Up market areas

Sprinter

We are in Adelaide at the moment and looking around the areas, we are looking for a nice quiet area with reasonable size properties, not where you can shake hands with the neighbour out the window, reasonable transport links and not near schools and play areas, I suppose it could be called a bit up market and not a beach area. Any suggestions as to where might be suitable. Thanks.

What kind of budget? I'd be looking at somewhere like Burnside, Kensington Gardens, Beulah Park, Stoneyfell or Auldana. Or any of the suburbs around that kind of area. Or somewhere like Mitcham or Springfield. All a bit expensive for my budget though. For something a bit less pricy you could try somewhere like Flagstaff Hill or Aberfoyle Park, or in the other direction Fairview Park or Banksia Park. The north east suburbs have the benefit of being near the O-bahn which is fantastic for getting in to town quickly.

I'd probably look to the eastern side, both east, north east a bit and south east.

Every suburb in Adelaide is going to have schools and playparks. Just a case of finding a suburb you like, with a house you like in a street you like away from those things. Also lots of kids playparks are situated within larger reserves as its space for all. Often I think an area is enhanced having such a lovely space that all can use.

I'll talk about areas I have gotten to know and hopefully you'll hear from others about eastern suburbs and other possible areas and perhaps more about the ones I mention too :) You can find some more upmarket areas (for want of a better term, at least that fit your preferences) around Aberfoyle Park, Flagstaff Hill into Coromandel Valley and then dropping down into Hawthorndene, Glenalta, Blackwood, Belair and into the Mitcham suburbs and then heading north from there into the eastern suburbs and beyond.

Parts of Glenelg are lovely too. Can be pricey there for property but lots of lovely streets with pretty big blocks, often with older houses on them. And again, some reserves and play areas but there are lots of streets where there are none. Glenelg residential areas can be pretty quiet but with the bonus of Jetty Road not far away, a tram line close by into the CBD. However, it is a beach suburb but we lived a few streets back from that and you wouldn't know it was only a few minutes up the road tbh. However, we prefer hills, scenery around us and are not fussed about a beach close by so bought inland up in the foothills.

FWIW we live in an area, right on the edge more like :cute: of a suburb that is as you describe. Apart from that we have a lovely big reserve about 100m away that is for all ages, not just kids. It has tennis courts, BBQ, small play area away and a large green space dotted with trees you can wander round, walk the dog or just sit and enjoy. And then 25 m behind our house is another green space, nothing in it, just green space and trees where people run their dogs, amble through or sometimes kids play. But from both of these we don't get disturbed in the slightest and it actually added to the appeal of the area for us having lots of green space around, houses not cramped together and being in an area with lots of trees and scenery. We are also not near any schools to be disturbed from traffic there at either side of the school day. And we are in a cul de sac so no through traffic which makes a difference for us. Added plus point for us is that we can walk out our door and within 100 metres or so we are heading out into the foothills and walking a trail into the countryside. Its peaceful here, not built up with all the houses in our street having garden on all 4 sides, not just front and back IYKWIM. Also streets around us have the same. Good sized blocks, many have double garages and stuff. Within a minute or two in the car we are heading to the top of the hill and rural country roads. From there we can go the back roads to Mclaren Vale down south or Mt Lofty way, Stirling and beyond. Also can be in the city with ease coming in from Mitcham way along Fullarton Road.

I'd think it will be your budget that helps you decide which areas you will focus on more. Eastern suburbs are pricer than the south eastern for example.

Many thanks for the replies, we have seen a couple of the places and are quite reasonable, we have a reasonable budget from the sale of a business in the UK, so value for money and a bit of room are important. I am still amazed driving round (which I am still finding a pleasure after a few years driving in Switzerland, where no one seems to obey speed limits, probably because you don't get points for speeding unless you are miles over the limit), as to why so many properties are crammed into a small area, virtually touching each other, there is probably a logical reason for this, like the price of land etc. or profit for the developer.

I will enjoy the next couple of weeks looking at all the areas before making a shortlist.

Any further suggestions good or bad always appreciated.

Thanks again.

Lots of the new build houses are bigger houses with more indoor and entertaining space than garden space. So although the block may be a decent size, the house is as big as possible squished into it. Views from bedroom windows therefore are non existant. You just about get daylight coming in and the view is a colourbond fence a metre away from the glass. Many new builds I see have hardly any garden out back (or front) but they do have an undercover entertaining area.

In some of the developments going on it is row upon row of houses touching fences almost as you describe. Also with new builds on blocks in older areas that have been designated for medium density development. So where one 3 bed house with large gardens front and back once stood, in its place are narrow houses running right back, often 3 or 4 on the one block. We viewed some in and around Marion, Warradale, Brighton and a few other suburbs around there and found all of them to be pretty horrible in terms of space, layout and back yard size. And they wanted a big chunk of change for them. No thank you.

Look around the eastern suburbs and go out from there, also up the hill a bit as mentioned. You'll see a difference in terms of space and type of house. Of course, new builds crop up everywhere but you'll have plenty to choose from between old and new. We love our house for its setting. We have a neighbour at the back and one to one side of the house. The side one is a long ways away from the house too and we are slightly higher up so its almost like noone is there. The garden is screened off really well so it feels very private when out there. The other side and front are onto the road and again, we sit on the high side of the street for the front and the side is all fully fenced and again, large space between house and fence. It was one of the big draws of the house for us. Garden on all 4 sides :smile:

Also consider whether you prefer something older with character or newer. The traditional quarter acre block was what houses were built on, so if you look at the older suburbs you are still able to find largeish properties on largeish blocks, but you will have the related maintenance issues with older properties. The suburbs for this kind of thing tend to be those closer into the City - Goodwood, Unley, Walkerville, Prospect for instance. Looking at newer properties you will often find the blocks are smaller as a traditional place will have been knocked down and more than one property built on the Lot, but obviously then you are more likely to find a two-storey property with less needing doing to it.

