Getting ready for Citizenship - Any suggestions?!

sunnyside

Hi

We have been here for almost 4yrs and it's time for us to get ready for our citizenship test. Hopefully will submit the application on 2nd Jan 2015.

As I understand once we submit the application they will send us the booklet and a time for the exam. Once we are through then we get invited to one of centres for the ceremony.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Wish you all happy holidays!

Hello there.

Just had my citizenship ceremony last week.. yay

Once you submit your application you will be sent an appointment for your test. You won't be sent a book to revise from unless you request it but you can use the online study guide. I got the book and was glad I did.

The test isn't difficult but it is worth going through the book. Then once you have passed, you know there and then, you will be sent a letter telling you if your application has been approved and then you can wait up to 6 months for you ceremony. 3 months seems to be the average waiting time.

Clare

Did ours last week too. Test is easy just read the book or it's on you tube. Have a go at some practise tests ( although one I used had the wrong answers). We had to wait 6 months for our ceremony. The lovely local scouts and volunteers put on a nice tea. I felt honoured to be part of becoming a citizen although some chose that time to talk on their mobile phones or talk though the mayors speech gggrrrr!!!!

Tina

• 3 weeks later...
Just an update: We have submitted our applications online last night and received an automatic email to attach the supporting documents.

We uploaded the documents this morning.

Countdown starts now!

It's all pretty straight forward from there - they will let you know when to go in for your test - you'll be in and out of that in half an hour tops. The test itself took me 3 mins and my wife, my son and myself all got 100% with only an hour or so of revision. Then it's just a wait for the actual citizenship ceremony, we did ours just before Christmas and got a nice certificate and pot-plant to prove it!!

NWM

Edited by noworriesmate

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update....

We have received the email with a date for the test. 3 weeks from the date we submitted the application.

My husband submitted his a day before me and he will do the test also a day before me! Not sure if this is how it is always done. Or may be just a coincidence.

More later.

Cheers

Edited by sunnyside

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys another update.

We have received the invitation letter for the ceremony mid April so less than 2 months!!!

However, my eldest daughter will be attending a ceremony in another suburb cos she wants to go to Uni and Immigration organised an earlier date for her.

Happy waiting for those of you who have done the test and are waiting for a ceremony.

Hello Sunnyside,

I am also planning to apply Citizenship this year and wanted to know some details for preparing Exam, which book or website you followed to write Exam and did you get the Approval Letter after the Test ? how long it takes to get the approval letter ?

We searched Immigration site and its all there and the book has sample questions and the same questions came for me. Not sure about others.

They will send the approval letter within 5 working days after the test, provided you pass the test.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello there.

Just had my citizenship ceremony last week.. yay

Once you submit your application you will be sent an appointment for your test. You won't be sent a book to revise from unless you request it but you can use the online study guide. I got the book and was glad I did.

The test isn't difficult but it is worth going through the book. Then once you have passed, you know there and then, you will be sent a letter telling you if your application has been approved and then you can wait up to 6 months for you ceremony. 3 months seems to be the average waiting time.

Clare

Hi Clare

After 4 years here- Hurrah!, our family have just submitted our citizenship applications in person at Immigration at Franklin Street in Adelaide. We asked about the book to revise for the test and were told that there is no such book and to research on the web for information. We were told acknowledgements will be weeks away, test invite months in the future and ceremony would be minimum of 9 months as they were very busy. What we were told does not match reports on here, it would seem, on how the process works. We will just have to be patient.

Hi Clare

After 4 years here- Hurrah!, our family have just submitted our citizenship applications in person at Immigration at Franklin Street in Adelaide. We asked about the book to revise for the test and were told that there is no such book and to research on the web for information. We were told acknowledgements will be weeks away, test invite months in the future and ceremony would be minimum of 9 months as they were very busy. What we were told does not match reports on here, it would seem, on how the process works. We will just have to be patient.

Hi Meadows,

Thanks for the info. For hubby and me it's a shocking to read how long it'll be take. Please keep us updated with your time line. We wish everyone the best as we're supposed to apply in early February next year. 9 months is definitely too long, it seems to be increasing the waiting time through the back door from 4 years to nearly 5 years!!! It's unfair to let some migrants become Australians after 2 to 3 months and others have to wait like a full pregnancy circle. Hopefully this was just a piece of wrong information from a staff member overwhelmed that a family applied in person and they may not used to it anymore. I read somewhere but can't verify the information that Australia has quotes for how many migrants can become new citizens. Is that true? What did they tell you was the reason for the heavy delay/backlog? Technical issues, not enough staff or even the new facility in Franklin Street is too small to accommodate for the test /interview than Currie Street was? Would be interesting to know the reason behind that issue as the queue won't be shorter in the future and DIPB can't use the same excuse over and over again. For us it's frustrating to read this but thanks for sharing.

We asked about the book to revise for the test and were told that there is no such book and to research on the web for information.

Have a look at this link, this gives you information on the book and other resources...

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/cit_test/practice/

When we did our test you could order this book and it was posted to you, now it seems it is just in an online format and you can download or print yourselves. I remember sitting reading the book at work at lunchtime and asking my Aussie colleagues questions, which they didn't know the answers to! :jiggy: