Can I move to some other regional area, when I am already sponsored by a state on 489

Brett lee

Hello everyone,

How are you.

I am on 489 visa, and I have about 1 more year left before I apply on 887. I was sponsored by a state. Over the time things have changed, and I am finding really hard to survive here with my wife.

I am wondering if I can move to some other state, and still live in regional area. I know that I can stay anywhere in regional Australia, but bit worried that what if the state which sponsored me takes any actions against me? Till now they havent asked me to fill out any survey which they said they will during sponsoring me? Should I still expect them to send surveys?

Have anyone like me had gone through this before, if you have please share your experience?

I need to know that how I can move from this state to regional VIC, without any problems or hassles. Sorry for long post, I am new here so hope will know how to write here. I hope I will get some favourable replies.

Regards

Brett Lee

Those ( http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/489.aspx#sub-heading-17 ) are the relevant conditions of your visa:

"If you were nominated for this visa by a State or Territory government:

-You must live, study and work in regional and low population-growth metropolitan area and comply with any residential conditions specified by the State or Territory government in your nomination.

-If you later apply for a permanent residence Skilled-Regional visa (subclass 887), you will need to prove that you have spent the specified time in a regional and low population-growth metropolitan area."

So the answer to your question should be written in your nomination, then you have to read your grant letter and search for any restrictions concerning change of address/state.

• 1 month later...
What things have changed? Do you mean you are finding it hard to survive because you can't get work in Adelaide?

Most likely. For some reason, even if your qualifications are exceptional, if you are not South Australian you won't be able to find any job in a high position.

Guest Claire-n-tel
Most likely. For some reason, even if your qualifications are exceptional, if you are not South Australian you won't be able to find any job in a high position.

Ummmm....not true at all.......

Nor in an intermediate one...

Meaning? You were able to find a job in an intermediate role? Well one thing I can say is that just listing my qualification titles requires one page, yet I wasn't able to get an interview for even a L2 IT role, even in those so-called equal opportunity employers! On the other hand, I had several propositions from Melbourne, Queensland, Sydney and a couple of European countries, without even applying. Go figure..

Guest Claire-n-tel
Meaning? You were able to find a job in an intermediate role? Well one thing I can say is that just listing my qualification titles requires one page, yet I wasn't able to get an interview for even a L2 IT role, even in those so-called equal opportunity employers! On the other hand, I had several propositions from Melbourne, Queensland, Sydney and a couple of European countries, without even applying. Go figure..

Can i just ask why you are not taking one of those roles, if they are head hunting you i am sure they would be happy to sponsor you?

You were able to find a job in an intermediate role?

Nope, I mean that is hard to find not only high level position, but also not so high level jobs...

I'm a mechanical designer, 15 years of experience, and even if I have applied for positions like junior draftsperson, I haven't succeeded securing a job in my field in the last three months...

Can i just ask why you are not taking one of those roles, if they are head hunting you i am sure they would be happy to sponsor you?

Well I am about to get one of those roles. That's why I am asking about any potential restrictions of my current visa, in order to avoid unnecessary procedures..

Nope, I mean that is hard to find not only high level position, but also not so high level jobs...

I'm a mechanical designer, 15 years of experience, and even if I have applied for positions like junior draftsperson, I haven't succeeded securing a job in my field in the last three months...

Ohh.. I see

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that for our ss 489 visa we HAVE TO live in south australia and work in south australia for two years before you can apply for a permanent visa?? The whole of south australia is regional so no boundaries there but would think that if you left south australia (or any state you are sponsored by on a 489) to live or work elsewhere it would affect your chances of a permanent visa at the end of the four years!!

Please correct me if I am wrong though??

:err:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that for our ss 489 visa we HAVE TO live in south australia and work in south australia for two years before you can apply for a permanent visa?? The whole of south australia is regional so no boundaries there but would think that if you left south australia (or any state you are sponsored by on a 489) to live or work elsewhere it would affect your chances of a permanent visa at the end of the four years!!

Please correct me if I am wrong though??