You could go out into the Hills a little and find somewhere as well - Belair and surrounds as mentioned by Snifter above, and Greenhill Road are both well-located for city-access, or if you don't mind being a bit more rural you could look at a site such as http://www.countryestates.com.au for some real Hills living options.

Thanks Snifter,

Looks like you had a similar wish to us and sound as though you found it.

We have another 3 weeks to go so should find some areas to suit us, we do not wish to sound snobbish, but have done the kids era and now moving on to our time.

Thanks again

O I get you totally. Quite understand. We have a child but we like our peace and quiet and that when we shut the front door its our little oasis :cute:

I know I went and looked at one house up in the hills somewhere, I think Belair and while the house needed work, it was in a stunning location, right on the edge of a reserve, huge block of land around it on all four sides, hills away in the distance as a view from two sides of the house, I was in awe. Right at the end of a quiet no through road and the reserve (well, more like a national park if you wandered a bit futher) began at the end of the back yard. I loved it but the house was just too much work for us to want to take on. If you've a decent budget to spend you could also look to finding something that needs work but is in a great location somewhere in the large area that are the older hills suburbs.

What about up in the hills around Stirling, Aldgate, Bridgewater and around there? Some gorgeous houses with large gardens. And being small towns they have a lovely feel about them, far from city or suburban feeling, good local shops and very pretty. Also famers markets, events and things going on in them. And not far to the city and elsewhere.

What about up in the hills around Stirling, Aldgate, Bridgewater and around there? Some gorgeous houses with large gardens. And being small towns they have a lovely feel about them, far from city or suburban feeling, good local shops and very pretty. Also famers markets, events and things going on in them. And not far to the city and elsewhere.

Actually staying just outside Aldgate at present, checking out the area for transport etc. as there will come a time when we can´t, will not be able to drive.

Actually staying just outside Aldgate at present, checking out the area for transport etc. as there will come a time when we can´t, will not be able to drive.

Just a point on this, obviously it depends on your own circumstances but it may be that there are lots of other things that you can't do before you find you can't drive. My mother in law is 86 and is still driving but she is no longer able to take care of her garden or do her own cleaning. She has someone to clean for her and a guy that mows the lawn and her kids and their spouses help with the other stuff. If you are choosing a property with a view to staying there in to old age then you also need to consider ease of maintenance of the inside and outside and ease of getting around generally. I would avoid anywhere with much of a slope and anywhere with stairs. No reason why you can't have land just make sure it's something you will be able to look after, or pay someone else to look after for you.

And apologies if I'm telling you stuff you are already well aware of.

Just a point on this, obviously it depends on your own circumstances but it may be that there are lots of other things that you can't do before you find you can't drive. My mother in law is 86 and is still driving but she is no longer able to take care of her garden or do her own cleaning. She has someone to clean for her and a guy that mows the lawn and her kids and their spouses help with the other stuff. If you are choosing a property with a view to staying there in to old age then you also need to consider ease of maintenance of the inside and outside and ease of getting around generally. I would avoid anywhere with much of a slope and anywhere with stairs. No reason why you can't have land just make sure it's something you will be able to look after, or pay someone else to look after for you.

And apologies if I'm telling you stuff you are already well aware of.

Funnily enough, the couple whose house we bought, they were both in their 80's and very keen gardeners but were downsizing on their garden space and bought a place up in Stirling. Apparently they filled it with plants in pots and its stunning but much much smaller for them to manage so they can continue to do themselves for as long as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Sprinter . . . if you wish to have an upmarket suburb with good sized blocks, Beaumont and St Georges in the eastern suburbs are worth a look, though if you wish to be even closer to the city, try Toorak Gardens or Dulwich. However wherever you choose depends on your budget, and of course the further away you go from the city, the more you get.

• 1 year later...

Just bumping up my old thread as we have just got our 405 visa and will be coming house hunting early in the new year. Hopefully we will find what we are looking for, a quiet area with a good community feel about it, not near schools, with good views, reasonable size garden, house, and a must a decent garage. 800k budget, not near the beach, new info on any areas to look at or avoid very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Willunga might suit - quite a way out of the city but the transport is good (bus to Seaford then the train in or while you're still driving it's under an hour to the city on the Expressway) although you've got McLaren Vale, Aldinga, Seaford and Noarlunga for everyday shopping. There's definitely a sense of community in Willunga and always loads going on.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-willunga-124078470

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-mclaren+vale-124138026

Or moving out towards Kangarilla (there's someone on here who's recently moved in with their son on a property in Kangarilla), or up towards Meadows.

• 3 weeks later...
Just bumping up my old thread as we have just got our 405 visa and will be coming house hunting early in the new year. Hopefully we will find what we are looking for, a quiet area with a good community feel about it, not near schools, with good views, reasonable size garden, house, and a must a decent garage. 800k budget, not near the beach, new info on any areas to look at or avoid very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Come and have a look at Highbury - we are next to Linear Park and it's beautiful here. We belong to the local community garden and have got to know lots of neighbours through that. Stonyfell is nice too. If you drop me a message when you arrive, I'd be happy to meet for a coffee with you on a day I'm not working maybe when you are checking areas out.

Come and have a look at Highbury - we are next to Linear Park and it's beautiful here. We belong to the local community garden and have got to know lots of neighbours through that. Stonyfell is nice too. If you drop me a message when you arrive, I'd be happy to meet for a coffee with you on a day I'm not working maybe when you are checking areas out.

we are at Highbury too and love it. We live just near the community gardens and they are fab. Foothills of Adelaide are the best in my opinion but depends what you like..