Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Up market areas

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by snifter View Post
      What about up in the hills around Stirling, Aldgate, Bridgewater and around there? Some gorgeous houses with large gardens. And being small towns they have a lovely feel about them, far from city or suburban feeling, good local shops and very pretty. Also famers markets, events and things going on in them. And not far to the city and elsewhere.
      Actually staying just outside Aldgate at present, checking out the area for transport etc. as there will come a time when we canīt, will not be able to drive.

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Mitcham, Urrbrae, Unley - south east of the city.

Tennyson is quiet and upmarket but it's by the beach.
      Backpacked round Australia 1992. Married Australian husband in Adelaide 1994. Lived in Adelaide 1994-1997. Moved back to UK & lived in Essex/Herts 1997-2009. Returned to Adelaide November 2009. 2 kids dual nationality.

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
      Actually staying just outside Aldgate at present, checking out the area for transport etc. as there will come a time when we canīt, will not be able to drive.
      Just a point on this, obviously it depends on your own circumstances but it may be that there are lots of other things that you can't do before you find you can't drive. My mother in law is 86 and is still driving but she is no longer able to take care of her garden or do her own cleaning. She has someone to clean for her and a guy that mows the lawn and her kids and their spouses help with the other stuff. If you are choosing a property with a view to staying there in to old age then you also need to consider ease of maintenance of the inside and outside and ease of getting around generally. I would avoid anywhere with much of a slope and anywhere with stairs. No reason why you can't have land just make sure it's something you will be able to look after, or pay someone else to look after for you.

And apologies if I'm telling you stuff you are already well aware of.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by NicF View Post
      Just a point on this, obviously it depends on your own circumstances but it may be that there are lots of other things that you can't do before you find you can't drive. My mother in law is 86 and is still driving but she is no longer able to take care of her garden or do her own cleaning. She has someone to clean for her and a guy that mows the lawn and her kids and their spouses help with the other stuff. If you are choosing a property with a view to staying there in to old age then you also need to consider ease of maintenance of the inside and outside and ease of getting around generally. I would avoid anywhere with much of a slope and anywhere with stairs. No reason why you can't have land just make sure it's something you will be able to look after, or pay someone else to look after for you.

And apologies if I'm telling you stuff you are already well aware of.
      Funnily enough, the couple whose house we bought, they were both in their 80's and very keen gardeners but were downsizing on their garden space and bought a place up in Stirling. Apparently they filled it with plants in pots and its stunning but much much smaller for them to manage so they can continue to do themselves for as long as possible.

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Sprinter . . . if you wish to have an upmarket suburb with good sized blocks, Beaumont and St Georges in the eastern suburbs are worth a look, though if you wish to be even closer to the city, try Toorak Gardens or Dulwich. However wherever you choose depends on your budget, and of course the further away you go from the city, the more you get.

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Just bumping up my old thread as we have just got our 405 visa and will be coming house hunting early in the new year. Hopefully we will find what we are looking for, a quiet area with a good community feel about it, not near schools, with good views, reasonable size garden, house, and a must a decent garage. 800k budget, not near the beach, new info on any areas to look at or avoid very much appreciated.
      Many thanks

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Willunga might suit - quite a way out of the city but the transport is good (bus to Seaford then the train in or while you're still driving it's under an hour to the city on the Expressway) although you've got McLaren Vale, Aldinga, Seaford and Noarlunga for everyday shopping. There's definitely a sense of community in Willunga and always loads going on.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...unga-124078470
      http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...vale-124138026

Or moving out towards Kangarilla (there's someone on here who's recently moved in with their son on a property in Kangarilla), or up towards Meadows.

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
      Just bumping up my old thread as we have just got our 405 visa and will be coming house hunting early in the new year. Hopefully we will find what we are looking for, a quiet area with a good community feel about it, not near schools, with good views, reasonable size garden, house, and a must a decent garage. 800k budget, not near the beach, new info on any areas to look at or avoid very much appreciated.
      Many thanks
      Come and have a look at Highbury - we are next to Linear Park and it's beautiful here. We belong to the local community garden and have got to know lots of neighbours through that. Stonyfell is nice too. If you drop me a message when you arrive, I'd be happy to meet for a coffee with you on a day I'm not working maybe when you are checking areas out.
      Sometimes the grass will appear greener on the other side because it has been fertilised by bull****

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
      Come and have a look at Highbury - we are next to Linear Park and it's beautiful here. We belong to the local community garden and have got to know lots of neighbours through that. Stonyfell is nice too. If you drop me a message when you arrive, I'd be happy to meet for a coffee with you on a day I'm not working maybe when you are checking areas out.

we are at Highbury too and love it. We live just near the community gardens and they are fab. Foothills of Adelaide are the best in my opinion but depends what you like..
      Primary school teacher, married with 2 kids. Arrived 30/3/13, living in Northeast suburbs and sooo glad we made the move!

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12