Another new member says hello and asks a few questions :)

Guest lucyhose

Guest lucyhose

Hi everyone,

Firstly I want to say this forum is great and really comforting to know other people have gone through / are going through the big move.

I've just joined the forum and just wanted to say hi really and ask a few basic questions. We have got an agent on board, who believes with my qualifications I could get state sponsorship.

We have 2 children (3 and 6) and would be looking to move out by next xmas, so the kids can start school in the Jan 2015 with the new school term, or sooner if it happens quicker.

1. Can anyone provide any thoughts on good family friendly areas?

2. What are the primary schools like?

3. Does anyone know the average childcare costs, or do schools have wrap-around care / before and after school clubs?

4. Plus a general feel on the job market. I'm in marketing / advertising and my husband manages contact (call) centres. I'm thinking we could just jump in to those roles, as we'd do anything to get us going once we arrived, but I just wanted to understand how easy it would be to find a job upon arrival.

whoops - just realised I said I'd only ask a few questions and have already asked 4! sorry and thanks in advance for your replies.

x

We have 2 children (3 and 6) and would be looking to move out by next xmas, so the kids can start school in the Jan 2015 with the new school term, or sooner if it happens quicker.

1. Can anyone provide any thoughts on good family friendly areas?

2. What are the primary schools like?

3. Does anyone know the average childcare costs, or do schools have wrap-around care / before and after school clubs?

4. Plus a general feel on the job market. I'm in marketing / advertising and my husband manages contact (call) centres. I'm thinking we could just jump in to those roles, as we'd do anything to get us going once we arrived, but I just wanted to understand how easy it would be to find a job upon arrival.

whoops - just realised I said I'd only ask a few questions and have already asked 4! sorry and thanks in advance for your replies.

x

Hello and welcome :)

On phone so shorter reply than I would like

1- it depends on what you want. Plenty of family friendly suburbs and towns. Where you live is often relative to where you work/commute Etc so it's a case of finding somewhere works for you in all fronts.

2- they vary. We put our son into a state primary a couple of suburbs away and have been very happy with it. Was not struck by the closest one, tho it's not a bad school or anything, just didn't appeal. I find if much more relaxed here and I rather like it. Case of looking round, visiting them and seeing what appeals. Some are zoned at primary level but not masses.

3- before and after school care seems good at our sons school. Better than what we had in the UK for sure going on a school v school (for us) comparison.

It's worth bearing in mind your youngest may not be able to start school in Jan 2015. It will depend on DOB from 2014 onwards as it's a one intake system and the cut off is April 30 iirc. If you child turns 5 before this date then will be able to start school in Jan 2015. If they have a 5th birthday after this it's intake the following year.

Cannot comment on work aspect really.

Hello and welcome :)

On phone so shorter reply than I would like

1- it depends on what you want. Plenty of family friendly suburbs and towns. Where you live is often relative to where you work/commute Etc so it's a case of finding somewhere works for you in all fronts.

2- they vary. We put our son into a state primary a couple of suburbs away and have been very happy with it. Was not struck by the closest one, tho it's not a bad school or anything, just didn't appeal. I find if much more relaxed here and I rather like it. Case of looking round, visiting them and seeing what appeals. Some are zoned at primary level but not masses.

3- before and after school care seems good at our sons school. Better than what we had in the UK for sure going on a school v school (for us) comparison.

It's worth bearing in mind your youngest may not be able to start school in Jan 2015. It will depend on DOB from 2014 onwards as it's a one intake system and the cut off is April 30 iirc. If you child turns 5 before this date then will be able to start school in Jan 2015. If they have a 5th birthday after this it's intake the following year.

Cannot comment on work aspect really.

I didn't know that about school age! My son is enrolled in kindy from January 2014, but isn't 5 until August 2014, does that mean he will need to wait until January 2016 before starting school? He's already started here in the UK!

I didn't know that about school age! My son is enrolled in kindy from January 2014, but isn't 5 until August 2014, does that mean he will need to wait until January 2016 before starting school? He's already started here in the UK!

Here, this explains it

http://www.earlyyears.sa.edu.au/pages/HOME/samefirstday/

If he is 5 in August 2014 he will start reception in Jan 2015.

Thanks Snifter! Can't wait to get there now, just wish I could get a job confirmed!

Sorry I can't help too much with OP, but I do know if you are coming on permanent residency visa, working and have kids in childcare you may be eligible for a child care rebate of up to 50% of the costs. I think it's on the centrelink page.

Edited by guspjmh

Plus a general feel on the job market. I'm in marketing / advertising and my husband manages contact (call) centres. I'm thinking we could just jump in to those roles, as we'd do anything to get us going once we arrived, but I just wanted to understand how easy it would be to find a job upon arrival

Some people find work easily, others it can take time, there are no hard and fast rules, sometimes you can be in the right place at the right time.

The job market here has definitely slowed down and has done for the past 12 months, so it may not be as easy to 'just jump' into these roles. I would always suggest people bring enough money at least to cover them for the first 3 months just in case. Nov, Dec and Jan are the slowest months to look for work as places tend to close down over the summer/Christmas period.

Generally admin type jobs are receiving 300-400 applications, so there is a lot of competition for the roles. A migrant who has extensive experience in customer service/call centre roles up to Manager level has managed to secure a temporary position within a call centre which has taken approximately 4 months. Marketing/advertising would also be very competitive. The Adelaide job market is notorious for not what you know but who you know.

Would you also be looking for part time or full time work? Part time work is much harder to find here than in the UK.

Edited by Jessica Berry