Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep

Thumbs up Advice on where to start looking at Suburbs

Hi Everyone

I've been browsing this site for a few weeks and it really has been invaluable! Thankyou!

So now i'm jumping in and looking for some advice please..

My husband has been offered a job in SA and it is likely to be in south/eastern suburbs initially. We will be on 457 visa if all goes to plan and i wondered if anyone would be able to point us in the direction of suburbs to consider?

I totally understand that opinions will be subjective and it's a hard one to answer but to give it a bit more context

• We have 4 children so ideally need 4 bedrooms
      • We will be renting, and looking for nice but ultimately affordable areas as we will be keeping on our home in the UK for the time being, but need to budget for times when this may be void
      • Ideally, we would prefer to be somewhere with shops/cafes/schools within walking distance but getting into the CBD daily is not a big priority
      • MOST IMPORTANTLY we are looking for somewhere with good, welcoming schools and playgroups and lots of variety in terms of activities to get the children settled quickly.

We won't have to opportunity to do a reccie visit beforehand but will have a few weeks in a short term rental to sort out a long-term place to stay. As we will all land at once it would be useful for us to have a short-list of areas to look at before we arrive

Thanks in advance for any replies

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Welcome to the forum. Just so you are aware your first few posts will not appear until they have been approved by a mod.

In terms of suburbs pretty much most places I know meet your criteria to some extent. Some have more shops etc, some less. Any of the Eastern suburbs would be fine although they can be pricey but you don't mention how much you are looking at spending on rent per week. If your OH is going to be working south and East then I would recommend basing yourself somewhere south east. Getting across or around the city can be a real pain, so the best place to be would depend on exactly where south and East he would be working.

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Thanks for the quick reply Nic,
      The location is yet to be settled, all we have is southern and eastern suburbs so far, and rents we would want to keep as low as we can to achieve a big enough property in a nice family friendly area.
      Any suggestions where to start looking to get ideas?

Title
      Port Noarlunga, Adelaide, South Australia
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      There are so many opinions when it comes to where to settle! There are so many different areas as as NicF has said it may depend upon budget, schools and lifestyle that you are looking for.
      There is a section on this site that has info on some of the suburbs.
      I live in the south and have a bias towards this region but that doesn't mean that there aren't some wonderful areas elsewhere. There are popular areas in the east, country living with easy access to all amenities, and a range of beachside suburbs that will all tick your boxes.
      A 4 bedroomed rental will be more expensive (most are 3 beds).
      Many new migrants do decide to live along the coastal belt from Henley to Aldinga! Best bet is to rent for a few weeks, get a hire car and do some exploring when you get here. I have encountered many people who were adamant that they were going to live in a specific location...only to change their minds when they arrived and had a look around.
      Adelaide Furnished Rentals. MIGRANT and HOLIDAY HOMES with unlimited internet in popular PORT NOARLUNGA. Walk to beaches, shops, stations. McLaren Vale 12, city 30 mins, beaches 2 mins away. Longer rentals (3 to 12 month) at discounted rates. Australian Business Number: 65261457068

www.homesdownunder.com.au

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Thanks Tamara that's really helpful. Unless we could find a very big 3 bed i think we would probably be looking for 4, as we have a 9 year son who is seriously outnumbered by his sisters

Yes, am trying to keep an open mind and not getting set on areas as probably even a few weeks isn't a great timescale to get a real feel for places but that said i don't really want to set up the children in school to move them again in 6 months Plan is, as you suggested to have a few weeks in a short term rental and car hire while we sort out transport, a long term rental and school.
      Thanks for the replies

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      The tricky part about south/east is that the eastern suburbs are the more established ones (and therefore quite pricey) but south covers quite a lot of area - especially if you need to be getting back up onto the eastern side of the city regularly. Adelaide looks easy enough to drive around (and mostly it is) but it's the traffic lights that can slow you down. Places like Flagstaff Hill, Happy Valley and that sort of area are probably your best bet to begin with rather than coastal south (Hallet Cove, Seaford etc).

