Help regarding 820 Partner Visa

becky2015

I arrived here on a PMV 300 visa. Got Married in Jan was granted my 820 in March only took 2 months.

However the only documents I had uploaded were my ID and character information.

Case Officer told me he did not require any information about my relationship as this was assessed when I applied for my PMV.

I am just confused how long I wait for my permanent visa. I have been told I will get an email in 2years to provide further information. Wondering if I should upload this now.

However I have concerns about the finincial side as I am unable to gain ongoing work until I am a permenant resident. We both do not want joint bank accounts. I put money into my husbands account.

The social stuff I am not sure about as there is nothing we attend with both our names on. We have different interests but watch movies together and go for meals. Just wondering how in depth information they require.

Would like to know if anyone as been granted this before the 2 years?

Thank you

It won't happen before the 2 years as that is the timeframe they work to for this visa.

With regards to what evidence you'll need to provide at the 2 year mark it will be to show your relationship is ongoing, you are still a couple and so forth. Its no good uploading things now as you are still very early on into the 2 year period and you need to provide evidence for the entire 2 years when the time comes. So just stockpile it now for when its needed.

Having things like bank statements to you both at the same address, does not need to be a joint account, just the same shared address. Other things like showing you both listed on your driving licences as at the same address, car/s insured in your names etc. Bills if you pay them seperately or are listed one or the other, again, its showing you living a shared life together. Medicare, you can be listed on the same card IIRC, hubby and I are with our child. If not, you'll still be at the same address. Also if you lease or own a property, you would be better to both be named on the paperwork. And if you move in the meantime, keep a copy of the lease etc. Money moving between accounts is also fine :)

You'll both need to write further supporting statements when the time comes I think. This can cover the social things and all the other info they may be wanting. And also provide 2 other stat decs from Aus citizens who know you can will vouch your relationship is still ongoing at the 2 year mark.

With regard to work, it would be a shame if people were refusing you work because its a temp visa you are on. Many partners come over on a temp partner visa or go onto it after marrying on a PMV and have the same visa as yourself. I know of quite a few on temp partner visas and all have found work on it if they have been looking, some casual, some permanent. And now some are reaching the 2 year point and are in the process of submitting for their permanent partner visa. Its not an unusual visa to be on and perhaps prospective employers don't understand you go straight to PR at the end of the 2 years providing you are still a couple and meet the requirements and provide the information DIAC are wanting.

Thank you Snifter for that information.

I was just a bit concerned about having enough information. As my name is not on the Moratage he tells me he tried to get my

name put on but was told he would have to cancel the loan and re-start which would cost about $3,000.

Just hope we will have enough evidence as I like to go out but he prefers to stay in so when we go out it is to the movies or for a meal.

I work for Correctionals all Public Sector jobs will not give you a permanent contract until you are a permanent resident.

Which is worrying for me.

It won't happen before the 2 years as that is the timeframe they work to for this visa.

With regards to what evidence you'll need to provide at the 2 year mark it will be to show your relationship is ongoing, you are still a couple and so forth. Its no good uploading things now as you are still very early on into the 2 year period and you need to provide evidence for the entire 2 years when the time comes. So just stockpile it now for when its needed.

Having things like bank statements to you both at the same address, does not need to be a joint account, just the same shared address. Other things like showing you both listed on your driving licences as at the same address, car/s insured in your names etc. Bills if you pay them seperately or are listed one or the other, again, its showing you living a shared life together. Medicare, you can be listed on the same card IIRC, hubby and I are with our child. If not, you'll still be at the same address. Also if you lease or own a property, you would be better to both be named on the paperwork. And if you move in the meantime, keep a copy of the lease etc. Money moving between accounts is also fine :)

You'll both need to write further supporting statements when the time comes I think. This can cover the social things and all the other info they may be wanting. And also provide 2 other stat decs from Aus citizens who know you can will vouch your relationship is still ongoing at the 2 year mark.

With regard to work, it would be a shame if people were refusing you work because its a temp visa you are on. Many partners come over on a temp partner visa or go onto it after marrying on a PMV and have the same visa as yourself. I know of quite a few on temp partner visas and all have found work on it if they have been looking, some casual, some permanent. And now some are reaching the 2 year point and are in the process of submitting for their permanent partner visa. Its not an unusual visa to be on and perhaps prospective employers don't understand you go straight to PR at the end of the 2 years providing you are still a couple and meet the requirements and provide the information DIAC are wanting.

Just write your statements when the time comes and explain that :) I don't have many interests I share with my hubby and we don't go out much either so didn't really have anything along those lines when I applied for my partner visa. OK we had a child together and stuff but we didn't have much in the way of social things. I wrote in my statement I supported his cycling and competing, went along to races etc and he said the same sort of thing from his side, how he supported my interests. Doesn't mean we share the same ones though :)

They just want ongoing proof you are still a couple once the two year mark comes round. If you've bills and stuff going to your address to both or one or the other of you, that is fine. If your husband explains why you are not yet added to the mortgage, all good. Perhaps look at taking out a life insurance policy where one of you names the other or make wills naming each other.

The social side of things, perhaps keep Christmas cards from family sent to you both with postmark date on envelope (if you get them). Get the odd photo of you both with other family at a family event. Keep invites to weddings or events which names you both together. You've plenty of time over the next year plus to get stuff like this together when it comes along.

ETA - The work front, hopefully it will remain an ongoing position in a casual role. It seems many here are in casual jobs long term. Down side is no holidays or sick but the jobs are long term. Try not to fret overly about it. If work comes to an end, cross that bridge then and seek other work. Being a migrant can be tough going sometimes with visas and some limitations having certain ones but while you are working its a positive and you hopefully would find another job in the future if need be :)

Edited by snifter