:err:

I can't really understand what you are trying to say, but by going to another regional area you are not breaching your visa's conditions. Furthermore, 887 is not a state sponsored visa (you don’t have to apply to any state for sponsorship or whatever before applying for 887). As long as you have lived and worked in a regional area, no matter which area was that, you can get your 887.

I can't really understand what you are trying to say, but by going to another regional area you are not breaching your visa's conditions. Furthermore, 887 is not a state sponsored visa (you don’t have to apply to any state for sponsorship or whatever before applying for 887). As long as you have lived and worked in a regional area, no matter which area was that, you can get your 887.

As I said in my last post forgive and correct me if I'm wrong! I didn't mention 887 visa as state sponsored?? I know it's not! The post was about a 489 visa and the conditions of it, we wanted to live in Western Australia more than we did south australia (family there) but it wasn't possible to get a 489 visa in Western Australia for us so hence the reason we decided on south australia! So you are telling me even though we have applied for a 489 visa with state sponsorship from south australia, we can just go and live and work in regional areas of western australia anyway??

...the answer to your question should be written in your nomination, then you have to read your grant letter and search for any restrictions concerning change of address/state.

Can anyone who has a 489 grant letter in his hands check if there is something written?

Can anyone who has a 489 grant letter in his hands check if there is something written?

Visa condition(s)

8539 - While the visa holder is in Australia they cannot live, study or work outside of a regional or low growth metropolitan area. This means

anywhere in Australia except in:

• Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong and the Central Coast in New South Wales

• Brisbane and the Gold Coast in Queensland

• Perth in Western Australia

• Melbourne in Victoria

• the Australian Capital Territory.

A complete listing of 'regional Australia' and 'low population growth metropolitan areas' by postcode is available.

See: Regional Australia/ Low Population Growth Metropolitan Areas.

As you can see, there is no condition that restricts you being in a specific area, as long as the area you are staying is considered as regional or low growth metropolitan area. Check the post code of the area you want to go, to make sure that it's included

Edited by vjustme

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone... I can see almost everyone here is either going to or already applied to visa 887. we are going to do the same in few days. can anyone help me out with few things here.

I want to know wether form 80 in the checklist is to be filled in only by the main applicant or everyone who is in accompanying family over 18 years.

Guest Claire-n-tel
hi everyone... I can see almost everyone here is either going to or already applied to visa 887. we are going to do the same in few days. can anyone help me out with few things here.

I want to know wether form 80 in the checklist is to be filled in only by the main applicant or everyone who is in accompanying family over 18 years.

Hi Addy! If form 80 is required then you need one for each person over 18

• 2 weeks later...
Visa condition(s)

8539 - While the visa holder is in Australia they cannot live, study or work outside of a regional or low growth metropolitan area. This means

anywhere in Australia except in:

• Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong and the Central Coast in New South Wales

• Brisbane and the Gold Coast in Queensland

• Perth in Western Australia

• Melbourne in Victoria

• the Australian Capital Territory.

A complete listing of 'regional Australia' and 'low population growth metropolitan areas' by postcode is available.

See: Regional Australia/ Low Population Growth Metropolitan Areas.

As you can see, there is no condition that restricts you being in a specific area, as long as the area you are staying is considered as regional or low growth metropolitan area. Check the post code of the area you want to go, to make sure that it's included

hi so can i say that even my visa spinor by SA i need not stay in Adelaide and i can move to Melbourne regional area like Melton?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

this is a very interesting post to me , since am struggling placing even an interview in Adelaide since I arrived 2 months ago. Not even a single interview in my job core , even failed to place an odd job. Now, am thinking to leave SA and go to another regional area in another state before my money finish :( Can u suggest which state is having more regional job opportunities? Am hesitant between QLD , WA or NSW? Can u please help. Am an HR and adminsitrative person btw.

As far as I've understood by reading this thread and also talking about it with my migration agent, if you are here with a 190 visa you can break the agreement with the state if particular conditions may occur, whilst the 489 subclass doesn't allow you to change State even if you move to another regional area.