Job Offer

bob_kennedy

I have just been offered a full time, permanent job (with Super). I have been here 8 weeks (loving it) and I have had 3 interviews, this job being the third one. The job is in the IT field. I am posting because I see a lot of people panicking over not getting a job in my field within the first few weeks of arrival. Adelaide does not work that way. Don't use Seek or Career One to apply for positions, instead ring up the agencies advertising the positions and request a face to face with them. I built up a great relationship with the agencies and recruiters. The feedback from the agencies on the interviews that did not work out was fantastic and I was able to bring it to the next one.

Anyway, over the moon now.:)

I got my permie job through applying on Seek so I think advising against it is wrong, best advice is to use the job search engines alongside your method for a full on approach.

As far as I'm aware all government agencies have to advertise their jobs, so the search engines will cover this area and the recruiters will cover the private sector.

Hi

I am not saying not to use Seek. But I think in Adelaide, especially when it comes to IT, it's the personal approach that works best. I was told this by each agency I went to. People already established here in IT say it's a "who you know" as opposed to "what you know" industry.

hi there

Thank you for your positive helpful post. can you please explian more about your approach.

and please possibly name some of the related agancies there. I am moving to Adelaide within a few months .My work field is SAP.

thanks very much in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations! Thanks for advice. My husband and I arrive on the 7th March! Eeek! We're so excited but obviously nervous about finding jobs. My husbands a carpenter and I've been a quality assurance analyst in a call centre for the last 7 years. Not sure if they have similar jobs in Adelaide. I'll most definitely get in touch with recrutment agencies when we arrive!

Congratulations! Thanks for advice. My husband and I arrive on the 7th March! Eeek! We're so excited but obviously nervous about finding jobs. My husbands a carpenter and I've been a quality assurance analyst in a call centre for the last 7 years. Not sure if they have similar jobs in Adelaide. I'll most definitely get in touch with recrutment agencies when we arrive!

Hi goodluck with your move, we arrive in Adelaide 21st March, my husbands a carpenter also! I work in retail.....please let us know how you get on :)

all the best

I have just been offered a full time, permanent job (with Super). I have been here 8 weeks (loving it) and I have had 3 interviews, this job being the third one. The job is in the IT field. I am posting because I see a lot of people panicking over not getting a job in my field within the first few weeks of arrival. Adelaide does not work that way. Don't use Seek or Career One to apply for positions, instead ring up the agencies advertising the positions and request a face to face with them. I built up a great relationship with the agencies and recruiters. The feedback from the agencies on the interviews that did not work out was fantastic and I was able to bring it to the next one.

Anyway, over the moon now.:)

My experience echoes yours 100% with regards IT work - met up with some agencies face to face, and quickly had a couple of interviews and one job offer, great feeling isn't it? Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

hi!

just want to share a positive outcome too. I arrived in November and started hunting for jobs at the end of January. Got one yesterday in my field in a great company! I am very happy... Skills for all was a great help for me, I went to their workshops (interview, resumes, pathway to employment) and prepare one interview with my consultant. I wasn't confident at all when I started to look for jobs, mainly because English is not my first language and because I don't have any local experience but I have been lucky to meet people who don't mind about my accent and the fact that I sometimes need to ask to repeat a word or a sentence!

I had other interviews with another company but got a faster answer from the first one. So I am happy to go with it! (I am in management)

Happy now!!!

hi!

just want to share a positive outcome too. I arrived in November and started hunting for jobs at the end of January. Got one yesterday in my field in a great company! I am very happy... Skills for all was a great help for me, I went to their workshops (interview, resumes, pathway to employment) and prepare one interview with my consultant. I wasn't confident at all when I started to look for jobs, mainly because English is not my first language and because I don't have any local experience but I have been lucky to meet people who don't mind about my accent and the fact that I sometimes need to ask to repeat a word or a sentence!

I had other interviews with another company but got a faster answer from the first one. So I am happy to go with it! (I am in management)

Happy now!!!

Hi Gwen,

Thank you for your helpful positive post.We are planning to move in August .

I didnt know there is something like Skills for All in Adelaide . That can be very handy indeed.

I would be appreciative if you give more information about this agency.

Thanks

One of my Aussie friends rang me this morning to say she has an interview next week. Her previous contract wasn't renewed because of budget cuts (sign of the times) so she is keeping her fingers crossed for next week. It is a temporary role, but often these can become longer term. I am working on a contract at the moment that was only for 3 months and I have been there over 2 years. Often if you are a good fit in the team/organisation they will try to keep you.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Hi Gwen,

Thank you for your helpful positive post.We are planning to move in August .

I didnt know there is something like Skills for All in Adelaide . That can be very handy indeed.

I would be appreciative if you give more information about this agency.

Thanks

Hello Mojan - I've just done a search engine search on the internet and come up with this link (if it is allowed by the mods then it will still be there and if not then it will be removed) http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/careers-jobs/skills-needed-in-south-australia

Please don't ask me any more questions though because I don't know anything else other than the search I did on the internet. Good luck.

Hello Mojan - I've just done a search engine search on the internet and come up with this link (if it is allowed by the mods then it will still be there and if not then it will be removed) http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/careers-jobs/skills-needed-in-south-australia

Please don't ask me any more questions though because I don't know anything else other than the search I did on the internet. Good luck.

yes this is it!

in fact, I registered on SA government website before we left France and I was invited to a welcome session (about visas, studies, help for searching a job....) and there, Skills for All explained what they were doing. They were next door (55 curie street) so I went there and register for the resume workshop (french resumes are very different than aussies ones)... then, I met "my" consultant who helps me to prepare some interviews. They are very busy but helpful. They do not work with all visas types so you need to check with them, but if you are a PR, no worries.