I now love chai, pide and laksa...new words and tastes!