Where to...and Where now?

Tamara (Homes Down Under)

I was asked a question the other day by one of my guests, "Where did you first stay when you moved to Adelaide and where do you live now?"

I thought that it was an interesting question. I realised that over 85% of all the guests who stayed with me live within 10km of my rental properties. The most popular suburbs that they move to are Seaford, Seaford Rise, Port Noarlunga, Port Noarlunga South, Christies Beach, Aberfoyle Park, Sheidow Park, Hallett Cove and Moana. A few km more and another 7 % are in Mclarenvale, Aldinga, Aberfoyle Park and Flagstaff Hill.

When I moved here I first started out renting a beach shack in Moana for 3 weeks. I then moved to Marino (that's a suburb that you don't hear much about) and then I moved to Port Noarlunga.

I still live in Port Noarlunga and my daughter who doesn't live with me also has a home in Port Noarlunga. My son lives on a farm in Mclarenvale.

There are always people in the UK asking about suburbs.

Where did you start out and where are you living now?

Hutt Street in the City and then Highbury. Do like my H's!

Looked around at lots of different places/suburbs, but haven't seen any that are nicer than where we are! Perfect balance of excellent school choices, excellent commuting distances/times and options, and easy reach of the City for a quick trip to the Central Market, activities for the kids when they were younger, such as Australian Girls' Choir, rehearsals and performances, and annual Musical Theatre Camp for the daughter; cricket coaching at the Oval and within easy reach for musical activities for the son. In fact my son is playing at the Festival Theatre a couple of nights next week - if we lived in one of the distant suburbs that would be a real pain, but as it is, no worries!

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

According to google maps we are 800m from where we first started out back in Jan 2012! We stayed in a B&B in Willunga for 3 months on arrival and have just bought our own house here. We did spend 7 months in Sellicks Beach because we couldn't get a long term rental here to start with but aside from that all our houses have been within that 800m - our house is only 300m from our rental we just left!!

We did quite a few holidays before we actually moved staying at Firle (with the in laws), Adelaide Shores holiday park at West Lakes, Glenelg and North Adelaide. When we moved over we stayed in Firle (at the mother in laws again) then moved to Rostrevor, where we bought a block of land and built a house.

We started in Ingle Farm for four weeks, then down to Moana for seven weeks - we were house sitting. When it came to actually renting we went back up to the city and were in Lockleys for a year; if we could have afforded to buy in the area we would still be there but we didn't have in excess of $800,000.... so we moved south again and are mostly happy now in McLaren Vale.

Although the reasons Diane cites are one big drawback to living this far down: today for instance our son has an appointment at Flinders so we're driving up there and then this evening we have to be back in the city for 6pm because he's performing at the Festival Theatre, so it's an up and down day with almost 200km of driving just to get him to where he needs to be on time... Admittedly that doesn't happen too often but definitely enough to make us sigh.

The area as well may be dictated by school preferances and work travel times.My husband has been made redundant several times in the last yr and is increasingly finding that the majority of jobs available are in the north,which is bad news, as we now live in Seaford Rise,with the price of selling a house and stamp duty costs just not feasible to move again.

You do have to think carefully.

In addition with the new rules for P plater curfews nightmare for our daughter and her friends to have nights out in the city without long travel times and expense.

Sue

Our holiday rental was in Aldinga beach, we rented in Aldinga beach and will buy here, would love to buy in Willunga though, maybe when the kids are a bit older

Willunga is a stunning place. I would love to retire there (or McLaren Vale) one day. My OH has a workmate (from York) who lives there and the drive through the vine region to get there is brilliant. Something about the village feel that really appeals to me. My son is nearby on a smallholding in McLaren Vale and our energetic Boxer is visiting for a few weeks chasing monster roos and foxes!

Wot....you playing up or something? :wink: Scaring the neighbours away are we?

Just need Lazy Cow to join in and the full Witches Coven has appeared!!!!:tongue::tongue:

Ooo, my legs are so smacked now!!!