Adelaide/UK place names

Jessica Berry

We used to live near Brentwood in Essex and there was Thorndon Park nearby. Across in Athelstone here there is also a Thorndon Park. Turns out both were named/created by members of the same Petrie family. Athelstone itself is named after Helston in Cornwall (where we spent out honeymoon many hundreds of years ago)

My great aunt was very excited when I first moved here and told here we were living in Plympton. 'There is a Plympton near here'. Turns out it was named after the one in Devon lol.

Yep - my mum lives there; last time she was here every time we drove past the sign we meant to stop and get a photo but didn't quite manage it.

• 4 weeks later...
What were your thoughts on the UK,any thoughts of a return or settled here for sure.?

We always enjoy our visits back to the UK and seeing family and friends. We become tourists in our old country! The reasons why we decided to emigrate are all still there (and many aspects have got worse since we left) and we feel we have a higher standard of living here and a more pleasant day to day life.

Modbury!There's one in Devon and one in Adelaide where I grew up!

Diane I didn't know Athelstone was named after Helston?My daughter lives near the Cornwall one.

... ask your daughter if the Port Navas Yacht Club is still there? When we went, it was a little shack on the end of a jetty...ah, memories! (It was a LONG time ago!!!)