Why I live here...

The saying goes that "a picture tells a thousand words".

I took some pictures of my local area (Port Noarlunga and Christies Beach) with the intention of sending them to prospective guests (It goes without saying that I rent out properties to migrants and holiday makers) so that they could see what the area has to offer either for a short stay or settlng longer term roots with their new lives in Adelaide.

I am going to load the pictures on the site with a little explanation attached to them showing what's around me, why I live here and the benefits of establishing a new life this side of the world in Adelaide. When it comes to Port Noarlunga and Christies Beach you really do have "everything on your doorstep". That's the reason that so many new migrants have moved to the continually developing suburbs of Hallett Cove, Christies Beach, Port Noarlunga, Seaford etc.

It would be great if other people added to this thread showing what's around in their suburbs: Seaford for example. Some pictures of the northern suburbs would add to the big picture of what Adelaide has to offer so please post away...let's see what your area has to offer new arrivals in their first few weeks and thereafter.

Tamara

Let's start with a bit of stunning scenery!

Port Noarlunga beach taken from the jetty. Australia's cleanest beach in 2009/10 and ranked in the top 101 beaches in Australia.

1-DSC03548.jpg

Irvine Street reserve. I live in Irvine Street too.

IrvineStreetreservePortNoarlunga_zpsa673a06f.jpg

Port Noarlunga jetty.

1-DSC02878PortNoarlungajettyandprotectivereef.jpg

Christies Beach early morning.

1-DSC00462ChristiesBeachearlymorning.jpg

Christies Beach.

P1011978.jpg

Christies Beach saling club on the esplanade

P1011975.jpg

Christies Beach surf life saving club.

P1011972.jpg

Public barbecue Christies Beach esplanade.

P1011979.jpg

Christies Beach hotel and drive through bottle store!

P1011961.jpg

Christies Beach and O Sullivan's Beach (dog friendly...leash free beach in the background).

DSC02908ChristiesandOSullivanBeaches.jpg

Kiddie play area Beach Rd Christies Beach. Across the road from the beach.

DSC00431_zpscd81caca.jpg

Onkaparinga reserve. Walks and Roo's!

P1012049.jpg

Things for the kids. Play and fun (Beach Rd), laser quest, gym, bowling (Noarlunga).

P1012015.jpg

P1012024.jpg

P1012023.jpg

P1012021.jpg

Shops in Beach Road Christies Beach.

Woolworths and Fasta Pasta

P1012011.jpg

Coles in Beach Road

P1011991.jpg

Vets

P1012007.jpg

Fast foods: Beach Roads and Dyson Roads.

P1012005.jpg

Motor dealerships: Ford, Toyota, Suzuki: Beach Road, Christies Beach.

P1012001.jpg

Doctors rooms in Beach Road.

P1011988.jpg

Port Noarlunga jetty at dusk

DSC00213_zps82d91ce4.jpg

24 hour servo (service station) and subway in Beach Road, Christies Beach

P1012000.jpg

Service SA Christies Beach. Drivers licence centre to obtain Australian drivers licence.

P1011993.jpg

Tennis courts in River Road, Port Noarlunga

TennisRiverRoadPortNoarlunga.jpg

Access to expressway to city. Beach Road, Noarlunga

SouthernExpresswayentryandexitNoarlunga.jpg

Public tennis court in Christie Avenue Christies Beach

PublicTenniscourtChristies.jpg

TAFE and library at Noarlunga centre. 80 metres from the Colonnades shopping centre.

NoarlungaTAFEandLibrary.jpg

Edited by Tamara (Homes Down Under)

There are so many suburbs in Adelaide that are ideal to start out your new journey and to settle in.

Apart from living here myself I honestly believe that Port Noarlunga and surrounding suburbs have everything that a family needs to make the transition easier from the old life to the new.

The suburbs around me are not big. I would go as far as to call Port Noarlunga the "20 minute suburb" as I can WALK to everywhere on the pictures (except O Sullivan's Beach) within 20 minutes from where I live. I haven't seen anywhere in Adelaide that offers so much right on your doorstep.