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/wi...5159%3b/list-1 These for example are in that general area and have 4 bedrooms (and obviously vary in price per week). Most suburbs have a central shopping area but car is most definitely king so being able to walk to school and shops depends on how far you're happy to walk... We live in McLaren Vale (probably too far south for you at this stage) and one of the reasons for that was because everything (on a daily needs basis) is walk-able but everything else is a drive, including the high school.

Trying to choose somewhere to live in a city you don't know is really overwhelming and you really can't know until you arrive what works for you. Changing schools isn't ideal but it's not so unusual - we started off in the city for our fist year and then moved south when we bought; moving the children again, it was unsettling but we promised them we wouldn't move area again until they'd all finished at high school giving them a bit of stability after 18 months of uncertainty and we've been in this house now for 2 years and it seems to be working.

Good luck with your move.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Flossybeth covers a lot of points I was about to

I'll also second that moving schools to a preferred area later on is not a bad thing. We moved our son after 7 months when we moved from Glenelg up into the foothills and its been a great move school wise. We also keep in touch with 4 of his mates from his first school here, plus their parents. And he's loving his new school, made new friends there and IMHO its a much better standard of school all round. I also know someone who moved their kids abour 2 years in when they moved further out and eventually the extended school run got too much so they transferred to a school nearer to their home. Their kids are happy and settled in well though it did take a little while for one of them to find their feet and all good now.

Cheaper suburbs can be found in the south along the coast. The closer to the city, the more the rents tend to be.

A 4 bed down south will be a lot less than one in the eastern side.

Happy Valley, Flagstaff Hill and a few others round there might tick your boxes to begin with. Often 4 beds can be found in Flagstaff Hill but not sure of the rental prices. And location wse

I really don't know your budget nor will ask but I'm going to offer up a mention to the Eden Hills, Blackwood, Coromandel Valley, Hawthorndene area. Property will cost a bit more rent and to buy wise but there are some lovely schools in the area (primary and high schools). Its also an area that would give you decent access to the south and also the east. You could take the Coromandel Valley road and cut across from there to get anywhere south. They are older suburbs, some with some lovely shopping areas, main streets and so on. Also easy access into the hills, Belair National Park (I recently discovered it as a great place to head with kids for a wander, play park and other things).

You've probably already seen this but its worth a read and to check out the links in it http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/...gh-school.html

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Eden Hills and Blackwood areas wouldn't be too bad. Be wary of going anywhere too far south until you know how often and where in the east your OH will be working. As someone who lives in the east and has travelled south on many occasion I can confidently say that travelling to the eastern suburbs from the south, and especially from the south west (and from the east to the south), can be a real pain. And I've never done it at rush hour. Somewhere around the south eastern corner, like Mitcham, would probably be the best bet but those suburbs can also be very pricey. I'd have a think about budget for rentals and then have a look on realestate.com.au at what you can get in the way of 4 bed houses for that money. Then have a look at schools in those areas to see what you think. We ruled out a few areas because we weren't impressed with the schools.

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Hiya - what they say ^^ !

But also with your son being nine, do consider high schools in the area as well as primaries. He is probably in Year 4 or thereabouts (?) so you have a few years yet, but ifyou go further out for cheaper rent, you may find yourself having a more limited school choice.
      Sometimes the grass will appear greener on the other side because it has been fertilised by bull****

Title
      Port Noarlunga, Adelaide, South Australia
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
      Hiya - what they say ^^ !

But also with your son being nine, do consider high schools in the area as well as primaries. He is probably in Year 4 or thereabouts (?) so you have a few years yet, but ifyou go further out for cheaper rent, you may find yourself having a more limited school choice.
      That is very true unless private was an option.
      Adelaide Furnished Rentals. MIGRANT and HOLIDAY HOMES with unlimited internet in popular PORT NOARLUNGA. Walk to beaches, shops, stations. McLaren Vale 12, city 30 mins, beaches 2 mins away. Longer rentals (3 to 12 month) at discounted rates. Australian Business Number: 65261457068

www.homesdownunder.com.au

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast