British foods

Blossom

It's been a while since we've had a post about this. I know, some of you think you shouldn't want English food when you move here, but let me tell you, as a female, some times of the month all you want it comfort food lol.

Someone posted a little while ago about the reject shop having whipsa bars. They did! And they were amazing! I'm not sure if they still have them as I got my fix so haven't needed to go back lol.

I've just discovered a place in Middleton called the English Pork Pie shop. It's the first place I've found who's pork pies are perfect! They have jelly and everything! They do scotch eggs and black puddings too. The scotch eggs are nice. I've not tried the black pudding.

Can anyone recommend anywhere else for English foods?

I think that your tastes change over time. I had some chocolate from overseas and it was yucky!:smile:

You do get the cravings for foods though. I think that certain food tastes trigger memories...you get cast back to earlier days by your taste buds!

My OH has a craving for Ready Brek and had me searching local Coles for some. The Brit shop in the Hallett Cove shopping centre has plenty of choice and I like to get things there (at a price though).

The Foodland in Seaford has a selection of food...wine gums and midget gems!

The Aldi in Noarlunga is under construction...2016 and a whole load of tastes get aroused!:smile:

The "Brit" shop in Hallet Cove has closed Tamara, or maybe it's moved and nobody told me! There's a couple of wonderful cheese stalls in Central Market and I reckon at least one them sells proper Lancashire cheese. I don't really miss anything anymore except KP dry roasted peanuts but I have a lovely mummy who sends me regular supplies!

Decent black pudding would be nice will try your recommendation Blossom as a proper pork pie would also be nice. I miss foods from all over though not just UK. Will be getting some Aleppo chilli flakes brought over soon. Cannot get them in SA, even at shops that sell Turkish foods.....unless someone knows different!

Tea Pigs peppermint and liquorice tea bags.

most things I can find at a price though.

I love the range of Asian food in the supermarket here though.

I miss Pot Noddles - I know you can get them here but I don't really subscribe to that. Just had two weeks in the UK though and ate three of them.....yum.

Oh and Cornish Pasties - really miss them, and I mean the real thing - nothing here comes close - not even that place in Glenelg. Been there, done that!

I hear Moonta and that area might have good ones though.

Edited by zebedee

I think that your tastes change over time. I had some chocolate from overseas and it was yucky!

When we were back in the UK a friend gave me a box of Thorntons chocolates and they tasted weird, although we still managed to eat the whole box! I think your tastes do change over time, but every now and again, we get a pommie craving!

There are quite a few online food 'stores".

Has anyone used them?

There's http://www.britishsweets.com.au/ and http://www.ukfoods.com.au/stores.php (which also lists outlets).

For our South African members there's http://www.satooz.com/

My daughter is going overseas on the weekend...and one of the things that she's looking forward to the most is the food...:smile:

Cant ant wait to see what they have and for the other supermarkets to cut their prices because of it ?

I think that your tastes change over time. I had some chocolate from overseas and it was yucky!:smile:

You do get the cravings for foods though. I think that certain food tastes trigger memories...you get cast back to earlier days by your taste buds!

My OH has a craving for Ready Brek and had me searching local Coles for some. The Brit shop in the Hallett Cove shopping centre has plenty of choice and I like to get things there (at a price though).

The Foodland in Seaford has a selection of food...wine gums and midget gems!

The Aldi in Noarlunga is under construction...2016 and a whole load of tastes get aroused!:smile:

It's mostly biscuits and fromage frais that I miss although we've just had a delivery of bourbons, Rich Tea, custard creams, Farley's Rusks and Maryland hazelnut cookies so we pretty sated at the moment.

My main consternation is still with dairy products - ice cream with gelatine, and too much water in the butter but other than that we're fairly well adapted.

PRAWN COCKTAIL CRISPS....... Got to be seabrook! Oh and chippy fish chips n curry sauce! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Do you get Seabrook crisps throughout the UK? I had them from a corner shop in West Yorkshire nearly 15 years ago! I have to agree with you there are just some tastes that you miss.

Being an original West Yorkshire girl (huddersfield) Seabrook were and still are the best! However i did find them on the other side of the Pennines Aka Lancashire when we were home for a visit in July! SEABROOK.............it's a northern thing

I thought that it might be. I was in Batley when I had some. I ran a salon in Weston for 6 months but could only find those crisps when I visited the in laws in Batley!

• 3 weeks later...

dead right there....Aussie pasties have horrible fatty flakey pastry and just don't seem seasoned right

Luckily South Australia has a very vibrant Cornish community (in fact, its the only place you can learn the Kernewek langauge outside the UK)

Prices Bakery based in the Cornish triangle (Moonta- Kadina-Walleroo) have lots of outlets around Adelaide

-:swoon: We also get Oggies occasionally

John B

For the first time ever I spotted Hellmanns mayo and Branston pickle in my local Coles. And not in the imported from the UK section. Just on the shelf in the sauce section and the pickle section.

$4.50 for a jar of Branstons. Not bad. The mayo was a $ or two more. Wasn't interesested in that as I've found a few Aus mayos I like.

For the first time ever I spotted Hellmanns mayo and Branston pickle in my local Coles. And not in the imported from the UK section. Just on the shelf in the sauce section and the pickle section.

$4.50 for a jar of Branstons. Not bad. The mayo was a $ or two more. Wasn't interesested in that as I've found a few Aus mayos I like.

helmans has been on the normal shelves of my local Coles (3 of them I move around) for a LONG time. The one closest to my old house way before I moved from there and that was two years ago.