Moving to Adelaide - Need rental in cheap rate

engrauyon

Hi all,

We have got the 176 visa and are planning to move on late September 2014. Could you please provide me with some advice like -

1. Which one should be the best area to live for a family of 4 (with two little children aged 8 and 2)

2. How much would it cost to rent?

3. Is it possible to rent it BEFORE our arrival so that we can go there straight away?

4. where can I get help in renting the ideal home?

Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

Guest Guest75

Hi,everyone would love a cheap rental I am sure- but you pay for what you get here.

No real help on renting the ideal home as it is up to on your preferences / budget/ where you are working / where your children will go to school.

it's only a very slim chance that you would be able to secure a rental before you arrive.

My best advice is to use the search engine in here and spend a lot of time reading.

The best area to live will be the one you can afford that has everything you want and feels most comfortable to you. You need to think about whether you want to be near the beach, hills, city etc, what kind of amenities you want to be close to, whether public transport links are important and where you are likely to get work and how long a commute you are prepared for. Have a look on google maps at where all the suburbs you find mention of are in relation to each other.

Have a look at realestate.com.au for an idea of rental prices in different areas. And also house prices for later down the line if you intend to eventually buy - no point in renting in an area you have no hope of ever buying anything anywhere near. Remember if an area is cheap there is usually a reason why, which could just be distance from the city. Unless you have been before and know what area you want to settle in I you'll not try and get a long term rental before you get here. A suburb that ticks all the boxes on paper may feel completely wrong in person.

We've been staying in a furnished rental booked through Homes Down Under. Had it for 4 weeks and move in to a longer term rental this weekend - it's worked really well for us. Actually found the house hunting quite easy but definitely recommend going to see a few so you can get a feel for the different areas, compare what you get for your money in different areas etc.

Good luck with it all x

Guest Guest12727
thanks zebedee. You really gave me hope. Though 1 bedroom house will be enough for us, I think I could find one within AUD 200.

You can get a unit or townhouse for slightly over $200 in some suburbs.

I have put a few likely suburbs into Realestate.com.au for you, with max rental of $250pw and 1 or 2 br. It gives you an idea of the sorts of suburbs to focus your research on and what to expect for the money. I would avoid Elizabeth Downs, but otherwise the ones that have come up are OK. I think they have fairly good transport links.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-villa-townhouse-unit+apartment-house-with-1-bedroom-between-0-250-in-munno+para%2c+sa+5115%3b+salisbury%2c+sa+5108%3b+croyden%3b+edwardstown%2c+sa+5039/list-1?activeSort=suburb&maxBeds=2

You can get a unit or townhouse for slightly over $200 in some suburbs.

I have put a few likely suburbs into Realestate.com.au for you, with max rental of $250pw and 1 or 2 br. It gives you an idea of the sorts of suburbs to focus your research on and what to expect for the money. I would avoid Elizabeth Downs, but otherwise the ones that have come up are OK. I think they have fairly good transport links.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-villa-townhouse-unit+apartment-house-with-1-bedroom-between-0-250-in-munno+para%2c+sa+5115%3b+salisbury%2c+sa+5108%3b+croyden%3b+edwardstown%2c+sa+5039/list-1?activeSort=suburb&maxBeds=2

Thanks a million Howde. It was a nice help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Am also planning move by july 12th, looking for a single room, found availiability in prospect, croydon, salisbury suburbs, I need to freeze the lease, pls suggest which area is better in term public transportation, clean/safe surroundings, super markets. food joints, connectivity to CBD and other suburbs etc. pls advice...

Rgds

Bala

Guest Guest12727
Hi All,

Am also planning move by july 12th, looking for a single room, found availiability in prospect, croydon, salisbury suburbs, I need to freeze the lease, pls suggest which area is better in term public transportation, clean/safe surroundings, super markets. food joints, connectivity to CBD and other suburbs etc. pls advice...

Rgds

Bala

Prospect and Croyden are both closer to the CBD, so travel in will be faster, around 15mins. Salisbury also has good bus routes but looking at around 30min+to city. All areas have supermarkets and other facilities. You may find easier access to the central market and there are asian supermarkets in this region from Croyden or Prospect. They are all relatively safe, of course there is never any guarantee. Salisbury covers a large area, so there can be variation across the suburb. Croyden and Prospect are more compact and a bit more characterful (is that a word??).