Having said that, I think that other suburbs like Seaford and Hallett Cove have so much going for them as well. Many Brits decide to move to these suburbs.

When I moved here I started out in a short term rental. The suburb has a stunning beach but everthing else was so difficult. With 3 children we spent most of our day running them back and forth to shops, libraries, entertainment etc. If I had been in Port Noarlunga or Seaford they could have walked!

I would like to see pictures of other areas where people can sort out their new lives easily...20 minutes by foot or a few minutes by car.

I don't know Elizabeth too well. I know that it was created as a model suburb and is surrounded by many facilities that are outstanding. My next door neighbour in Christies Beach (I lived there for 18 months) was one of the original ten Pound Poms (his words, not mine!). He lived in Elizabeth for many years before moving to a house he built in Christies Beach. The most wonderful neighbours anyone could want. Elizabeth and Christies Beach still has a very high proportion of Brits in these suburbs. The newer suburb of Hallett Cove ("little Britain"!) and Seaford Rise have modern homes and good facilities to support them...let's see the pictures so that people moving here can have a look!

It's only the Brits in Adelaide that get so heated about suburbs and areas. The local Aussies (as opposed to the new Aussies) couldn't care less.:smile:

I'd just like to point out there are other suburbs north of Hallett Cove other than Elizabeth. Some are even quite nice and have everything close by that you can walk to as well. Although not all of them have the beach on your doorstop (but some do).

Beautiful photos by the way Tamara. I don't really know Port Noarlunga but it looks really nice.

Guest Toodolou

Lovely pictures thanks , I am finding it hard to grasp how a suburb with such. A small population has so many great facilities. A shopping mall too? Where I live in the UK small town with population of over 30000 people all we have is a cinema , and a high street full of charity shops , phone shops and estate agents . Our parks for kids are a joke ! If I want to buy decent clothes I drive to a bigger town 30 mins away / city . Or buy online.

Do you find you need to drive into the Cbd for buying things like decent clothes etc, electrical goods , or is Noarlunga able to provide the majority of things.

just out of interest , I love Aldis in the uk , is there aldi or lidl in adelaide area?

Lovely pictures thanks , I am finding it hard to grasp how a suburb with such. A small population has so many great facilities. A shopping mall too? Where I live in the UK small town with population of over 30000 people all we have is a cinema , and a high street full of charity shops , phone shops and estate agents . Our parks for kids are a joke ! If I want to buy decent clothes I drive to a bigger town 30 mins away / city . Or buy online.

Do you find you need to drive into the Cbd for buying things like decent clothes etc, electrical goods , or is Noarlunga able to provide the majority of things.

just out of interest , I love Aldis in the uk , is there aldi or lidl in adelaide area?

Great questions...thank you.

There is a very large shopping centre in Noarlunga. It's called the Colonnades centre in the Noarlunga centre precinct. As well as the shopping centre there is also a theatre (Hopgood Theatre), there is a library, council offices, TAFE, health clubs, dentists, etc etc. The Noarlunga centre serves many surrounding suburbs of which Port Noarlunga and Christies Beach are just two local suburbs. You must drive through to the city (or catch the train or bus) for work (if you work in the city) or to go to a concert at the Adelaide entertainment centre etc which is a 40 minute drive away. There is everything that you need in the Noarlunga centre precinct...large electrical stores like Good Guys and Harvey Normans, furniture shops, Toys R Us, auto shops, hair, beauty etc etc. There are motor dealerships, crash repairs, tyres etc. and it's all within 20 minutes walk from where I live.

We don't have an Aldi's yet. There is a Costco opening in Adelaide soon but it will be in the northern suburbs so I will have to drive through there!

There are many areas in Adelaide that have all the above but it's usually necessary to drive to the beaches and the scenic spots. Here you have the lot!

I am sure that lots of pictures are going to get posted of other areas...

Guest Toodolou

Thanks for answering my queries. I know it's each to their own ... but Port Noarlunga area sounds perfect for me and my family , I drive 30-40 minutes to work now so that does not worry me. My nurse shift work often means the roads are less busy when I go to work and drive home anyhow. When I was younger I lived 5 mins drive to the beach , and where I live now I'm 20 mins drive to beach .... Living beachside walking distance in oz will be a must for me - and to have all those facilities on your doorstop , sounds like it is a great place.

Ive made up my mind ..... It's where I'm heading ! Thanks for the insight :)

Guest Guest12727

One reason we like living in Tea Tree Gully Council is the proximity to places like Linear Park and Anstey Hill. Great for walking and nature spotting.

Linear park follows the Torrens River from the Adelaide Hills through the city and to the coast. You can walk, run or cycle the entire length if you wish and my journey to work on the O-Bahn follows Linear Park, very peaceful to view on my 10min ride. Doorstep to desk in North Terrace in around 30mins.

Linear Park is a few minute walk from our house and a great place to run the dog. They are allowed off-lead on our side of the river, but must be on lead on the Athelston side.

lin park 1.jpg

lin park 2.jpg

My dogs favourite swimming spot

lin park 3.jpg

lin park 4.jpg

The O-Bahn

800px-Linear_Park.jpg

Waterworld

http://www.teatreegully.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=788

I can't post anymore photos, apparently only allowed 5. Don't know how Tamara did it?

Some Suburbs in The Gully region

http://www.teatreegully.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=732

Edited by Guest12727

Tamara,

We are looking at moving to Port Noarlunga asap (as soon as house is sold by April May I hope) and wondered what the best way would be for me to research school and colleges for my children daugher will be 17 and son 13 and will I have any problems getting them into schools and colleges on the 489 Visa are there any restrictions as a friend of mine who has recently moved to WA on 489 visa has said there are many restrictions with her childrens education there.

Bal.

One reason we like living in Tea Tree Gully Council is the proximity to places like Linear Park and Anstey Hill. Great for walking and nature spotting.

Linear park follows the Torrens River from the Adelaide Hills through the city and to the coast. You can walk, run or cycle the entire length if you wish and my journey to work on the O-Bahn follows Linear Park, very peaceful to view on my 10min ride. Doorstep to desk in North Terrace in around 30mins.

Linear Park is a few minute walk from our house and a great place to run the dog. They are allowed off-lead on our side of the river, but must be on lead on the Athelstone side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7322[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7323[/ATTACH]

My dogs favourite swimming spot

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7324[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7325[/ATTACH]

The O-Bahn

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7326[/ATTACH]

Waterworld

http://www.teatreegully.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=788

I can't post anymore photos, apparently only allowed 5. Don't know how Tamara did it?

Some Suburbs in The Gully region

http://www.teatreegully.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=732

Looks absolutely stunning! The entire Torrens River area is pristine location.

The system let me load 30 images which is why I had to have Part 2! Maybe the mods can combine them together? Try loading the next batch on a separate thread following your first one...that will be your part 2!!!

Tamara

Tamara,

We are looking at moving to Port Noarlunga asap (as soon as house is sold by April May I hope) and wondered what the best way would be for me to research school and colleges for my children daugher will be 17 and son 13 and will I have any problems getting them into schools and colleges on the 489 Visa are there any restrictions as a friend of mine who has recently moved to WA on 489 visa has said there are many restrictions with her childrens education there.

Bal.

Hi Bal,

It's been a number of years since I moved here and the visa classifications and conditions have all changed. I am not the expert to advise you on the 489 visa...sorry.(wish that I knew more!) I would post your question on a new thread as there are people on here who can better answer this one.

There are high schools, colleges and the local TAFE depending upon the area of study for your 17 year old daughter. Your son would also have a choice of schools either government or private (subsidised).

Tamara

Guest Guest12727

Bear in mind that Noarlunga is like a central hub for the City of Onkaparinga, population around $165,000. So the facilities cater for a much larger pop than the town itself. The coastal regions are also a holiday destination, so the population will increase in the holiday season, providing some support for business in the area.

When researching areas, look at the Council (City) the town or suburb is situated in, this will give a picture of facilities that are available within a short proximity.

Colonades is a reasonably small shopping centre and many people will travel to Marion Shopping Centre - which is huge! - for more choice.

Bear in mind that Noarlunga is like a central hub for the City of Onkaparinga, population around $165,000. So the facilities cater for a much larger pop than the town itself. The coastal regions are also a holiday destination, so the population will increase in the holiday season, providing some support for business in the area.

When researching areas, look at the Council (City) the town or suburb is situated in, this will give a picture of facilities that are available within a short proximity.

Colonades is a reasonably small shopping centre and many people will travel to Marion Shopping Centre - which is huge! - for more choice.

Marion is the largest shopping centre (or was?) in Adelaide with over 300 shops. There are some big shopping centres in the north like Tea tree Gulley. I worked at the Marion centre for 4 years. The Marion centre is 17 to 19 minutes away from my home by car but is also connected to Noarlunga from the Oaklands station. Flinders medical centre and Uni are the same distance.

The Colonnades centre has over 200 stores but there are additional outlets in the Noarlunga centre district which are not part of the Colonnades centre but are within a few hundred metres. The Colonnades centre is connected to the Noarlunga transport interchange and our train line into the city is in its final phase of electrification (although it is delayed) and the older diesel trains are currently running on the upgraded line.

There are two additional stations that will open on the expanded Seaford line and that will occur within the next few months. This will assist those residents of the Seaford area who currently drive to Noarlunga, park and ride into the city, as they will have trains running from their suburb.

The Onkaparinga council is the largest council in Adelaide and their council offices are in the Noarlunga centre.

• 1 month later...

My apologies for ommiting the pictures that I have of Port Noarlunga South.

Stunning beach and coastal area with surfers, canoeist, paddleskiers all taking advantage of their wonderful location. Port Noarlunga South is the next suburb along the coast the other side of the Onkaparinga river estuary. Their surf lifesaving club is very well supported by the local community. The suburb of Port Noarlunga South blends into Seaford along the coast.

Here are a few pics:

P1013349_zps0bbb068d.jpg

DSC01394_zpsdf4cac06.jpg

P1013333_zps9ef02071.jpg

DSC01422_zps33164dc2.jpg

DSC01406_zps24afc168.jpg

• 1 month later...
Thanks for answering my queries. I know it's each to their own ... but Port Noarlunga area sounds perfect for me and my family , I drive 30-40 minutes to work now so that does not worry me. My nurse shift work often means the roads are less busy when I go to work and drive home anyhow. When I was younger I lived 5 mins drive to the beach , and where I live now I'm 20 mins drive to beach .... Living beachside walking distance in oz will be a must for me - and to have all those facilities on your doorstop , sounds like it is a great place.

Ive made up my mind ..... It's where I'm heading ! Thanks for the insight :)

Toodolou I've spoken to you on PIO about Adelaide.... Tamara and Shauns place in Christies is where we stayed and what I was raving to you about how lovely Adelaide is....the fab pictures do it justice....its a gorgeous place I'm sure you'll love it. I'm starting to get excited about our visa application going in this year........can't blinking wait..another reccie to validate hopefully xx

• 3 months later...
Guest Tysonian

Great thread!!

I will have to try to remember to upload some photo's of Elizabeth once we move there; it really is not as bad as its reputation suggests ;-)

• 2 months later...

Great positive thread.

took the family down to Port Noarlunga beachfront yesterday and had fish n chips from the chippy in the village. It was 29 degrees which is warm for September. One of our favourite places. Theres a great place serving meals right on the beachfront which is a treat although a bit pricey.

• 2 months later...

What a real positive thread. Thanks Tamara.

You take it for granted once you have lived here for a while. I will have to add some more pictures on here too.

I see it this way. People move here for an "Australian dream". Loads of people have the hussle and bustle of noisy suburbia in the Uk and I suppose that many are looking for a complete change. There are many beachside suburbs that can offer this lifestyle and we are blesed in Adelaide by having so many stunner beachside suburbs. What you have done Tamara is highlight that there are affordable ones like Christies Beach, Port Noarlunga, Seaford etc that are 15 minutes further from the city. You can have this lifestyle without it breaking the bank. Post some more great threads please

• 3 months later...